why cant i find any classic diplomacy games

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
JuiceWRLD

why cant i find any classic diplomacy games

#1 Post by JuiceWRLD » Wed May 01, 2019 2:47 am

I can never find and classic games of diplomacy on here, is anyone else having the same issue?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: why cant i find any classic diplomacy games

#2 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed May 01, 2019 3:04 am

It happens sometimes when there are tournaments going on, or when variants spike in popularity.

If you want to get a game going, shoot me a message - I'll join. And I could probably get enough to fill up a game.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#3 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Wed May 01, 2019 4:22 am

I almost exclusively get into games through the forum. The players are often better and more reliable.

osric_athanasius

#4 Post by osric_athanasius » Wed May 01, 2019 6:01 am

Yeah. I even posted a classic game recently and there was not enough players for it to start. So demand for classic games in low at the moment. I see tournament and chaos the likely culprits.

LeonWalras

#5 Post by LeonWalras » Wed May 01, 2019 10:53 pm

I say we remove the bad variants like world and american empire now that chaos fulfills the niche of a many player map. That should free up some more players for classic. Or at least classic chaos.

Magnetic24

#6 Post by Magnetic24 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:20 am

LeonWalras wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:53 pm
I say we remove the bad variants like world and american empire now that chaos fulfills the niche of a many player map. That should free up some more players for classic. Or at least classic chaos.
World is my favorite variant and it's clear that a lot feel the same way. There's a small but loyal fanbase there.

Although I don't have anything against Empire4, it's clear that Modern > Empire. But I don't think that removing variants is the right strategy here. I'm in a game of each and playing World does not discourage me from taking up three chaos games.