"Orders completed, but not ready for next turn"

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
penguinflying

"Orders completed, but not ready for next turn"

#1 Post by penguinflying » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Good morning. Just getting back after years away.

If I enter orders but don't click "ready" by the deadline, what happens? Will the orders I've entered be executed? It seems like once I click "ready" I stop getting notified of new messages. My inclination then is never to click "ready" at all, as long as my orders will still go through. What is the purpose of this distinction? What are the relevant etiquette rules? What other considerations am I not thinking of?

Many thanks.

Claesar

Re: "Orders completed, but not ready for next turn"

#2 Post by Claesar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:26 pm

penguinflying wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm
Good morning. Just getting back after years away.

If I enter orders but don't click "ready" by the deadline, what happens? Will the orders I've entered be executed? It seems like once I click "ready" I stop getting notified of new messages. My inclination then is never to click "ready" at all, as long as my orders will still go through. What is the purpose of this distinction? What are the relevant etiquette rules? What other considerations am I not thinking of?

Many thanks.
Your saved orders will be executed when the deadline rolls around. Always save orders asap so you won't fail to move!

After you ready, you will still receive notifications of new messages.

If you and every other player press "Ready", the turn will be executed immediately. It progresses the turn faster. A lot of people appreciate this, but it's never mandatory. If you Ready, the next deadline is moved forward as well which may be at a more or less convenient time to you.

penguinflying

Re: "Orders completed, but not ready for next turn"

#3 Post by penguinflying » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks so much: very helpful.