Difference between Draw/Cancel

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Josafina

Difference between Draw/Cancel

#1 Post by Josafina » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:46 pm

First, I am new to this site and relatively new to Diplomacy. The question I have is about a gunboat game, so if this question is inappropriate please tell me and I will take down this post.

In this game both England and France have not entered orders for the first two turns. So, my question is whether there is a difference between voting draw or cancel in relation to the bet placed. Will England and France get there bet back if I vote draw or cancel or both? Basically I find it highly annoying and inappropriate to sign up for a game that you are not going to play so I don't think they should get there bet back.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Kingdroid

Re: Difference between Draw/Cancel

#2 Post by Kingdroid » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 pm

cancel = game never existed

draw = split pot according to the rules of the game. so if it's draw-size scoring, everyone who is still in the game will get an equal split of the pot.

Now, if England and France go into Civil Disorder, they would no longer get a portion of the pot if you drew.

either vote requires 100% of the players to choose it for it to succeed.

Deeply_Dippy

#3 Post by Deeply_Dippy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 pm

First of all, welcome to the site (and to this marvellous game).

At the risk of sounding condescening - which isn't my intention - vote Draw means the game ends as a draw, vote Cancel and the game is cancelled.

Exactly how the points are divided in the eveny of a draw will depend on the scoring system being used, but - yes - if your opponent is alive when the draw goes through, they'll get something back points-wise.

If the game gets cancelled then every one gets all their points back. It's as if the game had never been played.

The other thing to remember is that all votes must be unanimous to go through. You can vote all you like but unless everyone agrees, nothing will go through. getting that agreement could be tricky in a Gunboat game as you can't communicate with the other players.

Of course, if two players haven't entered orders, it's perhaps quickler just to eliminate them. They'll be out of position and hopelessly exposed (hopefully).

Hope that helps.

Deeply_Dippy

#4 Post by Deeply_Dippy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 pm

And to take kingdriod's point, CD doesn't count as 'alive'.

Josafina

#5 Post by Josafina » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Great, that really helps. Thanks to you both!

Claesar

#6 Post by Claesar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Josafina wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:46 pm
First, I am new to this site and relatively new to Diplomacy. The question I have is about a gunboat game, so if this question is inappropriate please tell me and I will take down this post.
As you seem to be aware, it's not allowed to talk about ongoing Gunboats. At the risk of sounding harsh: So don't. Make the question theoretical next time, instead of trying to describe the game in question!

"two players have not entered orders" would've sufficed.

Josafina

#7 Post by Josafina » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Sorry, I just meant I'm not sure where the line is. Not harsh at all and I didn't think of making it hypothetical - but I will know for next time. Thanks for the feedback.

Caloxal

#8 Post by Caloxal » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:17 pm

I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't know the difference
Thanks a lot!