Welcome to the new forum!

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer

Welcome to the new forum!

#1 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:54 am

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the new WebDiplomacy forum. A couple of quick notes for everyone trying out the forum for the first time.

1. The forum now has categories. Diplomacy for topics related to diplomacy, with a subcategory for advice for players seeking to improve their game. There's also a section called General for non diplomacy related topics. Any political threads belong in the General subforum called politics. Game Requests is for anyone looking for upcoming tournaments or interested in setting up custom games. And the forum games is for games like Mafia.
Please try and create new topics in the area that seems best suited to them! The moderator team will move new threads to the appropriate category if needed. The owners and mod team will be looking into category usage over the next couple of weeks and making adjustments as needed.

2. Yes, the forum rules located at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php do still apply. Please make sure to follow them and be respectful!

3. Old threads have NOT been moved over. We need to test out the new forum's performance on the server with all of you using it before we start migrating threads. Some, if not all, threads will eventually be moved. Stay tuned for further updates on this.

4. Yes, there is a new private message system, and no we have not disabled the old one yet. Please try out the new PM system (it will save your last 100 pm's) and let us know what you think!

5. No, the mobile view will not work perfectly with the new forum, so if you experience problems please use the "enable Desktop View" at the bottom of the page. We are looking into solutions.

6. If you have donated to the site in the past you have been placed into a group so your name will show up with your donator level color in the new forum. I was only able to do this for users who had already logged into the new forum. A couple days after the launch of the new forum I will do this again to catch the rest of our donators. Thank you all for your contributions to the site!

7. Yes, you can edit posts for up to 5 minutes after you post them, except in the Forum games section to accommodate games like Mafia which depend on non changing posts. (This point was ironically added after with an edit)

8. Last but not least! A huge thank you to Kestasjk for the work on this forum, to Zultar for organizing this work, and to the mod team for large amounts of help testing. As well as ghug, DemonOverlord, Captainmeme, and CommanderByron who all also helped with testing various configuration changes over the past several weeks.

Questions? Post them below.

Add on points:

1. To setup your timezone go to ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info and click "Board Preferences" and change your timezone to whatever zone you are on.

Durga

Re: Welcome to the new forum!

#2 Post by Durga » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:15 am

Honestly, you've worked and volunteered a ridiculous amount of time for this forum and we're all super appreciative. Thank you so much Jmo! They should pay you ;) and thanks to kestas ofc.

bo_sox48
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by bo_sox48 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:52 am

A few things to add onto what jmo already said:

1. When this new forum goes live, there are going to be some issues and we are going to need both your help and patience in order to sort them out. This is by far the largest single development project in recent memory and that means that it is going to be a learning process for all of us, including those of us that have been testing and experimenting with these new functions for many weeks now.

2. On that note, you will notice some changes that you probably don't like. Right now, there are no +1s. Hopefully we can implement them again. As jmo mentioned, old threads can't be moved to this new forum yet and we don't know yet if it is still possible to view old threads. We're working on continuing as many of the good parts of the old forum as we can while also taking advantage of the new features associated with this one.

3. You can format posts now! Play around with the new formatting tools and see what you think.

4. The new categories are the only categories that we are going to have for the time being. However, if you have a suggestion for a change or if it becomes apparent that we should have different subforum, we can look into that. One of the best parts about this new forum is that we can adjust its structure very easily.

5. To reiterate, the regular forum rules (http://webdiplomacy.net/rules.php#Forum Rules) still apply. However, in the near future, the Politics forum will have its own separate set of rules. The moderator team has a lot of things to work through with this new forum so stay tuned and we will have an update.

6. If you want to give us constructive feedback about this new forum, let's have a discussion about it here in this thread. If you have a specific issue with a feature or think you have found something that isn't working properly, please send an email to webdipmod@gmail.com. You are also welcome to email us with any concerns that you would like to keep private.

7. Lastly, but not least, jmo was instrumental in this entire process from beginning to end. He is one of the most helpful hands that this site has ever had in development work and has gone way beyond what was asked of him countless times. His contributions to this new forum are endless and he deserves a thank you.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:45 pm

Uhhh... Why did this new forum just go live on webDip without any notice?

chluke

#5 Post by chluke » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 am

Thank you to all those who worked on this! :-D

Any chance the new forum will be able to hide login and last login status, to make anonymous games truly fully anonymous? :?:

JamesYanik

#6 Post by JamesYanik » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:22 am

Wait but I can't see how many points people have! How will I know who is smart and not??? and does (D) still work?

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

JamesYanik

#7 Post by JamesYanik » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 am

Oh my god. there's no Karma.

oh but I found the :points: :points: thingy. ok this is fine, I can still make people mad about politics here

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer

#8 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:30 am

You can make them mad about politics in the "Politics" subforum in General only.
:-D

jason4747

#9 Post by jason4747 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:31 am

DemonOverlord wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:15 am
Honestly, you've worked and volunteered a ridiculous amount of time for this forum and we're all super appreciative. Thank you so much Jmo! They should pay you ;) and thanks to kestas ofc.
I concur! Thanks guys

President Eden

#10 Post by President Eden » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:34 am

JamesYanik wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:22 am
Wait but I can't see how many points people have! How will I know who is smart and not???
Underrated

goldfinger0303

#11 Post by goldfinger0303 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:47 am

I like that I can see that our newest member is Heywood Jablowme

leon1122

#12 Post by leon1122 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 am

I have an issue. All the posts are showing up in the wrong time zone. How do you set your timezone?

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer

#13 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:11 am

Ah that's a good point. Go to ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info

Click "Board Preferences" and change your timezone to whatever zone you are on.

I have also updated the thread opening post with this information.

Yigg

#14 Post by Yigg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 am

"The little lights are not twinkling."
-Art

MajorMitchell
Location: As directed by The Fire Breathing MemSahib, Her Imperiousness Indoors lying on a sofa eating​ cakes

#15 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 am

Where has the Ashes Test Cricket thread gone ? I've tried searches using "Cricket" .. nothing shows up. Do I have to start a new thread ?

bo_sox48
Admin
Admin

#16 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 am

The old forum is still available and you can get to it from the front page of the site, for now. It isn't going to be there for a whole lot longer. Once we have had the opportunity to parse through everything while the new forum is live and confirm that it actually works as it is intended to and doesn't hinder the site in any unexpected ways, it will be closed. Those threads haven't been moved over to this forum and I still haven't heard if there is a way to actually move them over to this forum at all.

If things don't get moved over when the old forum gets closed, then you should definitely make a new thread.

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer

#17 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:56 am

To clarify 2 points.

1. If the missing thread was a test thread on the new forum, I probably removed it. I deleted a TON of test threads from here to make sure it was nice and pretty and free of mod power testing when everyone switched over.

2. Some threads will be moved over eventually. It'll probably just take some time. And it may be limited to things like SoW threads.

CptMike

#18 Post by CptMike » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:17 am

Thank you for the hard work!

eturnage

#19 Post by eturnage » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 pm

awesome

so clean

orathaic

#20 Post by orathaic » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:19 pm

@
However, if you have a suggestion for a change or if it becomes apparent that we should have different subforum
Might i suggest a suggestion subforum? Cause it was too meta not to...