Tiny Hunt I (Mafia Variant)

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
WarLegend

Tiny Hunt I (Mafia Variant)

#1 Post by WarLegend » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Hello Everyone! I’m Co-moding the current game with Ike, but I also wanted to share a mafia variant that I think is pretty great. The idea behind it is to enhance the fun for everyone (dying doesnt end the game, everyone has a power role… etc). It is a variant of Witch Hunt, made by chocolatepi (on a different website). The game has been playtested quite a few times, lots of tweaks so it's pretty balanced.

This is kind of a different from what it looks like you guys usually play, So I thought I would throw this out as a feeler. If people like this type of game then I can bring over the ruleset to the real witch hunt as well.

As you can tell by the name, this will be a very small game. 13 players total, so it should be a quickie just to get a feel for this style of game. If there is interest, let me know and I can run the first one.

Of course, this would only happen after the current game is over. Though it is small enough that if someone else wants to run another game concurrently with this one, I don’t think that’d be a problem.

Main differences are:
NO reveal on death
Everyone has a power role
When you die, you are not out of the game!
Witches can talk during day time
Lump, the faithful Panda, is in this game! (elect someone to give extra vote to on D1)

with that said here is the rule list...

WarLegend

Re: Tiny Hunt I (Mafia Variant)

#2 Post by WarLegend » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:37 pm

TinyHunt
A Witch Hunt Variant​

Roles

Village
The Village wins when all members of the Witch Coven are dead, and at least one Villager is alive.

Priest: Each night, check if a player is in the Witch Coven.

Acolyte: At the start of the game, you learn who the Priest is.

Judge: At the end of day, if the Lynch vote is tied or no lynch, you may kill a player of your choosing. This does not count as a lynch for Vigilante purposes.

Vigilante: The first Night after two consecutive lynches of Village members, you may kill a player. A Vigilante kill appears the same as a regular Witch Night Kill.

Oracle: Each night, pick a player. If that player was visited by any other party, you learn how many Witches were alive at the start of that night. Possible Visits: Witch Kill, Vigilante Kill, Priest check, Clown throw, Angel protect - including a deathcurse blocked Angel protect.

Gambler: At the start of the game, choose even or odd. On those nights, you have Protection from a kill.

Leeroy: You may kill yourself to immediately determine the Lynch target, so long as a majority has not been reached. Your death, and who you select will be announced at day end. This does not count as a lynch for Vigilante purposes.

Graverobber: Once per game at night, pick a dead player and learn their role. Witches are told when you do this.

D.O.B.: When you die, choose another player to die with you. Your death and the target you select will be announced at day start if you are killed in the night, or at day end if you die to a lynch.

Clown: Each night, select a player to hit with a pie. Players hit by pies are told, and if you selected the same target as the Priest or Oracle, you have Protection from a kill for that night (though you are not informed you had protection).

Witches
Witches win when all Villagers are dead or nothing can prevent this from happening. Witches can freely communicate with each other and have a nightly kill.

Demon: Each night, you are informed of who the Priest and Oracle visited, but not who visited which player.

Occultist: At the end of each night, you are informed of the Guardian Angels' protection target that night. If the Guardian Angels protect same target two nights in a row without preventing their death, learn that target's role.

Necromancer: Learn the role of players killed by the Witch Night Kill.

Mechanics

Timing: Day One will be X Hours, Day Two and Day Three will be X hours, and Day Four and onwards will be X hours. Nights will be 24 hours.

Lynches: The day ends when the day end timer arrives. The day can be ended prematurely with a HARD LYNCH, which will be roughly 3/4 of the alive players. SOFT LYNCH will be majority, and will determine the lynch at Day End. If a SOFT LYNCH is not reached by Day End, it will go to the Judge, or result in a no lynch. Voting for No Lynch is permissible. There are no deadline votes.

Deaths: Roles are not revealed upon death.

Soup: At night, instead of making the group Night Kill, a Witch may instead choose to drink Soup. Doing so allows them to Match a player to an Innocent role one at a time until they are incorrect or choose to stop. Each correctly Matched player dies. They may do this once per Witch. Dead Witches cannot use Soup.

A successful Match will only give the 'PlayerName has Died' message. On an incorrect match, the message is 'Xanthippe the Witch attempted to Soupkill Yolanda the [Incorrect Role Name], but failed', but if no players have been killed that night with Soup, the identity of the Witch is not revealed - 'A Witch attempted to Soupkill Amelia the [Incorrect Role Name], but failed'.

Lump, the Faithful Panda: On Day 1, there is a plurality vote for Lump to be a player's friend (witches choose who wins a tie). Lump always Lynch votes the same as his friend, adding an extra vote. If Lump's friend dies, Lump leaves the game.

Guardian Angels: Dead players become Angels. Each Night, the Angels decide by plurality vote to Protect a player (tie = no protect). A Protected player can't die to regular kills that night (Vigilante Kill or Witch Night Kill). "No Protect" is a valid vote.

Angels get the results of Priest checks at the end of each night. Angels are unable to give Protection when there are four or fewer living players at the start of night.

Death Curse: Once per game during Day, dead Witches may cast a Death Curse, which renders any Protection that Night ineffective. After casting a Death Curse, the Witch may not vote any further in Angel chat (but can still post in it). Living players are not informed of a Death Curse. Angels are not informed of a Death Curse until the end of that night.

Witches Last Gasp: If a Witch dies to a standard lynch (not judge or leeroy), their power continues to work for the coven that night.

Night Kill Survival: If a player survives being killed at night there is no public announcement made. However, the player is told privately that they survived.

Timing Specific Role Actions: D.O.B, Leeroy and Judge can have pre-queued conditionals set up at all times in their QuickTopics. (Ex: If I reach soft lynch at any point, I wish to activate Leeroy on Player X. Ex #2: I'm currently setting myself to revenge kill Player Y if I die).

Rules

-Only living players may post in the game thread
-You may not post in the game thread during the night phase
-You may not edit or delete posts from the game thread or in any QuickTopics you may be posting in
-You may not privately communicate with anyone except the game moderator unless you're specifically allowed to do so (i.e. the QuickTopics for Witches or Angels). This includes using systems outside the scope of the game to communicate something game related.
-You may not post in codes or ciphers.
-Votes must be bolded, brightly colored, and on a separate line.
-All actions that are not explicitly worded as optional are not optional.
-Moderator decisions are final. Play to the spirit of the game and don't make me make judgement calls.
-Be Nice, and have fun. This is not optional.

Priority

Day Action Priority
-Start of day + Announcements
-Day ends
-Gambler protection choice locked in
-Lynch if majority, allow Judge to pick if no majority or no lynch (if alive)
-Lump joins his friend (Day One only)
-DoB Revenge if lynched
-Witches Death Curse
-Vigilante informed if he can kill

Night Action Priority
-Everything resolves effectively simultaneously, with kill happening last.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by Squigs44 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 am

I'm always down to try a new game. I'd prefer a game not so close in playstyle to Mafia, but I'm down to try this out.

WarLegend

#4 Post by WarLegend » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:48 am

To be clear, this is mafia. Its just a no death reveal mafia, but it is the same idea (the flavor is just witches)

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by bo_sox48 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm down

ChippeRock

#6 Post by ChippeRock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 pm

When does it start?

snowy801

#7 Post by snowy801 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 pm

no reveal best reveal
(won't be playing though)

brainbomb

#8 Post by brainbomb » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 am

/in

yavuzovic

#9 Post by yavuzovic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:11 am

Why not, though I was planning to suggest my variant. I'll wait one more game to publish it. I would also play this. When is it starting?

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by rdrivera2005 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm

It seems to be a mess and funny. Count me in.

yavuzovic

#11 Post by yavuzovic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:16 pm

I think we will play it after tge current game.

ND

#12 Post by ND » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm willing to try

WarLegend

#13 Post by WarLegend » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 pm

This game would start some point after Infinity wars mafia game ends. We’ll talk more about it as that game draws to a close. I just wanted to see if there is any interest, and I’m confident we could get the 13 needed!

bozotheclown

#14 Post by bozotheclown » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 pm

I would like to play since the other game ended.

WarLegend

#15 Post by WarLegend » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:09 pm

OK I guess this game will be run a bit earlier than anticipated.

I do want to say, this ruleset is a bit more advanced than vanilla mafia. So if you feel you don't have much experience, or are still not comfortable with the other version, get a few more games under your belt before you join.

y2kjbk
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#16 Post by y2kjbk » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:07 pm

I want to try this

yavuzovic

#17 Post by yavuzovic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Don't worry y2kjbk, vigilante role is reserved for you

brainbomb