MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
Squigs44
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 pm
Location: America
Karma: 201

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#261 Post by Squigs44 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:13 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm
ghug wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:53 pm
We've always disallowed muting other players. I'd be in favor of maintaining that with regards to foe listings
Aye, ghug... I am assuming that Jamie knows this... and was mildly joking. I am assuming that while he might have listed Brainbomb as a foe... he will voluntarily UNlist him when the game starts.... in five hours.
I am not sure exactly what is banned here. I am not allowed to use the "Foe" tool? I was thinking of using it as a temporary way to get a better read on what is going on when certain people (mentioning no names) fill up the thread with irrelevant stuff...or perhaps to look for side discussions that I missed.
Why dont you just use the Peterbot?

rdrivera2005
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Porto Alegre, Brasil
Karma: 53

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#262 Post by rdrivera2005 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 pm

I have been 8 times VT and 7 times Mafia, maybe it's time to roll PR or third party.

flash2015
Posts: 1213
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth
Karma: 182

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#263 Post by flash2015 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:13 pm
flash2015 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:55 pm


Aye, ghug... I am assuming that Jamie knows this... and was mildly joking. I am assuming that while he might have listed Brainbomb as a foe... he will voluntarily UNlist him when the game starts.... in five hours.
I am not sure exactly what is banned here. I am not allowed to use the "Foe" tool? I was thinking of using it as a temporary way to get a better read on what is going on when certain people (mentioning no names) fill up the thread with irrelevant stuff...or perhaps to look for side discussions that I missed.
Why dont you just use the Peterbot?
You can currently filter for specific users. Unless I missed something I don't see how to filter out specific users.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 306
Contact:

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#264 Post by dargorygel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm

In the Days of Old Forums Past… it was our practice to NOT mute players. I was not around when that ‘rule’ became normal. I assume that it was because while someone might be annoying in their posting, it is MORE annoying (and harmful to understanding the logic of the game) to have players muting each other and later saying (falsely OR honestly) OH… I didn’t see you say THAT.

I don’t know if we need to make “foe-ing” illegal… I would rather we self-police. I would prefer that players realize that blocking someone’s posts doesn’t really help you. Scroll down (lightly reading) and lynch ‘em if you think it is harmful to your win conditions. Besides... his mightiness, the GMingIke has spoken...

LAST game we spoke of allowing +1’s during the game. We said that it seemed like +1’s can’t be used to secretly signal anymore (since we can see WHO +1’d.) We asked that any old timers who could come up with a reason to continue the ban speak up… I don’t think anyone did.

So I will probably be using +1’s this game, at this point.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 306
Contact:

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#265 Post by dargorygel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:19 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 pm
I have been 8 times VT and 7 times Mafia, maybe it's time to roll PR or third party.
Somehow Rdrivera has figured out how to hack EVERY RNG in the interwebs... so he keeps rolling scum. Unfortunately, he MEANT to be hacking so that he rolls town...

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#266 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:26 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 pm
I have been 8 times VT and 7 times Mafia, maybe it's time to roll PR or third party.
You were a pr once. I thought you rolled doc in m26

RagingIke297
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 pm
Location: The Final Frontier
Karma: 130
Contact:

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#267 Post by RagingIke297 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:26 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm
In the Days of Old Forums Past… it was our practice to NOT mute players. I was not around when that ‘rule’ became normal. I assume that it was because while someone might be annoying in their posting, it is MORE annoying (and harmful to understanding the logic of the game) to have players muting each other and later saying (falsely OR honestly) OH… I didn’t see you say THAT.

I don’t know if we need to make “foe-ing” illegal… I would rather we self-police. I would prefer that players realize that blocking someone’s posts doesn’t really help you. Scroll down (lightly reading) and lynch ‘em if you think it is harmful to your win conditions. Besides... his mightiness, the GMingIke has spoken...

LAST game we spoke of allowing +1’s during the game. We said that it seemed like +1’s can’t be used to secretly signal anymore (since we can see WHO +1’d.) We asked that any old timers who could come up with a reason to continue the ban speak up… I don’t think anyone did.

So I will probably be using +1’s this game, at this point.
I am against this for two reasons, 1. I should be getting all the +1's, but more importantly 2. Scum could use this to signal other scum during the day. Not that they will, but I feel like it has potential benefits for scum more so than it does town...
1

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#268 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:26 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm
In the Days of Old Forums Past… it was our practice to NOT mute players. I was not around when that ‘rule’ became normal. I assume that it was because while someone might be annoying in their posting, it is MORE annoying (and harmful to understanding the logic of the game) to have players muting each other and later saying (falsely OR honestly) OH… I didn’t see you say THAT.

I don’t know if we need to make “foe-ing” illegal… I would rather we self-police. I would prefer that players realize that blocking someone’s posts doesn’t really help you. Scroll down (lightly reading) and lynch ‘em if you think it is harmful to your win conditions. Besides... his mightiness, the GMingIke has spoken...

LAST game we spoke of allowing +1’s during the game. We said that it seemed like +1’s can’t be used to secretly signal anymore (since we can see WHO +1’d.) We asked that any old timers who could come up with a reason to continue the ban speak up… I don’t think anyone did.

So I will probably be using +1’s this game, at this point.
I am against this for two reasons, 1. I should be getting all the +1's, but more importantly 2. Scum could use this to signal other scum during the day. Not that they will, but I feel like it has potential benefits for scum more so than it does town...
On sites where reactions are allowed this never happens

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 306
Contact:

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#269 Post by dargorygel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm

"I am against this for two reasons, 1. I should be getting all the +1's, but more importantly 2. Scum could use this to signal other scum during the day. Not that they will, but I feel like it has potential benefits for scum more so than it does town..."
I thought about this... with my analytical hat on... and to me it seemed that any immediate benefit would be lost with the additional info that later game analysis would give town...
BUT you are GM... I will comply. It's what I do. :-)
(and notice that I am already +1ing you)

RagingIke297
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 pm
Location: The Final Frontier
Karma: 130
Contact:

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#270 Post by RagingIke297 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:32 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:26 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm
In the Days of Old Forums Past… it was our practice to NOT mute players. I was not around when that ‘rule’ became normal. I assume that it was because while someone might be annoying in their posting, it is MORE annoying (and harmful to understanding the logic of the game) to have players muting each other and later saying (falsely OR honestly) OH… I didn’t see you say THAT.

I don’t know if we need to make “foe-ing” illegal… I would rather we self-police. I would prefer that players realize that blocking someone’s posts doesn’t really help you. Scroll down (lightly reading) and lynch ‘em if you think it is harmful to your win conditions. Besides... his mightiness, the GMingIke has spoken...

LAST game we spoke of allowing +1’s during the game. We said that it seemed like +1’s can’t be used to secretly signal anymore (since we can see WHO +1’d.) We asked that any old timers who could come up with a reason to continue the ban speak up… I don’t think anyone did.

So I will probably be using +1’s this game, at this point.
I am against this for two reasons, 1. I should be getting all the +1's, but more importantly 2. Scum could use this to signal other scum during the day. Not that they will, but I feel like it has potential benefits for scum more so than it does town...
On sites where reactions are allowed this never happens
This as in reactions being put on posts or this as in signaling?

Foxcastle
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 210

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#271 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm
In the Days of Old Forums Past… it was our practice to NOT mute players. I was not around when that ‘rule’ became normal. I assume that it was because while someone might be annoying in their posting, it is MORE annoying (and harmful to understanding the logic of the game) to have players muting each other and later saying (falsely OR honestly) OH… I didn’t see you say THAT.

I don’t know if we need to make “foe-ing” illegal… I would rather we self-police. I would prefer that players realize that blocking someone’s posts doesn’t really help you. Scroll down (lightly reading) and lynch ‘em if you think it is harmful to your win conditions. Besides... his mightiness, the GMingIke has spoken...

LAST game we spoke of allowing +1’s during the game. We said that it seemed like +1’s can’t be used to secretly signal anymore (since we can see WHO +1’d.) We asked that any old timers who could come up with a reason to continue the ban speak up… I don’t think anyone did.

So I will probably be using +1’s this game, at this point.
I think we should leave the +1 ban on place until it's actually been discussed fully.

The problem is that we can't see when someone +1's. So PlayerX gets mislynched, gets the god thread link, and then goes back and +1's all the posts people made that point out who the scum are. There's no way to tell if those +1 are made during the game or after, but they're certainly something that other players could pick up on and run with.

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#272 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:37 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:32 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:26 pm


I am against this for two reasons, 1. I should be getting all the +1's, but more importantly 2. Scum could use this to signal other scum during the day. Not that they will, but I feel like it has potential benefits for scum more so than it does town...
On sites where reactions are allowed this never happens
This as in reactions being put on posts or this as in signaling?
On the sites I play on where reactions are allowed, scum doesnt go through posts using reactions as codes to teammates. The point of allowing +1's is to applaud good posts, funny posts, ect. If you can see who is doing the +1'ing, it makes it really risky albeit idiotic to start +1'ing PR reads if yer scum. Thatd townclear many ppl if that were ever discovered.

Also coding and encryption is banned. So using +1's as codes could be banned, but I doubt anyone would bother.

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#273 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm
In the Days of Old Forums Past… it was our practice to NOT mute players. I was not around when that ‘rule’ became normal. I assume that it was because while someone might be annoying in their posting, it is MORE annoying (and harmful to understanding the logic of the game) to have players muting each other and later saying (falsely OR honestly) OH… I didn’t see you say THAT.

I don’t know if we need to make “foe-ing” illegal… I would rather we self-police. I would prefer that players realize that blocking someone’s posts doesn’t really help you. Scroll down (lightly reading) and lynch ‘em if you think it is harmful to your win conditions. Besides... his mightiness, the GMingIke has spoken...

LAST game we spoke of allowing +1’s during the game. We said that it seemed like +1’s can’t be used to secretly signal anymore (since we can see WHO +1’d.) We asked that any old timers who could come up with a reason to continue the ban speak up… I don’t think anyone did.

So I will probably be using +1’s this game, at this point.
I think we should leave the +1 ban on place until it's actually been discussed fully.

The problem is that we can't see when someone +1's. So PlayerX gets mislynched, gets the god thread link, and then goes back and +1's all the posts people made that point out who the scum are. There's no way to tell if those +1 are made during the game or after, but they're certainly something that other players could pick up on and run with.
Dead players should not be giving +1's ever
2

Foxcastle
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 210

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#274 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Also, from a gameplay perspective, I would rather players be forced to post content to participate and engage. If you like someone's post, you have to say so, and that helps move the game forward. If you can just +1 it, it creates a low-effort way to participate that doesn't move the game forward.
1

Foxcastle
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 210

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#275 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm
Dead players should not be giving +1's ever
Right, and there's no way to really monitor or enforce that unless +1's remain banned.

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#276 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Its pretty simple the concerns yall both raise

□dont deadpost dont dead+1 shit

□dont use codes or encryption

□+1 funny shit and posts you like. Scum can like good posts by town, simply because.

If yer gonna go thru and worry about who is giving +1's as a scumhunting tool, thats probably a very very tiny way to hunt, highly.unlikely to be effective

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#277 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 pm
Also, from a gameplay perspective, I would rather players be forced to post content to participate and engage. If you like someone's post, you have to say so, and that helps move the game forward. If you can just +1 it, it creates a low-effort way to participate that doesn't move the game forward.
Id like to be high effort
+1 the post
Talk about my +1 of the post
Discuss why the post was great
Encourage others to +1 it
And potentially touch myself over the post

Foxcastle
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: Night Vale
Karma: 210

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#278 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:46 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 pm
Also, from a gameplay perspective, I would rather players be forced to post content to participate and engage. If you like someone's post, you have to say so, and that helps move the game forward. If you can just +1 it, it creates a low-effort way to participate that doesn't move the game forward.
Id like to be high effort
+1 the post
Talk about my +1 of the post
Discuss why the post was great
Encourage others to +1 it
And potentially touch myself over the post
You will always be high effort, Brainbomb :) But not everyone can live up to the standard you set for being involved, and I think it's likely that some amount of posting (actively moving the game forward) would be replaced with +1'ing (passive).

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 306
Contact:

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#279 Post by dargorygel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 pm
Its pretty simple the concerns yall both raise

□dont deadpost dont dead+1 shit

□dont use codes or encryption

□+1 funny shit and posts you like. Scum can like good posts by town, simply because.

If yer gonna go thru and worry about who is giving +1's as a scumhunting tool, thats probably a very very tiny way to hunt, highly.unlikely to be effective
At the risk of a bad precedent... I agree with brain here. :o
I would like to +1 funny, clever, posts. But not if the GM frowns at it. Don't want no frowning GM.

brainbomb
Posts: 5830
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 618

Re: MAFIA XXXVIII Sign Up Thread

#280 Post by brainbomb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Has anyone ever been punished for giving +1's?

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests