MAFIA XXXVII: THE WHEEL OF WEB-TIME

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Foxcastle

Re: MAFIA XXXVII: THE WHEEL OF WEB-TIME

#61 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I am on board with Day One No-Lynch! Unless somebody actually looks scummy, we're just guessing off of gut feelings (worthless) or trying to interpret the joke phase (worse than worthless). And with the serial killer, we're possibly losing three townies a phase, so ##vote no-lynch

DrCJG

#62 Post by DrCJG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

well i think hypo tracker would be a type of hypo claim: a process in which everyone claims a role and action associated with the role... in the newbie mafia game, a hypocop strategy was proposed in which everyone covers for the cop by stating a target and a resulting scan as if they were the cop at the start of each day...

To be honest I was pretty skeptical of it as I felt it may limit the cop pool down making it easier for mafia to NK him... but it seems to be pretty well supported and does/should allow the cop to get information out in case he is NK'd...

Not being very familiar with any of these strategies, I am curious if hypotracker would be useful or some other variant trick... seems the janitor makes it less effective, and a tracker's "scans" are potentially less valuable than a cop's... but I could imagine it has a similar value in helping to get the information out should the tracker be NK'd/SK'd/alerted/shot and whatever ways he can be killed.

RagingIke297

#63 Post by RagingIke297 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm
He said "hypo tracker" not "hypo claim", but what is a hypo claim anyway?
I think its where everyone posts what they would have done with their town PR night actions and their rationale. In a game of this size that would be comically difficult to sort through, though we do have the bot...

yavuzovic

#64 Post by yavuzovic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm against the idea of no-lynch because this game is totally based on gut feelings, unless you're cop and you have guilty reports. Youcan never be sure if they were scum or not.

Also seriously,
brainbomb wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 am
Anybody wanna talk strategy or just lynch me for being strange
this is smelling like bluff. He tries to convince us to that he is innocent but we lynch him for being weird.

yavuzovic

#65 Post by yavuzovic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm

worcej wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 am
On mobile so not a huge post, but considering DrCJG has been mafia now for 2 games in a row, he could totally be it again. ##vote DrCJG 😎
This logic brings us to the idea of teacher is town.

bozotheclown

#66 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm
He said "hypo tracker" not "hypo claim", but what is a hypo claim anyway?
I had to look it up and found the term "hypo claim", but not specifically "hypo tracker", so I assumed that was what he was referring to, with everyone making a tracker claim.

Foxcastle

#67 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:23 pm

No really excited about the hypocla/tracker process, but need to think about it more. Tracker has an incentive to lie to remain hidden, scum have an incentive to lie to cause confusion. How does that help Town?

bozotheclown

#68 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm

I think there could be benefits to everyone making a tracker claim. The downside seems to be that if the tracker detected a scum making a visit, reporting it would likely reveal his identity the mafia immediately, but at least we would be sure to have the results if he was then NKed. I doubt everyone would agree to it, but I would like to hear other opinions.

teacher2

#69 Post by teacher2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 pm

yavuzovic wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm
worcej wrote:
On mobile so not a huge post, but considering DrCJG has been mafia now for 2 games in a row, he could totally be it again. ##vote DrCJG 😎
This logic brings us to the idea of teacher is town.
Its a random die; past games have no bearing on present alignment.

Working through an actual tracker claim logic. Going to discuss in a minute.

DoubtingThomas

#70 Post by DoubtingThomas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Beaincomb voted for me... i will remember this..

bozotheclown

#71 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:23 pm
No really excited about the hypocla/tracker process, but need to think about it more. Tracker has an incentive to lie to remain hidden, scum have an incentive to lie to cause confusion. How does that help Town?
I do not think it would be helpful unless the tracker reported his actual results, so we would know all his results if he was NKed or killed by some other means. The town and the mafia would be making up claims, so the resulting confusion is meant to try to hide the tracker until he is killed or until he feels it is helpful to town to reveal himself and his results.

worcej

#72 Post by worcej » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:35 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 pm
@worcej - you were once Bonnie Parker to my Clyde Barrow, Ethel Rosenberg to my Julius Rosenberg... we were partners in crime... now you are using your incredible deductive skills to throw shade on me:
worcej wrote:
considering DrCJG has been mafia now for 2 games in a row, he could totally be it again. ##vote DrCJG 😎
Alas I can't argue with the logic... but, let me counter with some of my own... considering I have been mafia 2 games in a row, I could totally be town this game... which would be opposite from my past two games... which might mean everyone is an opposite role from their last game.... since this is flash, thedip, and brain's first game... they didn't kill anyone last game... so I think we can be certain one of them is the SK... since Brain is certainly the most erratic I think we can all assume he is a serial killer regardless of his role.
Fair - but this is also D1 and early in it at that, so I am randomly throwing shade for little reasons until more posts roll in :-D

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#73 Post by rdrivera2005 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

The problem with any hipo claim is any other town need to fake the result to claim and this could give info to Mafia, reducing the PR pool. The only advantage is not forcing a PR to claim when he got a scan. This could be interesting for the cop, like proposed in the newbies game, but for the tracker a 1x1 trade seems a good deal for town so no need of an hipo Tracker claim.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#74 Post by rdrivera2005 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm

And I was reading the setup again and feel this could be a bit unbalanced against town, not having a Cop and with a SK around.

worcej

#75 Post by worcej » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm
And I was reading the setup again and feel this could be a bit unbalanced against town, not having a Cop and with a SK around.
The SK does add a fun element to this game, not gunna lie. I am almost excited to potentially see 3 kills in one night lol

Jamiet99uk

#76 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 pm

I do not like the hypo-tracker idea.

By the way, my vote for Brainbomb (or is it "Beancomb" now?) is genuine, not a joke vote. I think he scymslopped.

teacher2

#77 Post by teacher2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:49 pm

So yea, I think tracker should hardclaim right now. Seriously. My logic is below.

BUT PLEASE LET PEOPLE EVALUATE THE LOGIC BEFORE ACTUALLY CLAIMING.

We know we have a doctor and a JOAT. Doctor can protect tracker N1 without interfering with tracker abilities. JOAT can heal tracker N2, without interfering with tracker abilities. Doctor can protect tracker N3 without interfering with tracker abilities.

In other words, having the tracker claim provides a knowntown for 4 days of play. It also likely forces scum to use their roleblock on that slot for three nights, leaving the JOAT free to kill N3 as the suspects narrow, and the doctor free to protect a different potential kill target N2.

Now, lets acknowledge the downside – it loses our only investigative role. But a tracker really isn’t as powerful as a cop. It cannot detect the scum kill so long as the ninja is alive. It can detect the serial killer, but that role is a threat to scum as well as town.

So that’s my logic and my view. BUT BEFORE CLAIMING LET PEOPLE RESPOND.

Jamiet99uk

#78 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:49 pm

worcej wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm
The SK does add a fun element to this game, not gunna lie. I am almost excited to potentially see 3 kills in one night lol
There could be a lot more than 3 deaths in a single night. I believe we worked out in the sign-up thread that up to 6 people could die in a single night (like if a whole load of people visit the Veteran, and the Mafia and SK kills also go through).

Jamiet99uk

#79 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Teacher's theory
is
interesting.

We should
discuss
it.

teacher2

#80 Post by teacher2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:53 pm

As for hypos -- it is a strategy that makes sense when you have an investigative without a protective. Here, we have 1.1 protectives. And we only have .5 investigatives.

So hypo is not worth it: It has the effect of narrowing the range of potential PRs (people who hypo a known false result) without the benefit of getting known!town upon the investigative's death. A tracker null result is not alignment indicative in the same way that a cop inno is.

So Im against hypos.