MINI MAFIA III - NEWBIE GAME - GAME THREAD

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Jamiet99uk

MINI MAFIA III - NEWBIE GAME - GAME THREAD

#1 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:44 pm

THIS IS THE GAME THREAD for MINI MAFIA III: SONIC THE NEWBIE
(NEWBIE GAME 1)
==========================================================

INTRODUCTION

Mafia is an educated guessing game of epic proportions. The objective of the game (for the town majority) is to kill all mafia members before they outnumber the rest of the town. The game is typically very active, so the thread will get big quickly. However, it is essential to read the thread to play the game.

GENERAL RULES

0. The GM reserves the right to adjudicate individual scenarios that arise during the course of the game at his discretion.
1. All players must vote at least once per game day, and post at least twice per game day.
2. All players are forbidden from posting screenshots of their role PMs.
3. All players are forbidden from using encryption.
4. All players are forbidden from using non-sanctioned PMing, or copied mechanics.
5. All spectators and players who have been eliminated are forbidden from posting on all comment threads related to the game notes.
6. All players are forbidden from cheating.
7. All players are required to play to win.
8. Players and/or teams may not concede the game in public.

ELABORATION

0. Given a lack of omniscience, the GM cannot create a rule to resolve all possible scenarios pre-emptively. To compensate for this, the GM is permitted to resolve a given scenario however they see fit, within the remit of the rules listed above, in the interest of all participants. The GM will resolve all scenarios as closely as possible to the intention of the rules, and will present an explanation regarding the adjudication to the greatest possible detail (which does not compromise anything in-game) and as closely in accordance with the written rules as possible.

1. You MUST cast a vote at least once during each day phase. You may vote and then 'unvote' (see below) if you change your mind as the Day progresses, however you may not end the phase with an 'unvote' in place. Anyone violating this rule will be modkilled unless there are very extenuating circumstances. Ending the day with a vote on “No Lynch” is permitted. During each day phase, every player MUST make at least two game-related posts. The GMs will use reasonable discretion when applying this rule.

2. All role PMs have been posted in the setup information. The point of this rule is to forbid "gaming" the role PMs to determine alignments; after all, the fun of this game is reading people, not outguessing the GM.

3. Encryption is defined as posting an encoded message on public channels that an average person would require outside software or other tools to decode. It is perfectly acceptable to leave "hidden messages" in your posts (for example, spelling out "I AM THE COP" with the first letters of every sentence), but as a rule of thumb, if you don't think the average user could decode it without a decryption service, don't post it.

4. All in-game communications should be kept within the thread. Only GM endorsed QuickTopic threads can be used for communicating with one another outside of the main game thread; aside from this, there should be no other forms of private messaging between players. You may PM the GM with questions or instructions.

5. Players who have been removed from the game are no longer playing the game, and will not be permitted to comment on it in private messages or comment threads. A special QuickTopic "God Thread" will be opened for individuals who wish to spectate on the game, or players who have been eliminated. Use this channel to discuss the game while it is still ongoing.

6. This is a catch-all rule intended to preserve the spirit of the game. If you are considering saying or doing something that may be against the spirit of the game, message the GM about it before saying/doing it and the GM will let you know whether it is allowed or not.

To clarify further: Players may not copy and paste any game related Mechanics. Players may not doctor, and create fake game related mechanics. Players may not share personal correspondence between GM to player under any circumstances. The GM will not confirm any claims, or adjudicate based upon anything that could easily be sorted out through questioning and evidentiary circumstance.

7. This rule simply means that your actions should in some conceivable way advance your win condition as stated in your role PM. This rule is somewhat subjective, because the difference between a mistake and sabotage is sometimes hard to determine; the GM will exercise caution and restraint in observing this rule. This also means that if you need to leave the game for any reason, you should not simply drop out, but should message me first so I can determine the best course of action.

8. If someone wishes to concede defeat, they must PM the GM, or post in their relevant QT thread for the GM to check it over. Public concessions are not permitted.

PENALTIES

The penalty for breaking one of the above rules is decided at the GM’s discretion, up to and including immediate removal from the game and/or sanctions from future games. Removal and/or sanction are instruments of last resort and will be used only if absolutely necessary. Sanctions such as future bans will be determined by the consensus of the active player base after the game has concluded. A player removed from the game may or may not have their role revealed on removal, depending on the circumstances surrounding their removal.

ROLE ACTIONS
If you are a Power Role or otherwise have any actions to take, please PM your action the GM. Night actions will be processed at the end of the night and can be changed up to that point. Mafia's night kill will be voted on in the mafia QuickTopic thread.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

SPAM
Spamming (defined as excessive content-free posting; or, excessive posting regarding subjects irrelevant to the game) is not mod-killed by rule in this game. The in-game voting mechanic exists to curb any advantage that spamming as a tactic may confer; please reference the “VOTING” section below for more information. Suffice to say that spamming is not worth anyone’s time in this setup, and will be frowned upon, so while you may not be lynched or mod-killed for spamming, please refrain from doing so.

PLAYER SILENCES:
Players that have other participants on their mute list are asked to remove them for the duration of this game. Disputes stemming from outside of this game should not carry over into the gameplay. If they do, the GM reserves the right to address these issues and potentially remove or sanction players if it becomes a disruption.

FORUM SILENCES:
If a player is silenced on the forum by the site moderators/admins, an alternate will take their place for the duration of their silence. The silenced player will then have the option to take their position back over or leave it in the hands of the alternate. As long as the silence does not stem from actions involving the mafia thread, there will be no in-game sanctions for a forum silence.

REPLACEMENTS
A player wishing to drop out may be replaced at the GM's discretion. Individuals wishing to serve as potential replacements must NOT join the out-of-game God QT. Replacement is not guaranteed.

TURN DURATION
This game’s Day phases will last 48 hours and Night phases will last 24 hours, unless cut short by in-game mechanics (e.g., hammer). Extensions may be granted at the GM’s discretion, but don’t count on it. Phase shifts will be at 11pm GMT.

VOTING

There are three types of voting within this game: collective voting to execute perceived Mafia in Day phases, collective voting to end a Day or Night phase, and Mafia voting to kill town members in Night phases.

“Lynch” vote: The first level of voting is for whom you intend to kill. Notate this vote with a pair of hash symbols before your intended vote target. (e.g., ##VOTE VECNA) You do not need to spell out your intended target's username fully; as long as the GM can understand who you're referencing. In the event of a tie during an execution vote, no one shall be killed.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not use double hashtags your vote will not be counted, for reasons of fairness but also because it is unlikely the GM will see your vote using the CTRL+F feature and this rule thus prevents vote miscounts.

Must Vote: At the end of the Day phase, all participating players must have their vote on a candidate. You may ##VOTE and then ##UNVOTE if you change your mind as the Day progresses, however you may not end the phase with an ##UNVOTE in place. Anyone violating this rule will be modkilled unless there are very extenuating circumstances. Ending the day with a vote on “No Lynch” is permitted.

Hammer Vote: The second level of voting is whether or not to employ the hammer mechanic. By default, days are set to 48 hours long, and nights to 24 hours long; however, players may instead elect to activate the hammer mechanic. Notate this vote with a pair of hashes before the word end. (EX: ##END). The day will end as soon as a majority of players are voting to endhammer the same player. If you are not able to vote before the hammer is dropped, you will not be penalized for failing to vote during that day. Night phases may not normally be hammered - any exception to this will be announced by the GM.

Mafia Vote: The third level of voting refers to Mafia members choosing their NK (nightkill) target during Night phases. The mafia members will use their separate QuickTopic thread to discuss this. Please make your votes in bold. Mafia NK will be decided by majority vote. In the event of a tie, the oldest vote will break the tie.

GM TEAM

This game’s GM is Jamiet99uk. Dargorygel is authorised to co-GM if needed. PM them with any questions or concerns and they'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Jamiet99uk

Re: MINI MAFIA III - NEWBIE GAME - GAME THREAD

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:45 pm

==========
GM NOTE
==========

Game has NOT YET STARTED. Please do not post in this thread until further notice.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:00 pm

GM NOTE

Game will start at 11pm UK time (currently BST) which is in FOUR hours.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:00 pm

(Please continue not posting here)

Jamiet99uk

#5 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:37 pm

SETUP INFORMATION

There are NINE total players of which 7 are Town and 2 are Mafia.

Roles:

2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Town
0-1 Town Cop
0-1 Town Doctor

PLAYER LIST

1. Worcej
2. BancroftS
3. DrCJG
4. Damo666
5. Sheepsaysmeep
6. Marneus_Calgar
7. Teacher2
8. xy4
9. Phil_a_s

Sub: Yavuzovic

(Please continue not posting until I give notice the game has started)

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm

GM NOTE - MAFIA TEAM FACTIONAL POWERS

The MAFIA team has a factional Nightkill and a factional Roleblock. They may use both of these, every night, and should decide who to target for each action, in their own QT.

(Please continue not posting)

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Game starts in 1 hour. Please do not post yet.

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 pm

INTRODUCTION

It was a peaceful morning in the Green Hill Zone. Sonic, Amy Rose, and Knuckles sat down amongst the trees to enjory a picnic as their little bunny friends scampered happily around them.

Suddenly, a strange flying machine appeared overhead.

"Oh no", groaned Sonic. "It's my nemesis, Dr Robitnik, yet again. What a tiresome antagonist this guy is. Does he ever give up?"

"Hahaha, that's right Sonic, I'm back! And this time my plan is even more cunning than all of my previous plans. For even now, a number of my creations walk amongst you, cleverly disguised. You can run and jump and spin all you like, but can you put your tiny brain to work instead? I think not. You won't find them until it's too late. In fact, you won't find them at all! And then nobody will be able to stop me getting my hands on the Chaos Emeralds, which I crave to possess for some reason. Hahahaha!"

With a buzz, Robotnik's strange airborne contraption flew out of sight.

"Picnic time is over, gang," said Sonic. "We've got to find Robotnik's henchmen before they come for us!"

=======================================
DAY ONE HAS BEGUN - YOU MAY NOW POST
=======================================

worcej

#9 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:01 pm

I 100% call dibs on being Knuckles. Just saying 8-)

And also, hello everyone!

DrCJG

#10 Post by DrCJG » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Based on my extensive experience with mafia on webDip… I have come to the conclusion that on D1 there is very little concrete information to be gained except from the EoD voting… but the communication during D1 does offer a starting point for determining personalities.

I would like to encourage all of us to be active communicators throughout the game to increase the likelihood of catching scum making an illogical jump or shift. A shift in personality or style can be indicative of a scum player looking for an explanation to steer a vote.

In that same vein, I hope we will skip all the nonsensical posts (ok… some of the nonsensical posts are ok... @worcej - how can you pass on Tails?) and I propose that we each post a full reads list at the beginning of every phase.

worcej

#11 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:08 pm

@DrCJG - I agree with almost everything you posted except the light humor. It was my attempt to lightheartedly get things going in some direction because I imagine most of us have zero idea on how to break the ice.

So, for the record, I passed on tails because I have spent way.. way... way... to many hours laughing at the 'Uganda Knuckles' meme lol...

DrCJG

#12 Post by DrCJG » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 pm

I think the humor is customary (and its fun)... but last game Town really failed to communicate enough to make scum stand out... with that in mind...

Town:
  • DrCJG – He was mafia in his first game and while he misses the excitement of trying to blend in, he is happy to help lead the town to victory.
Null:
  • Worcej – I believe I read that EoDs will be hard for you… let’s try and encourage good discussion long before EoD so that doesn’t become an issue.

BancroftS – hmmm isn’t Bancroft a British television thriller… I may have to watch it.

Damo666 – What do you find to be more scummy… someone who starts a vote on someone without a reason or someone who joins existing votes without a reason?

Teacher2 – Just like flipping a coin tails and knowing that means the next flip will be heads… Teacher2 was Town last game… so I just know he will be scum this game.

Xy4 – You’re used to “mafia” without a mafia team… sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing how some of your analysis for detecting the killer carries over to this game.

Phil_a_s – “played like 5 games on here around 3 or 4 years ago…” interesting… I look forward to hearing how (if) the meta has changed.

Marneus_Calgar – You said you RP from time to time… when you are evil are you more lawful evil or chaotic evil?

Sheepsaysmeep – Sheeps do not say meep, I think this may be a wolf pretending to be a sheep… town beware
… therefore I will start out with ##VOTE Sheep.

@ Sheep – If Sheeps say meep… then what sound does Beaker make? Moreover, how does D1 develop in the mafia games on other sites?

sheepsaysmeep

#13 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

hi

drcjg's first post seems pretty villagery

sheepsaysmeep

#14 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

spotting scummy behavior is pretty easy d1 tbh

also setup question so there's either one doctor or one cop but not both right

phil_a_s

#15 Post by phil_a_s » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi all. Regular updates of reads lists are indeed a valid goal. I don't know if I would place them at start of phase, though. Surely we'll have more information towards the ends of phases? Personally, I view the read list as more of a snapshot of your ideas at a point in time, combined with a reminder to read through the thread again. Early in a phase, I would prefer to instead build a case on one or two people and possibly apply pressure.

My persona this game is definitely hbomberguy cosplaying as Sonic.

sheepsaysmeep

#16 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:27 pm

here's a strategy that benefits town in basically any game with an alignment cop

at the start of every phase

IF YOU ARE COP
you say who you checked last night and what alignment they are

IF YOU ARE NOT A COP
you pretend to have checked someone, say who that is and an alignment that you would have received

so we have a list of everyone's real/fake cop peek

then, when the cop dies we can look back and see who their peeks were and the green peeks who are clear

notes:

if youre not cop try to make your cover convincing

remember that if you say you saw a mafia as a villager then the mafia know you arent cop and they narrow the pool of possible cops down which hurts us

eg dont say someone who's a super strong townread because it's unlikely that you would have peeked them in that case

dont randomly take a null/scumlean person either and say they were a green cehck because there's a chance that doign that benefits scum

sheepsaysmeep

#17 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 pm

readlists are generally just pretty helpful, although a plain readlist usually isnt alignment indicative without the reasoning

if people could regularly post readlists with reasoning next to each read that would be great

sheepsaysmeep

#18 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 pm

btw most of the information from a day phase comes out of how people act at end of day

especially later in the game say like

you realize that the only people who were being voted at the end of day 1 were town

you can go back and see oh this person seemed really relaxed at the end of day 1 and didnt seem to care which of the wagons were lynched

then that person is most likely mafia who is sort of comfortable laying low knowing that town will be lynched that day

sheepsaysmeep

#19 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 pm

im just spilling things out because im prolly getting fearkilled night 1 (:

sheepsaysmeep

#20 Post by sheepsaysmeep » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 pm

##VOTE Damo666