MINI MAFIA III - NEWBIE GAME - GAME THREAD

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
phil_a_s

Re: MINI MAFIA III - NEWBIE GAME - GAME THREAD

#61 Post by phil_a_s » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:28 am

So, another process discussion I think we should have is claiming roleblock. Obviously if we decide to hypo, that would be included, but we should do it anyway. We should do it first thing in the morning, but treat it as a light town indicator at most, since scum could either roleblock and kill the same person, or just not roleblock, and then claim roleblock. The reason we need to do it, though, is that it gives us information that the mafia already have anyway, which could be useful in the public record.

xy4

#62 Post by xy4 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 am

Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t posted yet. It’s kinda difficult staying up well past 11 during an important school year.

Anyways, to answer the analysis done by DrCJG on myself, yes I have played before and I will attempt to use my know,edge to help me here.

I did also think that some certain people posting against the “everyone-claims-cop” strategy, which benefits the town, should present arguments to support this. It does raise suspicion if you are not in favour of something that benefits the town.

xy4

#63 Post by xy4 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 am

##VOTE phil_a_s

damo666

#64 Post by damo666 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 am

To answer DrCJG- the latter.
Btw I'm Spartacus

phil_a_s

#65 Post by phil_a_s » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am

I thought I already gave my arguments - the strategy only works assuming most of us execute it well. Additionally, we will have to behave as if we had actually received the result we are claiming to have received, which, if we clear someone we later find scummy, could be annoying.

My other issue with the strategy was that I did not know whether we would be informed if we got roleblocked, which would have allowed scum to narrow the field very quickly. Of course, now we know and this objection is invalid, but that's the context for my opposition to the strategy.

If we're confident that we can execute it plausibly for the two phases required, then I will join in, of course.

BancroftS

#66 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 am

Hello to you all! I'm looking forward to playing with you!

There's some interesting discussions going on here that I've briefly read over. What are peoples thoughts on the Cop idea? Personally I think it'd be abit too confusing to start with, especially since this is a newb game!

BancroftS

#67 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 am

xy4 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 am
I did also think that some certain people posting against the “everyone-claims-cop” strategy, which benefits the town, should present arguments to support this. It does raise suspicion if you are not in favour of something that benefits the town.
I think we may need to hear from all players before we can agree on a strategy such as this! As I've said, being a complete NEWB I may find this confusing... but only for a round or two! I am happy to participate in this strategy should I be in the minority :)

xy4

#68 Post by xy4 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 am

BancroftS wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 am
xy4 wrote:
I think we may need to hear from all players before we can agree on a strategy such as this! As I've said, being a complete NEWB I may find this confusing... but only for a round or two! I am happy to participate in this strategy should I be in the minority :)
I’d agree, thanks.

phil_a_s

#69 Post by phil_a_s » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am

Pretty quiet huh? sheep, you mentioned that you felt like DrCJG was behaving differently from how he behaved as mafia. Does that still apply? Would you be able to be more specific about that? Is it a difference in behavior or in language?

I agree that what teacher2 said seems suspicious. It is however a similar class of statement to one I saw fairly often here back when I played, and it wasn't really indicative of much then. Some players lean in hard to the uncertainty, and they're not always scum. Still, certainly merits some attention.

BancroftS

#70 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:35 am

So due to a (current) lack of communication, I'm ##VOTE Marneus. That may change one they post, but that's where I am currently. No-one has really given anything away!

phil_a_s

#71 Post by phil_a_s » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:54 am

Speaking of a lack of communication, demo666, why are your posts all one line? You have a vote up, would you like to elaborate? Ask some questions, give us your thoughts on the cop chaff thing, anything? If you're busy, could you tell us when you will not be?

phil_a_s

#72 Post by phil_a_s » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 am

And, just to put the pressure on a little bit, ##VOTE demo666

teacher2

#73 Post by teacher2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:00 pm

sheepsaysmeep wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 am
teacher2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 am
Finally, regarding me. My meta is to obv!town in any alignment, and almost any role. So I dont think Ive done too much thats AI (alignment indicative) for me yet.
i uh dont really like this part of the post

the rest is fine
those sentences stand out as scummy
Since others have joined you in sussing this quote, I will add that saying something like this in games with people I havent played before is also my meta in any alignment. I did it last game here as VT:
teacher2 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 am
FYI, my personal meta is to almost always obv!town regardless of alignment, with one exception I wont get into here. In others, I view Obv!town as a scumtell but dont lynch because it forces a slot to keep providing info, and you can lynch it the second it gets less credible.

Jamiet99uk

#74 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm

VOTE COUNT 1.2

DrCJG (2) - Damo666, Teacher2
Marneus_Calgar (2) - DrCJG, BancroftS
Damo666 (2) - Sheepsaysmeep, phil_a_s
Phil_a_s (1) - xy4

Currently NOBODY is set to be lynched. You have 33.6 hours remaining in Day 1.

phil_a_s

#75 Post by phil_a_s » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:48 pm

OK teacher2 looks legit, just a playstyle difference.

I see DrCJG is getting some attention. Would someone like to build an argument against him? His behavior up to this point seems quite good to me, and even if we parse the early sheepsays read as buddying, that would indict sheep, but if anything, clear DrCJG, since sheep seems far too competent to prominently tie themselves to the only other mafia that early on day 1. Looking through the thread it looks like those votes are a random unexplained vote from demo666, and a meta revenge vote from teacher2.

In the future, I think we should point to at least one specific thing when voting people. Ask some questions with your vote, or refer to an argument, either yours or someone else's. Even if you are following the cop, say so (and possibly explain why you believe the claim).

DrCJG

#76 Post by DrCJG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Morning all,

First off, Teacher2....
teacher2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:54 am
teacher2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 am
Right now it takes 5 votes to lynch.
Ack.... providing wrong info. Bad teacher, bad! I forgot that WebDip is a plurality lynch spot. The lynch with the most votes at deadline will go through, even if less than five. A tie lynch vote equals no lynch (no priority to oldest vote for lynches). ##CallGM - Please confirm Im providing correct info this time?
DrCJG wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 am
I believe he mentioned in signups that he was still at work at EoD and that was his only worry about the time commitment.
Just FYI, nope (nor anyone else in the game).
I appreciate you trying to fact check me... but Worcej did actually say "Personally, I don't see the time commitment as being a huge issue on my end other than last minute EOD/EON shenanigans since I am based in PST (GMT -7) and for this round that was at 3:00 PM, when I am still at work." on the first page of the sign ups... but even if he hadn't... I fully support us trying to get a discussion going and see where everyone's compromise pools are well before EoD.

You're coming off a little more try-hard this game, less genuine. But, I still believe your potential to help town is too great for an early lynch.

Marneus? What are you thoughts so far?

teacher2

#77 Post by teacher2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Teacher’s Reads and Questions List 1.0
To remind myself how players felt in real time. Embedded questions for Worcej, Damo, the GM, and XY below. Quick board poll:
  • Cop hypo: yea, nay, questions?
  • Commitment to post full-board readslist 1X+ per phase: yea, nay
Also one request for the board – if answering a question or conversating with someone, will you all kindly quote the originating post/part? Without the Peterbot, following threads is a bit hard.
  • Worcej: Intro fluff posts, then disappears. Are you European? (knowing rough timezones will help me generally). One interesting note, says that this game is “light on townies compared to the mafia count,” but in signups said that mafia is “usually about 25% of the total # of players to start.” By that logic this game (though a little scum-sided to me based on powers) is average to heavy on town, at 78% rather than 75%. Nully-scum.
  • BancroftS: Claims newb, wants to explore the cop-hypo strategy and votes a lurker. To respond to you regarding the cop strategy, it does appear that a majority of people want it, and it will assuredly last at most three turns (and more likely 1.5). What it is is that, after end of night turn, you say “I investigated [Player X], and they are [town/scum]” as if you were cop. That way, if cop gets killed N2 (before they would likely out), we at least get a knowntown for D3. Not much here, so a low-content null.
  • DrCJG: Much though I want to lynch him, Im inclined to agree with Sheep that the good doctor feels much different this game than last game. That could be a conscious decision to play against meta, but it doesn’t feel it. (@Phil – its not specific language for me, but general playstyle and approach). Town-lean.
  • Damo666: Clearly the scummy devil. In seriousness, short oneliner posts and an with an unexplained vote. Was this RVS? If not, why did you not case Dr? Is a newb, and is clearly reading posts (redflip question), so am inclined not to lynch today but do have some suspicions.
  • Sheep: The scariest player to me just based off experience, so I want to scum-read, but I just cant. I don’t see scum suggesting the hypo strategy, I don’t see scum providing the legit read on DrCJG, and I don’t see non-lurking scum urging me to vote away from lurks when they have to know that they would be feared as a potential power wolf. I also get the vote on Damo. Bottom line, it’s a weak town-lean from fear of being manipulated.
  • Marneus: Likely modkill; hasn’t been online since Saturday, when his last boardgame finished. ##CallGM: Can we ask the mods to email him?
  • Teacher: Dirtbag.
  • xy4: Opening posts asks “certain people” arguing against hypo-strategy to explain themselves, and asserts the strategy is necessarily pro-town. Though I like the strategy, it is not necessarily pro-town. I also don’t like the attempt to throw shade at people without calling them out by name (though xy may have been attempting to fix this with the blind vote on phil in the next post). XY, have I correctly understood this sequence? If not, why Phil? Null.
  • Phil: You played here years ago, but pre-Lund bot. Can you link one or two of the games (ideally one town one scum if you were both)? I like your doubts of the hypo-strategy, and the arguments are well-reasoned and seem to come from a towny place even if I disagree. Indeed, it appears we disagree on much (timing of readlists, viability of early cases), but those are just that – disagreements, not necessarily differences. That said, most of your posts have focused on mechanics rather than players; you’ve only really discussed me, DrC, and Damo. Id like to see some broader action. Null-town.

Time for me to take my Joke vote off. ##Vote Worcej.

teacher2

#78 Post by teacher2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:36 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:17 pm
I appreciate you trying to fact check me... but Worcej did actually say "Personally, I don't see the time commitment as being a huge issue on my end other than last minute EOD/EON shenanigans since I am based in PST (GMT -7) and for this round that was at 3:00 PM, when I am still at work."
Crapola. This is why I miss the Lundbot so much -- that was buried under Worcej's quote of Thamrick in the iso (quotes dont show up there) - so I didnt see it. Thanks for correcting me.

Thanks also for pointing out that Worcej is Pacific time. That makes his absence last night even more questionable; I had been giving him credit for having an early bedtime.

teacher2

#79 Post by teacher2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

teacher2 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm
[*]Worcej: Intro fluff posts, then disappears. Are you European? (knowing rough timezones will help me generally). One interesting note, says that this game is “light on townies compared to the mafia count,” but in signups said that mafia is “usually about 25% of the total # of players to start.” By that logic this game (though a little scum-sided to me based on powers) is average to heavy on town, at 78% rather than 75%. Nully-scum.
Thanks to DrCJG's pointing me back to the post, this is wrong. The quoted "25%" was Thamrick; it appeared in Worcej's ISO because he quoted it when signing up. So no contradiction here. Still a nully-scum from fluffposting and disappearing though, just wanted to correct my error.

DrCJG

#80 Post by DrCJG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

xy4 wrote:
I am not sure I am/was against it... but I am trying to figure it out because 1) I wasn't familiar with the idea; 2) there seems to be the potential for us to narrow down the pool of possible cops such that the mafia have a better chance of NKing the cop. I did not see (and I am still not sure I will until I've seen it in action) why this is more effective than the cop just being creative with his readlists... but I know I am bias because in my one previous game the cop was able to survive until he chose to reveal... had he died early town would have been truly screwed.

I spent a little time looking it up and I think I understand how it works, though I have not read any consensus saying it was definitely something that benefits the town... @xy4 - Why do you believe it is something that benefits town and not mafia?