Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#61 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am

Bump.
Come on peeps. We need just *one* more player who's new to webDip Mafia for this to run.

Setup with 9 players is:

Mafia Team:

2 x Mafia Goons
(Team has factional Roleblock)


Town Team:

1 x Cop or Doctor (but not both)
6 x Vanilla Town

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#62 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:07 am

Feel free to invite friends. We start tomorrow at 11pm, GMT, if there have been enough sign-ups by then. 9 is the minimum required, so one more at least is needed.

xy4
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Karma: 7

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#63 Post by xy4 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:54 pm

I still have a couple questions.

1) If the game starts at 11pm (considering I live in Scotland), do I get time to talk? How long does a day or night last?

2) Will I be notified of my role (if any) by the GM?

3) How can I vote for the lynch during the day? I’d assume it’s via GM again.

4) Does this forum count as Public Press or is it done elsewhere?

teacher2
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 am
Karma: 23

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#64 Post by teacher2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm

1. Days last at the discretion of the GM; I didn’t see the setup detailed but it usually is a min of 48hrs. Nights are usually shorter.

2. The GM will PM roles presumably.

3. Votes are public. This forum uses the ##vote name framework, both for control-f purposes and for the Peterbot (more on that around game start)

4. The game is played on this forum, but in a new thread.

teacher2
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 am
Karma: 23

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#65 Post by teacher2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:54 pm

By discretion of GM I meant he selects a stable phase length, not that he can arbitrarily have the sun set.

phil_a_s
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:32 pm
Karma: 8

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#66 Post by phil_a_s » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi, I played like 5 games on here around 3 or 4 years ago, then disappeared because webdip was taking over my life. Am I eligible? And has the meta here changed significantly? I'd be up to join, though if it makes for an inconvenient number of players, I'd sign up as a sub.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#67 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:18 pm

xy4 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:54 pm
I still have a couple questions.

1) If the game starts at 11pm (considering I live in Scotland), do I get time to talk? How long does a day or night last?

2) Will I be notified of my role (if any) by the GM?

3) How can I vote for the lynch during the day? I’d assume it’s via GM again.

4) Does this forum count as Public Press or is it done elsewhere?
These are all sensible questions.

1) The day phases will last 48 hours. Night phases last 24 hours.

2) All players are notified of their exact role by private message around 1 hour before the game begins.

3) The lynch is a public vote. You have to declare your vote using the syntax ##VOTE [NAME]. You may change your vote as often as you like up until the deadline (which is the end of the day phase). All players MUST end the day with a vote in place.

4) Press happens here on this forum, in a separate game thread I will put up tomorrow.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#68 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:19 pm

phil_a_s wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:08 pm
Hi, I played like 5 games on here around 3 or 4 years ago, then disappeared because webdip was taking over my life. Am I eligible? And has the meta here changed significantly? I'd be up to join, though if it makes for an inconvenient number of players, I'd sign up as a sub.
To make us up to 9, you are welcome aboard.
1

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#69 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:20 pm

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2. BancroftS
3. DrCJG
4. Damo666
5. Sheepsaysmeep
6. Marneus_Calgar
7. Teacher2 (willing to bow out)
8. xy4
9. Phil_a_s
10.
11.
12.
13.

SUBS:

1.
2.
3.

Game starts at 11pm GMT tomorrow, Monday.

yavuzovic
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:42 pm
Karma: 185
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#70 Post by yavuzovic » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:54 pm

[quo
te=Jamiet99uk post_id20634 time=1528644036 user_id=137]
PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2. BancroftS
3. DrCJG
4. Damo666
5. Sheepsaysmeep
6. Marneus_Calgar
7. Teacher2 (willing to bow out)
8. xy4
9. Phil_a_s
10.
11.
12.
13.

SUBS:

1. yavuzovic
2.
3.

Game starts at 11pm GMT tomorrow, Monday.
[/quote]

xy4
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Karma: 7

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#71 Post by xy4 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Hey again, hope I’m not pestering anybody but anyways..

1) When giving out roles will the GM choose them by themself or will they use a name picker program of some sorts?

2) When handing out roles I think it would be useful for the GM to provide a rough explanation of what that role can do and their impact on the game. Perhaps a basic strategy on how to use the abilities effectively without any fancy theory crafting. This will, of course, mean the GM will have to spend extra time to get the game up and running, but I think it’d be worth it so that everyone has a starting point and doesn’t have quite so many questions.

I’d also like to say a thank you to Mr Jamiet99uk for setting up this game. I understand this sort of thing takes monumental effort from people, and that needs to be appreciated. That’s all for now folks, speak soon.
1

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#72 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:02 pm

xy4 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 pm
Hey again, hope I’m not pestering anybody but anyways..

1) When giving out roles will the GM choose them by themself or will they use a name picker program of some sorts?

2) When handing out roles I think it would be useful for the GM to provide a rough explanation of what that role can do and their impact on the game. Perhaps a basic strategy on how to use the abilities effectively without any fancy theory crafting. This will, of course, mean the GM will have to spend extra time to get the game up and running, but I think it’d be worth it so that everyone has a starting point and doesn’t have quite so many questions.

I’d also like to say a thank you to Mr Jamiet99uk for setting up this game. I understand this sort of thing takes monumental effort from people, and that needs to be appreciated. That’s all for now folks, speak soon.

1) They are determined at random using a RNG program.

2) Everyone is given a message explaining their role, but with no specific guidance.

brainbomb
Posts: 6929
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Winterfell
Karma: 839

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#73 Post by brainbomb » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi Ill play. Im a first timer. Youll be able to tell im a newb by my complete lack of reasoning and my failure to understand the setup.

Also I will be lurking a lot. Because im new. And im scared to say how I feel.
2

xy4
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Karma: 7

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#74 Post by xy4 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 am

Brainbomb’s mind has bonded with the innocent child role
2

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#75 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am

DARGORYGEL has offered to be an extra coach, alongside TOM BOMBADIL. Thank you Darg.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#76 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 am

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2. BancroftS
3. DrCJG
4. Damo666
5. Sheepsaysmeep
6. Marneus_Calgar
7. Teacher2 (willing to bow out)
8. xy4
9. Phil_a_s
10.
11.
12.
13.

SUBS:

1. yavuzovic
2.
3.


A reminder has been sent to all players that the game starts TONIGHT.

If you wish to join and have played Mafia no more than twice on this site, feel free to add your name to this list.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#77 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:08 pm

This game's FLAVOUR will be the world of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.

Newbies note - flavour is used to give colour to the GM's messages - it is not intended to contain any information useful for solving the game.

Durga
Posts: 3232
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm
Location: Canada
Karma: 787

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#78 Post by Durga » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:14 pm

You should just let yavuz play the main game, he's functionally a newb

damo666
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 am
Karma: 115

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#79 Post by damo666 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm

I assume the actual number of players is not that important as long as factions in correct ratio. Am I right?

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 848
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#80 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:12 pm

damo666 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm
I assume the actual number of players is not that important as long as factions in correct ratio. Am I right?
You are correct, yes. However with any fewer than nine players, the game ends really quickly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ND, teacon7 and 4 guests