Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
Jamiet99uk
Posts: 3638
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 620
Contact:

Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#1 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi frens,

We've had quite a few new players try their hand at Mafia recently, and some of them have done well, while others have struggled a bit to keep up and get a grasp of the game.

Would there be any interest in a small game, with a fairly basic setup, specifically for new players (I'd say anyone who has played 0-2 games of Mafia here) to take part in?

I would propose that we select three or four experienced players, who are generally regarded as being "good" at the game, to spectate the game and offer feedback and guidance to the players in some form - perhaps a PM sent at the end of each phase.

I would be quite happy to set this up and GM it, if there is appropriate interest.
4

Tom Bombadil
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Karma: 314

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#2 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

I think this is a great idea. Small games are much less daunting. Good thinking Jamie.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 3638
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 620
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you Tom.

Would you be willing to act as one of the coaches?

Tom Bombadil
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Karma: 314

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#4 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Sure thing
1

CWagYourTail
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Karma: 20

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#5 Post by CWagYourTail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 pm

As someone who knows very little about Mafia, this idea intrigues me.

Can someone please explain both the general idea of Mafia as well as what the commitment level would be like for this game?

Thanks in advance.
1

Tom Bombadil
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:52 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Karma: 314

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#6 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:55 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J0C ... DZFwc/edit


This is a tips sheet I sent out to new players for the last game. While some of the information is specific to that game, all mafia games have the same sort of structure.
1

worcej
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Washington
Karma: 145

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#7 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Reading the last mafia round and seeing the 'distraught' for lack of participation, I was considering throwing my name onto the next round. If you did a newbie/training one, I would partake in it as well.
1

thamrick
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 am
Location: Indiana
Karma: 48

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#8 Post by thamrick » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

It's basically a social deduction game. Usually two sides (town vs. mafia). Mafia members (usually about 25% of the total # of players to start) are trying to kill off all the other players. Town are trying to catch and kill all the mafia. Mafia generally know who the other mafia are (and therefore, who the town are), while town know nothing. So mafia members are trying to blend in and act like they know nothing while town is trying to figure it out.

There's a pretty significant time commitment. To really play, you need to read each message posted at least once and as you see from the last game, games can easily go 100+ pages and take around a month to complete. Probably should be able to dedicate a couple hours a day though that varies.

worcej
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Washington
Karma: 145

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#9 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:27 pm

thamrick wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm
It's basically a social deduction game. Usually two sides (town vs. mafia). Mafia members (usually about 25% of the total # of players to start) are trying to kill off all the other players. Town are trying to catch and kill all the mafia. Mafia generally know who the other mafia are (and therefore, who the town are), while town know nothing. So mafia members are trying to blend in and act like they know nothing while town is trying to figure it out.

There's a pretty significant time commitment. To really play, you need to read each message posted at least once and as you see from the last game, games can easily go 100+ pages and take around a month to complete. Probably should be able to dedicate a couple hours a day though that varies.
Personally, I don't see the time commitment as being a huge issue on my end other than last minute EOD/EON shenanigans since I am based in PST (GMT -7) and for this round that was at 3:00 PM, when I am still at work. I was keeping pace with this last round and getting a good laugh out of it all - town was completely hopeless and thanks to peter they seemed to at least have a chance until it got dwindled down low.

I will say I did share the annoyance that Jamie had regarding participation (and the lack of it) and I figure I can at least try to be new blood to improve it.

thamrick
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 am
Location: Indiana
Karma: 48

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#10 Post by thamrick » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 pm

worcej wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:27 pm
thamrick wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm
It's basically a social deduction game. Usually two sides (town vs. mafia). Mafia members (usually about 25% of the total # of players to start) are trying to kill off all the other players. Town are trying to catch and kill all the mafia. Mafia generally know who the other mafia are (and therefore, who the town are), while town know nothing. So mafia members are trying to blend in and act like they know nothing while town is trying to figure it out.

There's a pretty significant time commitment. To really play, you need to read each message posted at least once and as you see from the last game, games can easily go 100+ pages and take around a month to complete. Probably should be able to dedicate a couple hours a day though that varies.
Personally, I don't see the time commitment as being a huge issue on my end other than last minute EOD/EON shenanigans since I am based in PST (GMT -7) and for this round that was at 3:00 PM, when I am still at work. I was keeping pace with this last round and getting a good laugh out of it all - town was completely hopeless and thanks to peter they seemed to at least have a chance until it got dwindled down low.

I will say I did share the annoyance that Jamie had regarding participation (and the lack of it) and I figure I can at least try to be new blood to improve it.
Well that's a good sign. And yeah. We usually use 6:00pm EST as the EoD, but we did at least one game where it was later (10pm EST iirc) and I really liked that. I wouldn't mind seeing some different EoD times to accommodate for those in other time zones.
1

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 321
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#11 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Goodly idea, Jamie... much value for the Mafia Community. Thanks.

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 3638
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 620
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#12 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Okay let's take sign-ups! No more than 13 players please.

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.

SUBS:

1.
2.
3.

Please note this game is ONLY for players who have played TWO or FEWER games of Mafia on this website. Those who have never played at all, but are interested, are very welcome.

Tentative start date: Monday 11th June.

Teacher2 appeared interested and CWagYourTail would you also like to sign up?

Tom Bombadil has kindly offered to act as a Coach / Expert but I'd be delighted to have 2-3 more experienced players who'd be willing to give their time to this. Experts / Coaches will not play, but do need to be willing to commit to:

1. Follow the game
2. Compiling a message once per turn with your feedback on play
3. Hang around in the God QT to answer any questions from deceased players.

CWagYourTail
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Karma: 20

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#13 Post by CWagYourTail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Okay let's take sign-ups! No more than 13 players please.

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.

SUBS:

1.
2.
3.

Please note this game is ONLY for players who have played TWO or FEWER games of Mafia on this website. Those who have never played at all, but are interested, are very welcome.

Tentative start date: Monday 11th June.

Teacher2 appeared interested and CWagYourTail would you also like to sign up?

Tom Bombadil has kindly offered to act as a Coach / Expert but I'd be delighted to have 2-3 more experienced players who'd be willing to give their time to this. Experts / Coaches will not play, but do need to be willing to commit to:

1. Follow the game
2. Compiling a message once per turn with your feedback on play
3. Hang around in the God QT to answer any questions from deceased players.
I don't think that I can consistently check in as much as it seems is desirable for a game such as this. Thanks for offering.
1

teacher2
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 am
Karma: 23

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#14 Post by teacher2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Teacher2 appeared interested
I am interested and more than happy to play. My concern is that I have played forum mafia several times, though here only once. My instinct was to lurk and see if you needed a body towards the end. That said, feel completely free to add my name -- I do want to play but also want to allow others.

thamrick
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 am
Location: Indiana
Karma: 48

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#15 Post by thamrick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 am

Check in again with DrCJG, Telamor, StressedLines from the last game, and perhaps nesdunk, PouncySilverkitten, MeanLaQueefa, Rjmcf from the last couple game. They might be interested
1

BancroftS
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 am

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#16 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 am

CWagYourTail wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Okay let's take sign-ups! No more than 13 players please.

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2. BancroftS
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.

SUBS:

1.
2.
3.

Please note this game is ONLY for players who have played TWO or FEWER games of Mafia on this website. Those who have never played at all, but are interested, are very welcome.

Tentative start date: Monday 11th June.

I don't think that I can consistently check in as much as it seems is desirable for a game such as this. Thanks for offering.
I've never played, but looking forward to trying it out!! :)

BancroftS
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 am

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#17 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am

... and since that was only my third post on the forum, I definitely didn't proofread and accidentally quoted my whole post!

Jamiet99uk
Posts: 3638
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Durham, UK
Karma: 620
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:54 am

Welcome, BancroftS

DrCJG
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm
Karma: 20

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#19 Post by DrCJG » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm

If we can start on time I am happy to play, but I do not expect to have internet access the week of July 4th... so I am a little hesitant to sign up

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Over the rainbow
Karma: 321
Contact:

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#20 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:54 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm
If we can start on time I am happy to play, but I do not expect to have internet access the week of July 4th... so I am a little hesitant to sign up
It is quite usual for forum games to be paused for national celebratory days. Although Jamie might be opposed to pausing for American Rebellion Against British Benevolent Hegemony Day...
1

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest