wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#961 Post by Chaqa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:01 pm

When someone is caught being scum for a missing comma, maybe I'll change my mind. What I'm saying is people spend way too much time and effort clogging up the threads with their egos and pursuing things that are pointless. Then these same people complain everyone else isn't doing the same and call it lurking or being bad.

Don't make me dunk on you all again like I did when you blew an 11-1 lead.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#962 Post by ghug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:01 pm
When someone is caught being scum for a missing comma, maybe I'll change my mind. What I'm saying is people spend way too much time and effort clogging up the threads with their egos and pursuing things that are pointless. Then these same people complain everyone else isn't doing the same and call it lurking or being bad.

The problem, Chaqa, is that we need people talking in order to figure things out. If everyone plays like you, we don't get any information.

The solution to you dunking on everyone is to kill you when you behave similarly. If your meta is to play poorly as town so that you can do the same as scum, then you're no use to town.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#963 Post by Chaqa » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:32 pm

ghug wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 pm
Chaqa wrote:

The problem, Chaqa, is that we need people talking in order to figure things out. If everyone plays like you, we don't get any information.

The solution to you dunking on everyone is to kill you when you behave similarly. If your meta is to play poorly as town so that you can do the same as scum, then you're no use to town.
Man, I've been playing mafia on this site since the first game we've had. I've been a game MVP several times, I catch scum all the time, and no one ever gives me credit. Why the fuck should I try when even after a killer town game in the Neighborizer game and then a killer scum game in the 11v1, I still get the "lul chaqa bad" memes?

I don't view this game through the lens of talking to each other. It's all BS. Anyone half decent can talk and think the same way regardless, as proven by the countless scum wins.

I view the game through PoE and data. Ask Bona or EMC or Eden or anyone who plays Among Us with us, and you'll see half the time I just plain don't listen to people's defenses or stories, because I will have pure information to base my reads off (locations, timing, etc.)

Look at last game. I got killed because people didn't like the words I said, but I was town. I was trying a strategy out that I thought would help town and minimize the downside if I died early, but I died IMMEDIATELY because you all put too much value in what people say and your own beliefs in how people should play.

Makes me really dislike this community. It's smug and toxic.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#964 Post by ghug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:32 pm
ghug wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

Man, I've been playing mafia on this site since the first game we've had. I've been a game MVP several times, I catch scum all the time, and no one ever gives me credit. Why the fuck should I try when even after a killer town game in the Neighborizer game and then a killer scum game in the 11v1, I still get the "lul chaqa bad" memes?

I don't view this game through the lens of talking to each other. It's all BS. Anyone half decent can talk and think the same way regardless, as proven by the countless scum wins.

I view the game through PoE and data. Ask Bona or EMC or Eden or anyone who plays Among Us with us, and you'll see half the time I just plain don't listen to people's defenses or stories, because I will have pure information to base my reads off (locations, timing, etc.)

Look at last game. I got killed because people didn't like the words I said, but I was town. I was trying a strategy out that I thought would help town and minimize the downside if I died early, but I died IMMEDIATELY because you all put too much value in what people say and your own beliefs in how people should play.

I don't think this is an entirely indefensible outlook. There's a reason I don't build big rhetorical cases anymore and focus my tryharding in digging up old stuff when we learn new things.

That said, there's not as much mechanical information as there is in something like Among Us, at least if the game is designed right. If we all just played gunboat mafia, we would always lose. We need people to share their opinions and interact in order to get the mafia to do things we can use to find them, and opting out of that process makes it harder to figure you out and diminishes the town's ability to generate information in general.

worcej

#965 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:32 pm
ghug wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

FWIW, you were an easy push because you did your weird strategy. You also didn't come off as sincere and were being different than normal, which helped make it easier.

As ghug just said, forum mafia is a lot about expressing opinions/thoughts over pure mechanics.

And to toot your horn a little, you are a good player. You've done some pretty amazing plays, but also some bad ones. Mafia is like baseball - some games you dominate, others you stink and strike out every chance you're 'at bat'.

And of course we're all smug - this game is all about being assertive/convincing and trying to make people believe your opinion over their own.

Fluminator

#966 Post by Fluminator » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:16 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 pm
M 65 ND (+darg) (Setup currently under review)
M 66 Hellenic Riot
M 67 Fluminator
M 68 Dargorygel
M 69 Chaqa + emc
M 70 Demon RHK (game submitted)
M 71 brainbombs cult game (game submitted)
M 72 Bob McBob (potentially with Brainbomb)
M 73 Tom Bombadil
M 74 worcej
I have not had time to fully flesh out my setup yet, and I won't for a couple months still. You can bump me down a few

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#967 Post by dargorygel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:27 pm

M 66 Hellenic Riot (with BobMcBob) Starting April 18.
M 67 Fluminator (available for swap with a later Game. PM Jamie or me)
M 68 Dargorygel
M 69 Chaqa + emc
M 70 Demon RHK (game submitted)
M 71 brainbombs cult game (game submitted)
M 72 Bob McBob (potentially with Brainbomb)
M 73 Tom Bombadil
M 74 worcej

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#968 Post by dargorygel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Anyone from the list wanna move up to the next slot? We HAVE had some already approved setups. I know chaqa wanted 69 particularly. So demon, or brain, or bob?

brainbomb

#969 Post by brainbomb » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm

The latest trend im seeing is sites are banning the term cfd.

this quote is taken from the syndicate forum
There's a bad habit some of us have gotten into in recent memory, including myself. I don't mean for this to be a scold or an accusation; it's just an ordinary Mafia term which sees usage all over the Internet. I'd like to suggest that we take the lead as a community to change it. "CFD" stands for Chinese Fire Drill. This comes with a connotation which isn't ideal or appropriate, and it could stand to be remedied.

If it's not clear, the term refers to a scenario in a Mafia game wherein, near the final moment of a voting deadline, a large number of players move their votes from one possible lynchee to a different lynchee. The strategy itself is perfectly reasonable, and I do not intend for this thread to be used to debate that. Instead, I just want to come up with a new term to describe this kind of occurrence which doesn't draw from any racial stereotypes/jokes/etc.

One option: "musical chairs" -- basically the same dang thing.

Any other ideas? :)

worcej

#970 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 pm

I do not recall the last time I've seen someone use CFD in a game. Not saying we shouldn't ban it, just reflecting I don't think we use it so it shouldn't be an issue for the community.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#971 Post by Chaqa » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm
Anyone from the list wanna move up to the next slot? We HAVE had some already approved setups. I know chaqa wanted 69 particularly. So demon, or brain, or bob?
Yes, I specifically want M69, mostly for the memes.

Similarly, if we ever reach M420, that one is mine ;)

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#972 Post by Chaqa » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm

worcej wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 pm
I do not recall the last time I've seen someone use CFD in a game. Not saying we shouldn't ban it, just reflecting I don't think we use it so it shouldn't be an issue for the community.
It's "offensiveness" is also a bit debatable since I believe its origin is actually from a Chinese ship crew actually doing a fire drill.

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#973 Post by DemonRHK » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm

dargorygel wrote:
I think you miiiight not want to offer that to me. My setup(s) are def. not approved yet

damo666

#974 Post by damo666 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:42 pm

Could I get M666 please

BobMcBob

#975 Post by BobMcBob » Sun May 02, 2021 6:14 am

My setup is not yet ready to be unleashed upon the world, I'll get in touch with worcej soon to help me fill in the remaining roles and balance it and eventually submit it for approval. Not sure how long that process will take though.

TheMadMonarch

#976 Post by TheMadMonarch » Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:14 am
My setup is not yet ready to be unleashed upon the world, I'll get in touch with worcej soon to help me fill in the remaining roles and balance it and eventually submit it for approval. Not sure how long that process will take though.
To make it faster, you could skip the balance step? Make it more fun perhaps?

BobMcBob

#977 Post by BobMcBob » Sun May 02, 2021 1:03 pm

Macca573 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm
BobMcBob wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:14 am
To make it faster, you could skip the balance step? Make it more fun perhaps?
As a general rule, games are more fun when they're balanced. So I shall try to do the make it more fun step instead. Also like you still get to go shopping regardless, what else do you want?

Kakarroto

#978 Post by Kakarroto » Sun May 02, 2021 5:24 pm

dargorygel wrote:
[...] I know chaqa wanted 69 particularly. [...]
oh

oh

I really hope it is because of an astrological theme (69 looks like the sign for cancer) and not the common internet knowledge, where you say 'nice' ... if you know what I mean.

Or is it a reference for the year 1969 and the moonlanding (some would add 'hoax' here)?

Well I've already submitted my holiday wishes to my company (2-3 weeks in July and September each), with the current count I might be fully able to participate in the 69 mafia games if I get the OK.

brainbomb

#979 Post by brainbomb » Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 am

dargorygel wrote:
ill do it. absolutely.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#980 Post by dargorygel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 am
dargorygel wrote:
ill do it. absolutely.
Great! You are up next!