wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
brainbomb

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#941 Post by brainbomb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm
Thank you for your comments, Brainbomb.

Now that the game has ended, I am happy to give my views on the matter.

1. First of all I think most humans would agree that you did in the past game 100% fits the definition of "spamming" in the rule that you have quoted.

2. The manner in which you flooded the thread with spam was extremely unsporting and came across as a deliberate attempt to spoil the game for other players and cause aggravation because you were exposed as Mafia and likely about to be voted out. Effectively you appeared to be doing it to punish everyone else in the game because you were doing badly. Not a very nice way to behave.

3. In my view, your spam posts were sufficiently lengthy and numerous, blocking up multiple pages of the game and making gameplay impossible for everyone else, that they would represent an "egregious example" of spamming, thus justifying some form of GM sanction.

4. Dargorygel, in his role as co-GM, intervened and asked you to stop. This was the correct thing to do and I endorse Darg's handling of the situation. If the GM has to intervene by sending you a PM telling you to stop doing something in the thread, this is a pretty clear indication that you are doing something you should not be doing.

5. Had you ignored Dargorygel's request and continued to post multiple long spam posts, then at that point, removing you from the game would have been an entirely reasonable further sanction, had a GM felt this necessary.

Like I say, I fully endorse Dargorygel's handling of this issue. Your behaviour was out of line and you should learn to control yourself in future.

However you are absolutely right to point out that the current wording of the rule on spamming is potentially confusing or open to conflicting interpretations. We will therefore look to re-word it before the next game takes place. Thanks for pointing out that this rule needs tidying up, Brain.
You modkilled me in a game where I spammed in the exact same way under nearly identical circumstances. in both situations, town discussing my flip before id flipped was to my teams detriment. My efforts to spam were to derail the game and force town to hammer. Can you describe a situation where the spam rule was observed yet was still malicious, obfuscative and derailed a game into hammering?

As far as I can tell the rule gave a clear way players can clean the issue up with tools at their disposal

brainbomb

#942 Post by brainbomb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:38 pm

lolcatting is a term for when a scum player is caught so they begin filling the game with pictures of cats. this is allowed on mafiauniverse, mafiascum, and every site on every corner of the internet.

It is my understanding that if I had instead posted links to cat pictures and not old man and the sea; you would still be ruling that the gm should intervene and help town

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#943 Post by dargorygel » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:44 pm

It is this exact statement, my friend, that I have trouble with:
"My efforts to spam were to derail the game and force town to hammer. "

I do not see that 'derailing the game' is a helpful strategy. It distracts the game. It makes it unplayable. Yes, hammering is an option. But when the game is THAT overwhelmed and derailed, I will step in and ask it to stop. Exactly as I did.

Find another strategy.

Baseball used to allow players to hide the ball under their jersey in the outfield. Then they added/chaged the rule because the game was no longer at that point about baseball.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#944 Post by dargorygel » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:47 pm

If anyone else objects, or has ideas, I'd like to hear from them, too.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#945 Post by dargorygel » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:48 pm

A mini game by jasnah, and a regular game by HR in in the works... I expect signups today.

brainbomb

#946 Post by brainbomb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:50 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:44 pm

I do not see that 'derailing the game' is a helpful strategy. It distracts the game. It makes it unplayable. Yes, hammering is an option. But when the game is THAT overwhelmed and derailed, I will step in and ask it to stop. Exactly as I did.

Find another strategy.

Baseball used to allow players to hide the ball under their jersey in the outfield. Then they added/chaged the rule because the game was no longer at that point about baseball.
the better strategy would be playing very well and not dying at all. and not ending up in that situation.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#947 Post by dargorygel » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:12 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:50 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:44 pm

Find another strategy.

the better strategy would be playing very well and not dying at all. and not ending up in that situation.
There is something in that for all of us. :-)

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#948 Post by ghug » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:54 am

dargorygel wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:47 pm
If anyone else objects, or has ideas, I'd like to hear from them, too.
I'm actually kinda with brain on this one. It seems to me that rules limiting communication should be limited to those that break the game (like posting GM communication or allowing ND to send GM communication) or do out of game harm (personal attacks, doxxing). If someone wants to be useless and difficult in an attempted to harm town, that's their prerogative, and there's an in game way to resolve it.

Baseball still gets one or two trick plays a year.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#949 Post by Hellenic Riot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:00 am

I'm with Darg, because in a theoretical scenario where two scum members get confirmed at the same time, allowing two phases straight of pure flooding is just stupid - Hammer or no hammer.

Jamiet99uk

#950 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:21 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:38 pm
lolcatting is a term for when a scum player is caught so they begin filling the game with pictures of cats. this is allowed on mafiauniverse, mafiascum, and every site on every corner of the internet.

It is my understanding that if I had instead posted links to cat pictures and not old man and the sea; you would still be ruling that the gm should intervene and help town
Yes, that is correct, that would be egregious spamming and would justify GM intervention if the GM saw fit to do so.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#951 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:52 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:38 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm
I suppose EMC and I should actually start getting the proposal together for M69.

It's going to be my last big hurrah as a GM, I think.
What happened to that "Among Us" themed game you and PE were designing?
Eden wrote up a very very tedious and long document to inform the setup. It was quite boring and we realized that it just wouldn't be any fun compared to just actually playing Among Us, so we scrapped it.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#952 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm

re: spamming

What brainbomb did was more extreme, but most of you all spam the thread with random and unnecessary posts all the time. If everyone could be more succinct and not just want to hear the sound of their own fingers clacking the keyboard, that would be great.

worcej

#953 Post by worcej » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm

What brainbomb did was more extreme, but most of you all spam the thread with random and unnecessary posts all the time. If everyone could be more succinct and not just want to hear the sound of their own fingers clacking the keyboard, that would be great.
I am incredibly guilty of this...

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#954 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:22 pm

There's no reason our games need to be 300 pages long.

I'm going to try a thing where I only post when I have something to say or get asked a question, and respond in the bare minimum amount of characters. :D

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#955 Post by ghug » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:09 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:22 pm

I'm going to try a thing where I only post when I have something to say or get asked a question, and respond in the bare minimum amount of characters. :D
Isn't that what you already do?

Foxcastle

#956 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:32 pm

Chaqa wrote:

I support this. Any game I GM in the future will include the following rule:

"Players' posts may not contain any information beyond a formal vote for another player, or an end vote. The only exception is that a player who is one end vote away from being killed may make a single post that contains only the one-word sentence "No." Invalid votes or typos are considered a violation of this rule and will result in an immediate mod-kill."

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#957 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:32 pm
Chaqa wrote:

I support this. Any game I GM in the future will include the following rule:

"Players' posts may not contain any information beyond a formal vote for another player, or an end vote. The only exception is that a player who is one end vote away from being killed may make a single post that contains only the one-word sentence "No." Invalid votes or typos are considered a violation of this rule and will result in an immediate mod-kill."
I would play this unironically. I think only having votes would be cooll

Jamiet99uk

#958 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Chaqa wrote:

Just a few games ago, you made multiple posts about Chipotle.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#959 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:33 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm
Chaqa wrote:

Are you sure that wasn't EMC? lol

I mean like, people will waste dozens of posts arguing over a comma missing from someone's post and how it's a scumslip. That kind of stuff.

Jamiet99uk

#960 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:33 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 pm
Chaqa wrote:

Are you sure that wasn't EMC? lol

I mean like, people will waste dozens of posts arguing over a comma missing from someone's post and how it's a scumslip. That kind of stuff.
That isn't spam, if the person posting it thinks it is relevant to solving the game.

This whole exchange of posts is typical of you.