wD Mafia Master Post

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: wD Mafia Master Post

#761 Post by Chaqa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Just add this to the rules:
https://youtu.be/S67sDHdhpio?t=78

damo666

#762 Post by damo666 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:09 pm

My twopennorth...

It is evident we are by and large a well educated, intelligent community even if on occasion immature and sometimes lacking in common sense. It is not necessary to have any specific rules regarding abuse, site rules ought to be sufficient. It should be obvious if a post you are about to make is insulting or abusive. Don't try and 'push the envelope' or 'test the boundaries'. A simple rule of thumb is 'might be offensive' almost certainly means 'is offensive'; if in doubt, don't post. Additionally, I would like to have insults impugning intellect such as 'moron' regarded as abusive.

Any transgressor should be given a severe warning IN THREAD. Once issued no player should thereafter refer to the matter. Further transgression should be dealt with severely. GM should have the right to modkill but not to impose any ban (they can recommend to Council). Any non-playing Council member should have the right to intervene and modkill/ban with or without consultation with the GM. I believe a modkill for abuse or disrespect of GM should be subbed if possible to avoid detriment to the team.

If at least one Council member is going to sit out of each game then the Council membership should be increased by at least one to be fair to Council members.

Game threads should be hidden for at least 6 games/6 months whichever is longer. Once the community has proved it can behave properly an appeal to have unhidden threads could be made if Council deems appropriate. However, I think it important that sign up threads do stay unhidden to encourage new blood. Players should bear this in mind when posting in such threads to ensure they stay home page.

worcej

#763 Post by worcej » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:20 pm

damo666 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:09 pm
My twopennorth...

It is evident we are by and large a well educated, intelligent community even if on occasion immature and sometimes lacking in common sense. It is not necessary to have any specific rules regarding abuse, site rules ought to be sufficient. It should be obvious if a post you are about to make is insulting or abusive. Don't try and 'push the envelope' or 'test the boundaries'. A simple rule of thumb is 'might be offensive' almost certainly means 'is offensive'; if in doubt, don't post. Additionally, I would like to have insults impugning intellect such as 'moron' regarded as abusive.

Any transgressor should be given a severe warning IN THREAD. Once issued no player should thereafter refer to the matter. Further transgression should be dealt with severely. GM should have the right to modkill but not to impose any ban (they can recommend to Council). Any non-playing Council member should have the right to intervene and modkill/ban with or without consultation with the GM. I believe a modkill for abuse or disrespect of GM should be subbed if possible to avoid detriment to the team.

If at least one Council member is going to sit out of each game then the Council membership should be increased by at least one to be fair to Council members.

Game threads should be hidden for at least 6 games/6 months whichever is longer. Once the community has proved it can behave properly an appeal to have unhidden threads could be made if Council deems appropriate. However, I think it important that sign up threads do stay unhidden to encourage new blood. Players should bear this in mind when posting in such threads to ensure they stay home page.
I think the highlighted portion is critical, even in the Jamie/Bunny situations they discussed. If everyone sees a public warning of any sort, that should end any reference to an issue down the road.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#764 Post by Chaqa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Game threads had been unhidden for a time, which I believe started simply when I GM'd my first game back on the new forum and just didn't know to add [HIDDEN] to it. Others followed suit... and we had little/no issues until M62. I don't think it can be too easily put on any one thing.

I think the blow up can be blamed on a few things:
  • Several polarizing community members all playing in that game
  • A relatively "weak" council, in that they haven't needed to be active, therefore they are not viewed as authoritatively as they maybe should be
  • A GM who is more familiar with the old days where the forum was much more vitriolic and players like krellin or ND would be the norm, not an outlier
  • Specific inter-player relationships/rivalries/dislikes sparking a cycle of backlash

brainbomb

#765 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Hellenic Riot wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:31 am
Many years ago, back in 2016 or whenever, this conversation first came up after numerous events of similar vitriolic conditions. Back then, the solution was to first form the Mafia Council (so as to avoid the mod team having to moderate Mafia), which had a mandate to make an attempt at fixing each of the things which had been creating Mafia drama back then. It was pretty successful, and mafia generally got much friendlier/less dramatic (whether that was because of one of the main initiators back then being banned or because of the council itself could be a matter of debate).

It seems that in the years since then, the Council very much receded in prominence as there weren't significant issues occurring anymore. But when it comes to the game in question, I feel the main reason it was ignored was because it was badly mishandled initially by the GM who attempted to brush it under the rug (sorry PE), and there was far too much equivocation at that time, which meant that things had escalated to a point whereby it was too little too late by the time any serious attempts to actually shut it down began. A critical mass of vitriol had occurred and it was dominating the thought process of multiple players. Whilst you could delve into it and portion blame out to each individual act of escalation that occurred in that chain of events, at the end of the day the primary reason that it blew out of control was because it was mishandled by the GM when they had the chance to shut it down, and I don't think that digging in to blame every individual post is going to be beneficial in any way here.

It could and should have been cut out at the root, and the main lesson to be learnt here is that that's what should be done in future.

2016 Timeline of events

M16 Reverse Mafia Game - Anger at ND and Chaqa over decision to not answer GM calls from Jamie and ghug

M17 No Drama

M18 Wjessop game spills into drama, goldfinger modkilled, wjessop banned mid game.

M19 Chaqa, Vash, meme create a fake game giving everyone a day vig in a 21 player game. Drama ensues.

~~~Council Formed to deal with too many weird setups~~~

M20 brainbomb scheduled to run M20 but deletes a server on discord where webdip players were playing. Brainbomb is banned by the council from gming or playing. Brainbomb loses M20 gm rights.

The council dealt with my indiscretion immediately and my indiscretion wasnt even on webdip. I was forgiven within two games, and allowed to play. Within 6 months durga decided to be in games with me. within 6 months I was able to GM my first game with ND.

if Webdip took a harder stance like mafiauniverse does I would still be banned here. When you call someone an incel in a game, you get perm banned. when you call someone a bitch you get perm banned. when you destroy a game in another comunity you get perm banned. when you demonstrate a lack of integrity in how you play you shouldnt be playing.

To cut out a problem at its root means you start chippee rocking players out of your circle.

brainbomb

#766 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:34 pm

The chipeerock drama was handled more poorly than our current drama imo. And to be honest the way I was punished was fair. mafiauniverse bans people for things they say and do on other communities. If we wanna get super rule mongery trust me, it can get way way worse.

lets say I go gamethrow in one of chaqas among us games on his discord. are you gonna ban me from playing in webdip mafia?

brainbomb

#767 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:35 pm

all this because we got hidden? lets be real that what were actually most upset about is getting hidden from the forum because we had a lil bit of drama.

brainbomb

#768 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:35 pm

maybe like, get over it and stuff

Fluminator

#769 Post by Fluminator » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:36 pm

lets say I go gamethrow in one of chaqas among us games on his discord. are you gonna ban me from playing in webdip mafia?
I'd argue someone doing that should be banned from playing diplomacy on webdip as well.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#770 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Do not talk about the Chipperock thing as if you know what happened. You do not.

brainbomb

#771 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm
Do not talk about the Chipperock thing as if you know what happened. You do not.
I was in that game and I had just caught Jamie. very disappointing that chippe started +1 ing my posts

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#772 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm

I agree that warnings should be made both through PM (in detail) and in the game thread. (in general)

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#773 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:39 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 pm
I was in that game and I had just caught Jamie. very disappointing that chippe started +1 ing my posts

brainbomb

#774 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:41 pm

JUSTICE FOR COOKIEROCK

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#775 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:41 pm

I was just coming off a long post and decided to trash it. I keep reflecting on the ideas of mutual respect and, "Would I talk to anyone F2F publicly like I talk to some of you here."

Working with kids, there are many things we hear them say that we work to shift in a respectful way. In our collaborative classrooms we don't need to hear language like "stupid," "shut up," "retard," etc.

A lot of you have long history with one another on here. A lot of us don't so we don't have that experience to go from. That aside, I concur with Damo's statement that it should be obvious that what we're about to post would be insulting or abusive. As a matter of fact, the more I re-read their post, I really like it. It sets some good ground-rules for life in the commons.

brainbomb

#776 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:36 pm
I'd argue someone doing that should be banned from playing diplomacy on webdip as well.
So if I purposefully idle in a rocket league game with you, I could be banned from webdip games

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#777 Post by Chaqa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm

I think Eden should be banned for some of the questionable things he's done in Among Us.

brainbomb

#778 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:55 pm

I think worcej should self ban for a game or more.
Usually something like what worcej did and what ghug did result in recusing oneself for a game to show contrition.

I did this a few times, chaqa has sat out a game before, jamie has a few times and im sure others have also for conduct. Usually sitting out a game or two shows a sign of remorse and acceptance of wrongdoing. then you come back fresh and ready to play a more focused game.

brainbomb

#779 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:06 pm

One great thing about webdip is that players do rehabilitate. Even though people here have done everything from get forum silenced, banned, banned from mafia, banned from gming. Every single person who has ever been punished has come back. The only exceptions are wjessop, toemato, and oztra who all got banned for multi accounting which webdip isnt gonna forgive.

but take Jamie for example: was advocating for beating up anyone who was a white supremecist and got banned, got unbanned, got mafia banned for dead posting, and now hes risen to being on our council and a respected community member. This is not to pick on jamie even though he basically blasted me in maf chat after my death lol.

President Eden

#780 Post by President Eden » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm
I think Eden should be banned for some of the questionable things he's done in Among Us.
okay hold up