Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
TheFlyingBoat

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#361 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 pm

@Austria how do you want to play this? Do you want to coordinate close to deadline after setting our initial plan? Have one person set their moves and the other operate as a random switch between a couple options that maximizes odds of success?

e.m.c^42

#362 Post by e.m.c^42 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:46 pm

Alrighty, mafia game has ended, so I'm back to more activity hopefully.

Minister of Silly Walks

#363 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 am

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 pm
@Austria how do you want to play this? Do you want to coordinate close to deadline after setting our initial plan? Have one person set their moves and the other operate as a random switch between a couple options that maximizes odds of success?
We can sure do that,
Who is gonna be the switch? And
Which country are you?

Minister of Silly Walks

#364 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 am
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 pm
We can sure do that,
Who is gonna be the switch? And
Which country are you?
Sorry, I was just now writing in that haiku-only game and I haven't quite changed my mindset back to normal.

Minister of Silly Walks

#365 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:13 am

Nevermind that, too. I remember you are Italy, I just misread the username.

Claesar

#366 Post by Claesar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:27 am

I figured it out! Goldfinger is Germany. He's really the only candidate that makes sense. Intelligent, but greedy..

Goldie, are you willing to drop the act and work together?

TheFlyingBoat

#367 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:13 am
You support me into Smyrna. I'll be the switch between Smy and Syr

Minister of Silly Walks

#368 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:36 pm
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:13 am
You support me into Smyrna. I'll be the switch between Smy and Syr
Sure.

Minister of Silly Walks

#369 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:06 pm

Looks like Turkey went for 0-0 chance of holding onto the territory (and this has nothing to do with chess).

e.m.c^42

#370 Post by e.m.c^42 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Hah, well, pity that Russia decided to do war on two fronts.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#371 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:33 pm

To England (whoever you are): Your moves are clearly not working as you intend for them to, so I suggest you listen to me for at least the next turn or two. I have proven myself to be your ally by attacking France and by having Denmark offer support for Norway into Sweden. Your order for Norway makes no sense. You knew that Russia was going to do a supported attack on Norway, so using it to support yourself into the North Sea was futile. It would have been much better had you moved to Sweden. I was happy to see you finally take back the North Sea though.
Your retreat does not matter much, but a retreat to Barents Sea gives you the flexibility of pressuring St Pete in the fall, so I would suggest retreating there. As far as moves for the fall go, I will make a supported attack on Sweden, you make a supported attack on Norway, and unless your fleet in North Sea gets bounced, Russia loses both of those SCs in Scandinavia which is a huge win for us. Also depending on how France retreats, your next goal in attacking France is getting into the Channel. Consider using Belgium and Irish Sea to get into the Channel, and watch out for the French invasion of Irish Sea in return. This attack on the Channel also makes it less likely that France would tap North Sea.

To Italy: Thank you for your tap there. Obviously we need to wait for the French retreat to plan our moves for Fall, but this will be a crucial turn for us, so I hope that we will be able to coordinate with each other and not reach any misunderstandings. I would hate to lose you as an ally at this point. Also, nice work on that convoy into Turkey.

To Austria: Hopefully England is sensible and we can take some steam out of Russia's northern front this year. That, combined with the inevitable fall of Turkey should help you out on your front. Stay strong.

To France: You look lost. English Channel hold and Marseilles hold?? It seems you are giving up on this game, which you should never do in a game of diplomacy. You still have a chance of protecting your SCs and taking Portugal this phase, which would yield you a build despite the advances we are making on you. Again, I would have worked with you, but you just don't seem to have it in you to attack anyone, which is what I need in an ally when I am going to war. For you to have any chance at surviving from this game, you will need to persuade either myself or England to join your side, and that requires gaining a favorable position, which you are not going to gain by entering holds.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#372 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm

I have kind of lost track of who is who. Is TheFlyingBoat Italy?

Minister of Silly Walks

#373 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm
At least I was operating under that assumption for the last year.

The Minister of Silly Walks

#374 Post by The Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:33 pm

To France: You look lost. English Channel hold and Marseilles hold?? It seems you are giving up on this game, which you should never do in a game of diplomacy. You still have a chance of protecting your SCs and taking Portugal this phase, which would yield you a build despite the advances we are making on you. Again, I would have worked with you, but you just don't seem to have it in you to attack anyone, which is what I need in an ally when I am going to war. For you to have any chance at surviving from this game, you will need to persuade either myself or England to join your side, and that requires gaining a favorable position, which you are not going to gain by entering holds.
I’ve accepted your offers to work with you twice now, but it’s been to no avail. The first time you said nothing in response to me accepting your offer, and the second time Claesar brought our two nations to the brink of war by impersonating me, despite the fact that you came through and waited a round before invading Burgundy. I would still be happy to work with you, and will be moving to take Portugal in Autumn. In response to your invasion of Burgundy, I will have to take a defensive position in Paris until you show that you are willing to work together.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#375 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

The Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:04 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:33 pm

I’ve accepted your offers to work with you twice now, but it’s been to no avail. The first time you said nothing in response to me accepting your offer, and the second time Claesar brought our two nations to the brink of war by impersonating me, despite the fact that you came through and waited a round before invading Burgundy. I would still be happy to work with you, and will be moving to take Portugal in Autumn. In response to your invasion of Burgundy, I will have to take a defensive position in Paris until you show that you are willing to work together.
France didn't make the moves that I laid out for them either of the two times I offered support. The first time they played defensively instead of attacking England, and the second time they moved to Belgium when I offered support into North Sea. Instead they bounced me in Belgium when the lead spokesperson for France said it was mine. I really tried, but France has yet to attack an actual English SC, even when I was offering support

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#376 Post by goldfinger0303 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 pm

Yeah this is where clowning around and pretending to be multiple countries really hurts you in your negotiating. From reading the thread I still don't have clues who anyone really is with 100% certainly except FlyingBoat. Maybe y'all should take a lesson from that.

If you're going to impersonate, make sure you do it for a reason, not for lulz.

TheFlyingBoat

#377 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm
I think I'm the only one you can say is a particular country with any certainty. Yes I'm Italy.

Claesar

#378 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:46 am

The Minister of Silly Walks wrote: ... and the second time Claesar brought our two nations to the brink of war by impersonating me, despite the fact that you came through and waited a round before invading Burgundy. I would still be happy to work with you, and will be moving to take Portugal in Autumn. In response to your invasion of Burgundy, I will have to take a defensive position in Paris until you show that you are willing to work together.
Indeed, I managed to convince Squigs out of Burgundy for a critical turn. I really can't help your press any further though, as no one will buy these moves as mine. Half your units don't have orders. This is shameful.

I'm going to presume your favourite sport is Rugby (Union). Do you know why no team ever fields only 7 players (instead of 13; rounding up to make you seem slightly less incompetent)? Because that would be daft!!

And don't think you can hide behind your name. These moves weren't silly. Even a silly walk goes somewhere.

One turn I even wrote down what your moves should be. You didn't follow, but you didn't take over the press either. That will never work.

Claesar

#379 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:48 am

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 pm
Yeah this is where clowning around and pretending to be multiple countries really hurts you in your negotiating. From reading the thread I still don't have clues who anyone really is with 100% certainly except FlyingBoat. Maybe y'all should take a lesson from that.

If you're going to impersonate, make sure you do it for a reason, not for lulz.
I feel quite certain about Austria and Russia as well. They're not trying to explain their moves in hindsight; they clearly control the country.

Claesar

#380 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:53 am

Goldfinger is correct though, now is the right time for me to reveal my true identity. I'll do my press after I get some work done here.