Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#381 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:27 am

Claesar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:46 am
Indeed, I managed to convince Squigs out of Burgundy for a critical turn. I really can't help your press any further though, as no one will buy these moves as mine. Half your units don't have orders. This is shameful.
You still don't understand me. I was never planning on taking Burgundy at that time. France's defensiveness and paranoia around that issue is actually what caused me to turn away from working with them. Im guessing there's nothing I can say to make you believe me though. At least we are in agreement that the French moves this turn were truly awful.

Claesar

#382 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:27 am
I've realised that even though I don't believe you to be Germany, the actual Germany player is reading this forum well enough to regard you as the spokesperson anyway. The support to North Sea proves that. Let's talk.

So, Squigs, I'd like to work together with you. I appreciate the support on Belgium. I also accept your proposal of attacking Norway and Sweden simultaneously.

I'll retreat to Norwegian Sea and take back Norway. I also offer to trade Belgium to you for another centre, at the earliest convenience. I think it makes more sense for you to have it rather than me, in the long term. However, I must demand that you build no more fleets.

We're in excellent position to help each other grow.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#383 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Claesar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am
Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:27 am
I've realised that even though I don't believe you to be Germany, the actual Germany player is reading this forum well enough to regard you as the spokesperson anyway. The support to North Sea proves that. Let's talk.

So, Squigs, I'd like to work together with you. I appreciate the support on Belgium. I also accept your proposal of attacking Norway and Sweden simultaneously.

I'll retreat to Norwegian Sea and take back Norway. I also offer to trade Belgium to you for another centre, at the earliest convenience. I think it makes more sense for you to have it rather than me, in the long term. However, I must demand that you build no more fleets.

We're in excellent position to help each other grow.
Wait are you posing as England now? I thought you were France?

Whether I believe you or not, the double attacks on Scandinavia just make sense for England and Germany, so thats for sure happening.
As far as Belgium goes, just let me know what you want to do, Holland is always available to get into Belgium, and soon I should be able to offer you support into the French coastal SCs

Claesar

#384 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 pm
I obviously wasn't France, but there was good reason to impersonate them.

There's a reason there was never an England before. I wasn't sure enough about who everyone else was to come forward, but now there is. I'm certain you're not Germany, as I said, but you'll do as a spokesperson since the real Germany reads this thread.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#385 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Claesar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 pm
I obviously wasn't France, but there was good reason to impersonate them.

There's a reason there was never an England before. I wasn't sure enough about who everyone else was to come forward, but now there is. I'm certain you're not Germany, as I said, but you'll do as a spokesperson since the real Germany reads this thread.
Actually your press as France would make a whole lot more sense if you were England, as the press you wrote helped to persuade France to stall out which is why I'm now helping England.

Looking back on Englands moves, they aren't terrible really. Not bouncing EC looks bad in context of the press in the thread, but Englands opening was pretty standard for a press game. The only other questionable thing was the fleet sitting in Belgium while North Sea was open (and the move to Belgium itself), but it was a calculated risk that actually paid off in the long run. Given that England was on the ropes, I dont actually hate them for taking that risk.

At this point, I'm actually thinking you aren't even in this game at all, but if you are, then England could make sense

e.m.c^42

#386 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Well, as Claes is now England, I shall vacate, hopefully his negotiating works better move-wise lol

e.m.c^42

#387 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Russia, I shall just say this - it's probably much more favourable for you if my golden SCs do not become green :p

e.m.c^42

#388 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 pm

Quite obviously, my positioning right now is somewhere between a dumpster fire and interpretive gunboat, but I'm sure if we coordinate supports it cannot get much worse, lol - especially because, as of currently, you seem unlikely to make progress on Austria on your own.

e.m.c^42

#389 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:40 pm

I doubt anything that I say can convince Italy to lay off from invading, as France appears to be in imminent position of trying on brown and pink, and unlikely to have any place for Italy to gain something worth commiting west for, so

e.m.c^42

#390 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 pm

Austria as well, I've lost my chances there lol

Minister of Silly Walks

#391 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 am

In case anyone is still there:
Italy, I should be able to take Bulgaria if you cut support from Constantinople.
Russia, if you still don't want move out of Galicia I will help you sooner or later.
Turkey, it was nice to play with you whoever you are.
Everyone else, just keep fighting in your corner.

TheFlyingBoat

#392 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:02 am

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 am
Italy, I should be able to take Bulgaria if you cut support from Constantinople.
Russia, if you still don't want move out of Galicia I will help you sooner or later.
To Austria for the time being I don't feel comfortable committing to cutting Constantinople as that would leave me at risk of facing a Con S Syria-Smyrna BLA-Ank play which would not be a completely crazy turtle strategy as the classic way to defend against the Lepanto is to make the Italian or the Austrian turn on the other by making it take forever. What I will say is I'll randomly choose between attacking Constantinople or support holding Ankara. This allows us two methods for success. Either he chooses to support himself into Smy assuming I'm going to cut him thus leaving Bulgaria to you whether I cut or not OR I do cut his attempted support hold and you get it whether no matter what he does with Con at the risk of me losing Smy.

TheFlyingBoat

#393 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 am

My view is so long as we hold the position we do now or improve it we can kill Turkey very quickly. If we lose an army on the inside it becomes much more painful to break him again and would take longer.

Claesar

#394 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:47 am

Reverse alphabetical order again. Perhaps I should mix that up next time.

Turkey - EMC - F

You're not getting this mark for being outguessed, but for your press. I told you to try and break up the A/I. Instead, you told both you had no offer for them (or said nothing, if you're not EMC). Is there a mark lower than F?

Italy was actually in a decent position to stab Austria last turn. You should've tried. This turn Italy can't switch, but can you move into a position where it becomes an option again?

To turn Austria, more imagination was required. I told you last time the best way to stop an A/I was to destabilise the alliance. Make one of them not see a road forward, while the other profits. If you thought turning Austria had a better chance of success (than turning Italy), the right press was to publically cede them Bulgaria! As I said earlier, as Turkey you can afford the (temporary) loss of Bulgaria. When you lose a home centre though, the house comes tumbling down. Austria usually doesn't reach beyond Bulgaria anyway, so there was room for negotiation there. The lesser of two evils.

Russia - Temasek - F

You did the opportunistic build of a fleet in St.Peters, but were betrayed by Germany. A fleet build in Berlin is always a declaration of war on Russia! It can't realistically go anywhere else, and the press certainly didn't suggest otherwise either. Instead of adjusting your plan, you just silently supported yourself into Norway anyway. Now, the entire north is lost. The east is all you have left, so make it count.

In the east, you stuck with Turkey. That's not horrible per se, but your moves were very unimaginitive. You truly thought Budapest would be undefended? Moving to Bohemia would've been much better, but that ship has sailed now as well (as it would take you another year at least to gain a build). Meanwhile, Turkey was outguessed and will inevitably die. They're not even really trying to survive, either. Can you get off the sinking ship, or will you insist on going down with them?

I'm starting to wonder whether Russia's poor performance in Gunboat is because of players like you who have no other trick but to Juggernaut.

Italy - FlyingBoat - A

Very well done!

I don't hate the move to Piedmont as much as Goldfinger. It lowers your solo potential, but increases your odds to make it into the draw. The reason is that you need Iberia for a solo, but now it will be hard to race E/G there. If you made that choice consciously, many top players will scoff at it. They forgot were they came from though. I consider it a perfectly defensible move. France no longer threatens your existence and it will be quite a while until England does.

Now is not the time to become complacent though. Make sure you keep all your allies happy. At least the ones you want to keep by your side.. Many players fail to see things from the perspective of others and are surprised when they're stabbed out of frustration.

Germany - Goldfinger? - A

You've managed to secure another build, gained an ally, and a great positional advantage.

Now is not the time to become complacent though. Make sure you keep all your allies happy. At least the ones you want to keep by your side.. Many players fail to see things from the perspective of others and are surprised when they're stabbed out of frustration.

France - TMOSW - F

E/G allied and you failed to move half of your units. There are not many turns left for you unless you can destabilise their alliance. Make one of them unhappy enough to turn on the other with your help. Look at what you can offer others. There's still time, if you start sending press right now. To whom can you be more useful alive than dead?

England - Claesar - D

Difficult turn to rate. If this was the actual School of War and I couldn't see the press, you'd get a B. However, I feel like you are taking the format a bit too far and instead got lucky. If you're losing, you should stop playing around.

Nonetheless, you secured an ally and can take back Norway. If it wasn't for the Norway order last turn you would have a positive mark. I agree with Squigs on that one though. It should not have been supporting to North Sea.

Austria - MOSW - A

You acknowledged the greater good and took a chance to support your ally. It could've cost you, but it was worth it. If you make sure now that you don't get left out. A good ally is worth more than a centre though. But what are you getting out of this, anyway?

Also, make sure the Italian build has a plan that doesn't conflict with yours.

Minister of Silly Walks

#395 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:18 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:02 am
To Austria for the time being I don't feel comfortable committing to cutting Constantinople as that would leave me at risk of facing a Con S Syria-Smyrna BLA-Ank play which would not be a completely crazy turtle strategy as the classic way to defend against the Lepanto is to make the Italian or the Austrian turn on the other by making it take forever. What I will say is I'll randomly choose between attacking Constantinople or support holding Ankara. This allows us two methods for success. Either he chooses to support himself into Smy assuming I'm going to cut him thus leaving Bulgaria to you whether I cut or not OR I do cut his attempted support hold and you get it whether no matter what he does with Con at the risk of me losing Smy.
If you attack both Con and Syr, you run no risk of losing Smy because whichever of the two gives support it will be cut.

The Minister of Silly Walks

#396 Post by The Minister of Silly Walks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Russia, both England and Germany are working against both of us, and I think that it is in both of our interests to defeat them. With that being said, would you consider working together? You are already doing good things against England in Scandinavia, but you have to figure out what to do about STP. This round I am going to take Portugal so that I can get another build, and I will also be trying to prevent Germany from getting further. Next round we can reevaluate. At this point, I think that supporting Turkey is a lost cause, but unfortunately that is distracting many of your units from the Germans and British. I would have more to say if you had more troops to use against the Germans.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#397 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 pm

Italy: The only way to ensure France doesn't get a build is for me to go to Marseilles with your support. That is the order I have entered here. If you support me in, I understand that this is a short term thing, and evetually I will be able to take Paris and vacate Marseilles for you to take. If you are uncomfortable with me in Marseilles, let me know and I can adjust my attack, but know that France would get a build, which would hurt our ability to make further advances on him. Just let me know what you want.

England: I have entered a supported attack on Sweden. I expect you will enter the supported attack on Norway. There was a little bit of buzz around possibly giving me Belgium, but since there was nothing concrete I am not going to move there until you tell me to. You definitely could use a build right now.

Claesar

#398 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 pm
England: I have entered a supported attack on Sweden. I expect you will enter the supported attack on Norway. There was a little bit of buzz around possibly giving me Belgium, but since there was nothing concrete I am not going to move there until you tell me to. You definitely could use a build right now.
Indeed, I would like to give you Belgium but not this turn. I'd like to trade it for a centre. Would love to get a build but will only be able to stay equal this turn.

TheFlyingBoat

#399 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:18 pm
TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:02 am
If you attack both Con and Syr, you run no risk of losing Smy because whichever of the two gives support it will be cut.
Not true. If I attack Con with Smy and Syr with EMS Con S Syr-Smy still succeeds because a unit can't cut support to a territory it originated from.

TheFlyingBoat

#400 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:03 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 pm
Italy: The only way to ensure France doesn't get a build is for me to go to Marseilles with your support. That is the order I have entered here. If you support me in, I understand that this is a short term thing, and evetually I will be able to take Paris and vacate Marseilles for you to take. If you are uncomfortable with me in Marseilles, let me know and I can adjust my attack, but know that France would get a build, which would hurt our ability to make further advances on him. Just let me know what you want.

I'll support you in on the condition that you vacate Marseilles in the Spring or Autumn of next year.