Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
e.m.c^42
Posts: 5532
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: Rated 0/5 Stars; ☆☆☆☆☆
Karma: 1452

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#321 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:00 pm
goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Please, make the bad plays stop. What did we do to deserve this? Who did we, the comedy crowd, hurt? What can we do to make it stop?

France: Why did you leave Spain?
England: Why are you in Belgium??
Turkey: Are you still breathing???
Russia: ??????

The somewhat decent plays have all come from G, I, and A. Please central powers, reward the crowd with something compelling.
I think this is gonna be by invite next time lmao
But anyways. Would you like to take over England while I take a jaunt in the east? :)

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm
Karma: 611

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#322 Post by goldfinger0303 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 pm

It's a pretty straightforward game for the central powers from here.

Turkey, with a fleet in Black Sea, can do precisely nothing to stop the Lepanto.

This turn Austria moves to Aegean, Italy convoy to Syria.
If Aegean fails. Next turn support Syria to Smyrna and move Greece to Aegean. One will work.
If Syria fails, every turn Austria will support Tunis to Smyrna, and Italy will do a 50/50 between there and Syria. Either way, Smyrna likely falls next year.

Russia can do precisely nothing with a fleet in Rum, so Austria should be supporting attacks there every turn and kick Trieste up to Vienna. Italy should likewise move Venice to Piedmont.

Germany should do everything he can to F Russia's day. Most likely that will involve trading England Belgium for Sweden. And what can France do to oppose that, support hold the Belgian fleet and give England *two* builds while they have none? Bouncing Germany out will just invite a German invasion of Burgundy, which, because France only has two armies, will inevitably be successful with the Italian Pie support.

Am I missing something or is this not already and open and shut central powers win?
4

Minister of Silly Walks
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm
Location: UTC -4:00
Karma: 147

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#323 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:03 am

I think it was already really well established that EMC isn't England, wasn't it?
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:42 pm
It is rather telling though, that England didn't bounce - implying that they weren't online after a certain point, since the DMZ was agreed to early on and it was only after a period of time that a bounce was agreed on.
Everything he says as England now should be considered null and void.
I'm sorry for not paying proper attention to the politics, my main reason for joining was to figure out the roles.
2

e.m.c^42
Posts: 5532
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: Rated 0/5 Stars; ☆☆☆☆☆
Karma: 1452

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#324 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:52 am

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 pm
It's a pretty straightforward game for the central powers from here.

Turkey, with a fleet in Black Sea, can do precisely nothing to stop the Lepanto.

This turn Austria moves to Aegean, Italy convoy to Syria.
If Aegean fails. Next turn support Syria to Smyrna and move Greece to Aegean. One will work.
If Syria fails, every turn Austria will support Tunis to Smyrna, and Italy will do a 50/50 between there and Syria. Either way, Smyrna likely falls next year.

Russia can do precisely nothing with a fleet in Rum, so Austria should be supporting attacks there every turn and kick Trieste up to Vienna. Italy should likewise move Venice to Piedmont.

Germany should do everything he can to F Russia's day. Most likely that will involve trading England Belgium for Sweden. And what can France do to oppose that, support hold the Belgian fleet and give England *two* builds while they have none? Bouncing Germany out will just invite a German invasion of Burgundy, which, because France only has two armies, will inevitably be successful with the Italian Pie support.

Am I missing something or is this not already and open and shut central powers win?
Yes, the part where we're foolish creatures of odd unit placements lol

e.m.c^42
Posts: 5532
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: Rated 0/5 Stars; ☆☆☆☆☆
Karma: 1452

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#325 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:53 am

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:03 am
I think it was already really well established that EMC isn't England, wasn't it?
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:42 pm
It is rather telling though, that England didn't bounce - implying that they weren't online after a certain point, since the DMZ was agreed to early on and it was only after a period of time that a bounce was agreed on.
Everything he says as England now should be considered null and void.
I'm sorry for not paying proper attention to the politics, my main reason for joining was to figure out the roles.
Oh, do you think so? :)

TheFlyingBoat
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:24 pm
Karma: 176

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#326 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 am

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 pm
It's a pretty straightforward game for the central powers from here.

Turkey, with a fleet in Black Sea, can do precisely nothing to stop the Lepanto.

This turn Austria moves to Aegean, Italy convoy to Syria.
If Aegean fails. Next turn support Syria to Smyrna and move Greece to Aegean. One will work.
If Syria fails, every turn Austria will support Tunis to Smyrna, and Italy will do a 50/50 between there and Syria. Either way, Smyrna likely falls next year.

Russia can do precisely nothing with a fleet in Rum, so Austria should be supporting attacks there every turn and kick Trieste up to Vienna. Italy should likewise move Venice to Piedmont.

Germany should do everything he can to F Russia's day. Most likely that will involve trading England Belgium for Sweden. And what can France do to oppose that, support hold the Belgian fleet and give England *two* builds while they have none? Bouncing Germany out will just invite a German invasion of Burgundy, which, because France only has two armies, will inevitably be successful with the Italian Pie support.

Am I missing something or is this not already and open and shut central powers win?
Wish I could give infinite +1s to this
2

Claesar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am
Karma: 1361

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#327 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:20 am

Let's do another School of War post. This time in reverse alphabetical order.

Turkey - TMOSW? - F

I guess it's not all bad as you gained a Russian ally. They have a fleet in Rumania though, so that's mostly worthless.
I personally think the best way to stop a Lepanto is to bounce Italy in Eastern Med. If they can convoy, they generally will keep doing so until you're dead. Losing Smyrna or Syria is usually a death blow. Losing Bulgaria isn't. You chose the former nonetheless. Try to break up the A/I!

Russia - Temasek - D

You have a plan, it seems. Turkey is on your side. And you gained Sweden! However, your plan requires an army in Rumania. Also, in hindsight, you could've aligned with Austria rather than a dying Turkey. Can you make something special happen?

Italy - FlyingBoat - A

You made it into Eastern Med and your plan is going to bear fruit soon. Judging by the moves, Austria is squarely on your side. This looks good.

Germany - Squigs - A

You're gaining at least one build and are in perfect position to work with anyone you choose. I love your position.

France - Claesar - C

You're in a decent position and can work with either neighbour. However, you apparently had to sacrifice Portugal to achieve this. In hindsight you were wrong! Italy is focussing on the east now though, so you have options.

Will you follow the spicy plan Squigs suggested? If so, will Germany support Burgundy into Belgium?
Or will you align with England now that there seems to be a truce?

England - EMC? - C

You managed to get that annoying fleet out of Wales. Perhaps you expected a better grade here, but you didn't get into Sweden and I don't know what to make of Belgium. You're not in the driver's seat here. Will you align with Germany and hope to get their support in Sweden or Belgium? Or will you accept France's gesture and hope for his support in Belgium? France did sacrifice Portugal to be able to make this peace offer, but he also went to Wales just last turn. Tough choices.

Austria - MOSW - C

Even though you didn't really move a single unit, it's not for a lack of trying. Russia isn't on your side right now, when they could've been.
Italy is right where you need them to be though and you're in great position.
1

Temasek22
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:00 am
Location: Not Singapore
Karma: 195

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#328 Post by Temasek22 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 pm

F SEV - RUM is probs one of the worst misorders I've made or seen, right up there with Hosu's F West Med - Gulf of Lion from the actual School of War years ago.

@Turkey, hang on there, we could still do great things together. I'll try to shift my units in a while so the unit in Rum wouldn't be useless.

@France I'd suggest you quickly align with England if there appears to be any sign of the Central Powers alliance forming. Vice versa with England.
1

Claesar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am
Karma: 1361

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#329 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Temasek22 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 pm
F SEV - RUM is probs one of the worst misorders I've made or seen, ...
At the World Championship last year, I ordered Fleet Brest to Portugal in Autumn 1901.
1

Minister of Silly Walks
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm
Location: UTC -4:00
Karma: 147

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#330 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:32 pm

Claesar wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:14 pm
Temasek22 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:24 pm
F SEV - RUM is probs one of the worst misorders I've made or seen, ...
At the World Championship last year, I ordered Fleet Brest to Portugal in Autumn 1901.
F(Vie)-(Tri)? I've heard an anecdote about this one, dating back to the seventies.
1

Claesar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am
Karma: 1361

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#331 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Everyone except Italy gets an F. More detail later, but I'm very busy tomorrow. This game just makes me cry.
1

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm
Karma: 611

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#332 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Can Austria get a super F? Like a super duper F.

France should take Germany's decision to go for Belgium as a sign of war.
1

Squigs44
Developer
Developer
Posts: 3398
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 pm
Location: In your head
Karma: 1538

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#333 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Okay, so neither France nor England went to North Sea. I should have gone to North Sea.

I'm really not sure what to do here. No one is stepping up to be France, so I can't trust any press for France anymore. It looks like my best option now is to move against France.

England: I really thought you were going to move back to North Sea, so I went for Belgium. I guess my move actually helped you keep Belgium, so you're welcome? I see you moving in on France now, so you definitely have my attention. Please talk to me, and we can coordinate a bit more. Note that I will be building a fleet in Kiel. This is so that I can be flexible. Likely I will use it against Russia if I decide to work with you.

Italy: I see your army in Piedmont. Message received.

France: Actually start talking to me and making smart moves. I can't help you if you don't take my advice and you don't tell me what you are doing. I would apologize for bouncing you in Belgium, but one France negotiator said Belgium would be mine. I advised you to go to the North Sea, and even ordered support for you there from Denmark.
1

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm
Karma: 611

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#334 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Russia shouldn't get an F though. Russia did fine.

Surprising lack of press happening for these moves though. I would've expected more collaboration in the West
1

Squigs44
Developer
Developer
Posts: 3398
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 pm
Location: In your head
Karma: 1538

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#335 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:36 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Russia shouldn't get an F though. Russia did fine.

Surprising lack of press happening for these moves though. I would've expected more collaboration in the West
Well its kind of hard to collaborate when no one has stepped up for France or England in an official way. The press I did send was ignored by both countries, so I dont know what else to do. Neither France nor England will talk nor listen, and they make moves I can't predict. It's like playing gunboat with some newer players.
1

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm
Karma: 611

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#336 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:36 pm
goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Russia shouldn't get an F though. Russia did fine.

Surprising lack of press happening for these moves though. I would've expected more collaboration in the West
Well its kind of hard to collaborate when no one has stepped up for France or England in an official way. The press I did send was ignored by both countries, so I dont know what else to do. Neither France nor England will talk nor listen, and they make moves I can't predict. It's like playing gunboat with some newer players.
Well, now you punish them for it. France has just two armies. With Italys help, you have Paris or Marseilles almost-guaranteed next year
1

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm
Karma: 611

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#337 Post by goldfinger0303 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:43 pm

I think Russia should build F StP North and take Norway though. Nothing stopping him, and no much England can do about it
1

Temasek22
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:00 am
Location: Not Singapore
Karma: 195

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#338 Post by Temasek22 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:21 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Russia shouldn't get an F though. Russia did fine.

Surprising lack of press happening for these moves though. I would've expected more collaboration in the West
All things considered I did fine, think chess where you blunder but your opponent counter blunders :P.

@Germany agreed on no England or France stepping up. I'll try and secure Norway soon.
1

Claesar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am
Karma: 1361

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#339 Post by Claesar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:29 pm

I just finished Day1 of my tournament but am super tired. Qualified for Day2, so busy tomorrow as well. Can we stall the build phase and not ready? I don't have a build myself :(
1

Claesar
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 am
Karma: 1361

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#340 Post by Claesar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Austria - MOSW - F

WHY?? Goldfinger spelled it out for you; support yourself to Rumania to prevent Russia from rearranging. Due to Russia incompetence, you would've even taken it! Instead your back is against the wall now. Your moves made me want to cry. Will you even be able to win this?

England - TMOSW? - F

This may seem harsh as you took Belgium due to neighbouring incompetence, but you left North Sea open. NEVER DO THAT! North Sea is worth more than an SC. Your moves made me want to cry. Besides, what's your plan from here? You lose Norway and Belgium next year, so that build is futile. Find an ally.

France - Claesar - F

You failed to coordinate with Germany in what should've been an easy turn. You should've been in the North Sea. It was clearly offered by Squigs, yet you thought minimum communication was the way to go. You were wrong and you know it. Your moves made me want to cry. Please try to take Portugal next year. Without dying.

Germany - Squigs - F

This may seem harsh, as your plan was good. You however ignored France's School of War post that asked for support into Belgium in exchange. You thought you were smart by saying nothing in reply, but in fact it said so much. It signalled you would take Belgium. Yes, it was offered in Spring. But when the chance to take North Sea presented itself, you didn't update and decided to be greedy instead.

Italy - FlyingBoat - C

You were outguessed. Did you know the great players win 80-90% of their 50-50s? There's so much you can do to sway the odds in your favour. Can you ensure success this year?

Russia - Temasek - F

Your position improved greatly, but not thanks to you. When you do this swap, at least support yourself into Rumania! Goldfinger publically posted advice for Austria that would've destroyed you. Your moves made me want to cry. Neighbouring incompetence doesn't grant you a good score automatically.

You can now take Norway. Do you go for the low-hanging fruit, or is there a better plan for the long term?

Turkey - EMC? - F

This may seem harsh as your position improved significantly and you outguessed Italy. Your moves were horrible though. Bulgaria had no order even though you knew Russia was switching units around to help you. Support Ukraine to Rumania! Your moves made me want to cry. You're also still dying and should try to break up the A/I.
2

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ghug and 13 guests