Mafia Championships Season 7

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
brainbomb

Mafia Championships Season 7

#1 Post by brainbomb » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:30 pm

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 7)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 7 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 27, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate (a back-up) who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!

SEASON 7 FORMAT

The tournament structure
150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 6 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 7 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

The setup: JOAT^2
3x Mafia Goon
2x Town Jack Of All Trades (9x Doctor, 9x Motion Detector, 9x Tracker)
10x Vanilla Townie

Note that the Jacks Of All Trades must use all three actions before repeating an action, i.e. they are rotating. This does not mean they must use the actions in the same order every time.

Relevant mechanics info

Day start.
Majority lynch is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point in order to lynch.
Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
Thread is locked during Night Phases.
Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Tracker and the Motion Detector actions.)
Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
Mafia may communicate at any time.
Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

SEASON 7 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from late April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Lissa#8083).

Kind regards,
Lissa

Jamiet99uk

Re: Mafia Championships Season 7

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 pm

I volunteer.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:12 pm

And if the community considers me too distasteful an option, I would heartily nominate Tom Bombadil or Bozotheclown, who I consider two of our best players.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:13 pm

You should do it Jamie. youre getting very good at being townread

Jamiet99uk

#5 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm

What website / forum / platform is this hosted on?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by Chaqa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm

I think we should send EMC.

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm
I think we should send EMC.
You're a funny guy.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#8 Post by Squigs44 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Its played over at mafia universe. I repped webdip last year back when I had nothing but time. For reference, I got put in a game that had some unusual issues which kinda sucked, but I was voted 3rd (out of 17) in that game and only played in the wildcards as a sub. Even with the issues it was fun, but you have to understand that it is a big time commitment. Over here on webdip I post at about an average pace, and I got called out for being a lurker with almost 40 posts day 1 at champs. Each game is a blend of new players, so playstyle will differ from game to game, but I found the players generally looser and more gut players than here.

The people who do well at champs have to be both likeable and good at the game. I wasn't likeable enough for people, so even though I played a really good game, that didn't matter, people lynched me and certain people didn't vote for me to advance. People are there to have fun, and so the people who get voted through are typically people who are fun to play with.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by flash2015 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:27 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:14 pm
Its played over at mafia universe. I repped webdip last year back when I had nothing but time. For reference, I got put in a game that had some unusual issues which kinda sucked, but I was voted 3rd (out of 17) in that game and only played in the wildcards as a sub. Even with the issues it was fun, but you have to understand that it is a big time commitment. Over here on webdip I post at about an average pace, and I got called out for being a lurker with almost 40 posts day 1 at champs. Each game is a blend of new players, so playstyle will differ from game to game, but I found the players generally looser and more gut players than here.

The people who do well at champs have to be both likeable and good at the game. I wasn't likeable enough for people, so even though I played a really good game, that didn't matter, people lynched me and certain people didn't vote for me to advance. People are there to have fun, and so the people who get voted through are typically people who are fun to play with.
Woohoo! We are on a winner then. Everyone just loves to play with Jamiet...

brainbomb

#10 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 am

have a reliable sub. jamie may get annoyed by the various rules differences there and uh... yea.

but jamie is a good choice hes passionate

Jamiet99uk

#11 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:07 am

flash2015 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:27 am
Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Woohoo! We are on a winner then. Everyone just loves to play with Jamiet...
I'll have you know I can be quite likeable when I'm in the mood to be.

Unfortunately on WebDip being abrasive has become part of my meta, so when I'm nice to people and stop the put-downs, the inevitable response is "oh, Jamie is trying to be nice, he must be scum".

Playing in a new environment where there's less meta-reading and more just reading, might be fun. Or..... I might piss everyone off and get lynched.

I'm happy to find out.

I am normally a prolific poster so that should also be ok, Squiggles.

I'm perfectly ok with Mafiauniverse. I'm just glad it's not on Mafiascum because I think I'm banned from there.

Is everyone happy for me to message the organiser and put my name forward.

worcej

#12 Post by worcej » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:17 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 pm
I volunteer.
You have my vote - I think you are definitely getting better about not being a shit unless provoked by one of us :razz:

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Okay then, I'm officially your representative.

Wish me luck! Or don't!

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#14 Post by Chaqa » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 pm
Okay then, I'm officially your representative.

Wish me luck! Or don't!
Just don't make us look bad.

Well, you can make EMC look bad, and maybe Flum, but not the rest of us.

Thingyman

#15 Post by Thingyman » Sat May 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi guys

Jamie’s Championship game has been scheduled :)

GAME 5 (MAY 18, 48/24, 4 PM EDT EOD)
Aersoldorf (NationStates: 10,000 Islands)
Capage (rpgmaker.net)
catgode (Kongregate)
CerealKiller (Planet Cricket)
Chilly (Devil's Nest)
Dyslexicon (Personality Cafe)
GCEDW (Chess.com)
Jamiet99uk (webDiplomacy)
Motherhen (The World of Werewolf)
Pragmatic (The TvM Hub)
Relm (Karma/1453)
TK5141 (Hattrick.org (Swedish))
Uchiha Ojii-san (Naruto Forums)
Violet (Kylä)
wikkiden (B&C Gaming)

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
We have a big server on Discord (1,000+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/CwDKmjQ

2) Upon joining the server, please inform us of who you are and which community you are from. We will then give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel.

You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Mafia Championship Podcast
For the first time ever, there will be a Mafia Championship podcast.

The first episode goes live on Twitch at Sunday 4 PM Eastern - i.e. tomorrow. It will feature 4 former winners. There will also be podcasts on the following Sundays.

It will go live here, if you are interested: https://www.twitch.tv/mrthingyman/

Where do I get more info?
Refer to this thread: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/th ... nformation

This thread will tell you all the details about this season. It also includes a list of the 165 participating communities and their representatives.

If you need to get in contact with me, my Discord is Thingyman#6075

Thingyman

#16 Post by Thingyman » Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Jamie's game has started: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/th ... ampionship

I wish them good luck. Info on how to spectate and watch the accompanying podcast in the post above :D