Mafia XXXIV Game Thread - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Rjmcf
Code Contributor
Code Contributor

Re: Mafia XXXIV Game Thread - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

#41 Post by Rjmcf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 am

If that’s the case that’s super not clear in the rules. The order of the night has the gunsmith deliver the gun before the shots are adjudicated. For all I know (not having played before) someone could be told they have been given a gun and then immediately have an opportunity to shoot.

ND

#42 Post by ND » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 am

So if you look at End of Night operations you will see that the gunsmith gives out the item and then the GM's will process the remainder of the night actions. Since the GM's will literally be adjudicating this after the deadline there won't be time for a player who receives a gun PM to use it N1.

But, if it isn't clear to you then feel free to hash tag (x2) call GM and ask your question. They will answer it.

thamrick

#43 Post by thamrick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 am

Rjmcf wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 am
If that’s the case that’s super not clear in the rules. The order of the night has the gunsmith deliver the gun before the shots are adjudicated. For all I know (not having played before) someone could be told they have been given a gun and then immediately have an opportunity to shoot.
I feel like it's pretty clear that any night interactions don't get carried out until the end of night. Regardless, the order of the night refers to how the actions are given precedent.

So this is your first Mafia game? Welcome.

Regarding the gun, I agree that it's obviously a con if the gun is given to a mafia, but that is true at any point throughout the game, and if there's someone who is believed to be likely mafia, they aren't going to be given a gun anyways. I think the gunsmith's best option is to give a gun to someone they think is likely town N1. Purely on odds, gunsmith has a pretty decent chance of giving a gun to town N1. The only way the odds are better on N2 is if we catch and lynch a mafia.

brainbomb

#44 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:25 am

thamrick wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 am
Rjmcf wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 am
I feel like it's pretty clear that any night interactions don't get carried out until the end of night. Regardless, the order of the night refers to how the actions are given precedent.

So this is your first Mafia game? Welcome.

Regarding the gun, I agree that it's obviously a con if the gun is given to a mafia, but that is true at any point throughout the game, and if there's someone who is believed to be likely mafia, they aren't going to be given a gun anyways. I think the gunsmith's best option is to give a gun to someone they think is likely town N1. Purely on odds, gunsmith has a pretty decent chance of giving a gun to town N1. The only way the odds are better on N2 is if we catch and lynch a mafia.
DILLY DILLY

ND

#45 Post by ND » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:30 am

The gunsmith is an interesting role. It is a 4x role. Meaning that the role has four guns to give.

If the Gunsmith doesn't give a gun N1 then that would mean they would give guns N2, N3, N4, and N5. It's risky to skip N1 because after a certain point the true laws that govern every mafia game come into effect. And that is as the game progresses the player pool shrinks and it is more likely that one gets targeted by something. The Gunsmith has to evade lynch and NK until D6 if they skip N1 and also the RB and any other negative effects. That's going to be hard to get the most out of the role if you wait, but then again if you don't have the reads N1 you don't have the reads to give a gun so it comes down to what you think is best at the end of the day.

brainbomb

#46 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 am

The point of this is so I give the gun to someone who shoots a person I scumread. Who I also respect and on some basic level I trust their judgement.

I would never holster. Thats idiotic. Giving guns to scum is not always the sexiest thing but usually scum with a gun out themself. So theres never a reason for me not to gun.

So yes I will gun someone who looks townie and piles up the most dilly dilly moments.

brainbomb

#47 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:06 am

Last game Damian was horrible as my role. He fucked around. The guns he gave out killed only town.

Tell me who to gun by telling me who youd shoot

thamrick

#48 Post by thamrick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 am

brainbomb wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 am
The point of this is so I give the gun to someone who shoots a person I scumread. Who I also respect and on some basic level I trust their judgement.

I would never holster. Thats idiotic. Giving guns to scum is not always the sexiest thing but usually scum with a gun out themself. So theres never a reason for me not to gun.

So yes I will gun someone who looks townie and piles up the most dilly dilly moments.
Is this a form of currency now? Dilly dilly moments? Can I exchange them for dilly dilly coins? What's the exchange rate there? How many dilly dilly coins buys a gun?

But yeah. I'm genuinely baffled by the suggestion to not pass out a gun. I don't know Dargorygel but I take it he's a mafia veteran. @Dargorygel care to further explain your reasoning on why gunsmith shouldn't give out a gun?

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#49 Post by rdrivera2005 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 am

Brain, you should give a gun out and you should give it to me because I am town.

I am not sure now who I will shoot, half the players didn´t even show, but I will tell you who I will shoot at start of the night (assuming the town people aren´t stupid enough to lynch me).

Right now I want to shoot Tom just because he is kicking my ass on our diplomacy game.

brainbomb

#50 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:43 am

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 am
Brain, you should give a gun out and you should give it to me because I am town.

I am not sure now who I will shoot, half the players didn´t even show, but I will tell you who I will shoot at start of the night (assuming the town people aren´t stupid enough to lynch me).

Right now I want to shoot Tom just because he is kicking my ass on our diplomacy game.
DILLY DILLY

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#51 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 am

Sup friends. This is going to be fun.

I'm sad you want to shoot me rd. I hope that is in jest.

But yes, it is silly to suggest the gunsmith not hand out guns as quickly as they are able.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#52 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:56 am

@thamrick: How experienced are you with mafia?

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#53 Post by DemonRHK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:04 am

Hello once again everyone. I am back.

Sorry I wasn't here at game start, but two big video game releases means I've been binge playing both. I'll keep things up on 2nd monitor now though.

I promise I will not pull the RHK signature suicide hammer this game.

I'd take a gun but it's way to early to have a read for a shot. The activity level is a little low, but it is a Friday night, you'd think more people wouldn't have anything to do.

Anyway, two millers and a scum PR that can cause town on town killings makes me a bit nervous on first glance, there is a lot of chances for bad info to flow around, so people need to not lurk and participate, myself included.

...yea, we all know that's never going to happen, but it's worth a try.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#54 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 am

##vote DemonRHK

Tells people not to lurk while simultaneously laying the foundation to justify his future lurking.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#55 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:19 am

I was worried I would miss an interesting beginning of the game, but looks like everyone else was out and about like me. On an unrelated note, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was fantastic. Frances McDormand is amazing - she deserves another Oscar.

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#56 Post by DemonRHK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 am

Where in the hell do you get I am going to lurk from? The fact I specifically said I'm taking steps to not lurk?

You're forcing a narrative.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#57 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:23 am

Saying you are taking steps not to lurk is meaningless. You could just not lurk - no need to announce to everyone the effort you are putting into not lurking.

It just seems like you are giving yourself an out as scum. You get into trouble, fall silent for a period of time, and now have a crutch to fall back on: "Oh, sorry, these two games came out and kept me busy."

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#58 Post by DemonRHK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:25 am

I don't plan to lurk. But it doesn't change the fact you snapped a hard read and vote off of something think think might happen, but hasn't.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#59 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:30 am

I trust my gut.

But my read is based on the crutch you are giving yourself to excuse future actions - not speculation of what your future actions will be.

thamrick

#60 Post by thamrick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:31 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:56 am
@thamrick: How experienced are you with mafia?
I've played 2 webdip mafia games a while back. XIX (made it pretty far into game, towncleared, and town won (woot!)) and XX (ghost of Jedediah, represent! Masterfully nabbed the gun (and cell phone) N1 and N2, and the pitchfork N3... 3/3 wasn't half bad, but I ultimately lost)