Coalition II: The Shifting Alliances

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Temasek22

Coalition II: The Shifting Alliances

#1 Post by Temasek22 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 pm

INTRODUCTION

Coalition is a game of shifting alliances. The objective of the game is to end the game with the most points. The game will consist of 8 rounds, each of which is 48 hours. Since your actions will affect other players, please remain active throughout the game, read the thread, and do not rage quit.

GENERAL RULES

0. The GM reserves the right to adjudicate individual scenarios that arise during the course of the game at his discretion.
1. Players are allowed to use any means of communication available to them within site rules..
2. All players are forbidden from cheating.
3. Players are forbidden from meta-gaming.
4. All players are required to play to win.
5. All players are encourage to +1 other players' and the GM’s posts.

ELABORATION

0. Given a lack of omniscience, the GM cannot create a rule to resolve all possible scenarios pre-emptively. To compensate for this, the GM is permitted to resolve a given scenario however they see fit, within the remit of the rules listed above, in the interest of all participants. The GM will resolve all scenarios as closely as possible to the intention of the rules, and will present an explanation regarding the adjudication to the greatest possible detail (which does not compromise anything in-game) and as closely in accordance with the written rules as possible.

1. Communication to the GM should be done through PM, unless otherwise arranged by a player, with the GM’s permission. All public actions must be posted in the game thread. Any negotiations between players may take place anywhere.

2. This is a catch-all rule intended to preserve the spirit of the game. If you are considering saying or doing something that may be against the spirit of the game, message the GM about it before saying/doing it and the GM will let you know whether it is allowed or not.

3. Meta-gaming is using means outside of the game to advance their position in the game. Players cannot give other players real life money, webdip points, special treatment in an out of game activity, etc. as a means of gaining an advantage in this game. In short, keep the game within the game.

4. This rule simply means that your actions should in some conceivable way advance you to having the most points at the end of the game. This rule is somewhat subjective, because the difference between a mistake and sabotage is sometimes hard to determine; the GM will exercise caution and restraint in observing this rule. This also means that if you need to leave the game for any reason, you should not simply drop out, but should message me first so I can determine the best course of action.

9. You are permitted to click the "+1" on any other player's in-game posts. Giving +1s to the GM is actively encouraged.

PENALTIES

The penalty for breaking one of the above rules is decided at the GM’s discretion, up to and including immediate removal from the game and/or sanctions from future games. Removal and/or sanction are instruments of last resort and will be used only if absolutely necessary. Sanctions such as future bans will be determined by the consensus of the active player base after the game has concluded.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

SPAM
Spamming (defined as excessive content-free posting; or, excessive posting regarding subjects irrelevant to the game) is frowned upon in this game. Please do not spam the thread.

PLAYER SILENCES:
Players that have other participants on their mute list are asked to remove them for the duration of this game. Disputes stemming from outside of this game should not carry over into the gameplay. If they do, the GM reserves the right to address these issues and potentially remove or sanction players if it becomes a disruption.

ACTIONS:

Creating a Coalition: Any player who has not yet created or joined a coalition can create a coalition during the first 24 hours of a phase. To create a coalition, you do so publicly by posting ##Create [TYPE]. A player that creates a coalition is considered the Leader of that coalition, and has ownership of that coalition. Once you have created a coalition, you cannot change. A player cannot create a coalition in back to back phases. After creating a coalition, the following phase he must Join another player’s coalition.

Joining a Coalition: Any player who has not yet joined or created a coalition can join another player’s coalition. To join a coalition, you do so privately by PMing me ##Join [Player]’s coalition. Once you have joined a coalition, you cannot change.

Gifting Points : During all but the last phase of the game, a player may give up to 5 points per phase to another player. This may be done privately or publicly. This is done publicly by posting ##Give [player] xxx points. This action will take place immediately and cannot be undone. This is done privately by PMing the GM the same command. If done privately, it will not be processed until the end of the phase, and will be reflected on the results of the phase. This may be done as part of an agreement, a bribe, hiring a thief, etc.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not use double hashtags your actions will not be counted, for reasons of fairness but also because it is unlikely the GM will see all actions using the CTRL+F feature and this rule thus prevents confusion.

TURN DURATION

This game’s phases will last 48 hours. Extensions may be granted at the GM’s discretion, but don’t count on it.

Phase shifts will be at 7:30 PM Eastern Time/4:30 PM Pacific Time/12.30 AM GMT(UK) Time. The GM will endeavor to announce the end of phase promptly, but for the purposes of voting, we will be observing time.is.

In addition, each phase, there will be an additional rule that will take effect. This rule is intended to shake up strategies from phase to phase, and will not be game-breaking.

All coalition availabilities and phase specific rules are pre-determined by the GM in order to preserve fairness.

Temasek22

Re: Coalition II: The Shifting Alliances

#2 Post by Temasek22 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Phase 1:

Let's start off sweet and simple, shall we?

Coalitions available:

The “Popular” Coalition: This coalition has a normal leader and anyone can join it. Each player in the largest popular coalition will gain 24/n points. Additionally, the leader of the largest popular coalition gains a bonus 2 points. Any popular coalition that is not the largest popular coalition gains 0 points. If two or more popular coalitions are tied in being the largest, each member of the coalitions is awarded 12/n points, and no leader bonuses are received.

The “Gamble” Coalition: This coalition has a normal leader and anyone can join it. Each player in a gamble coalition where n is even gains 8 points, while players in a gamble coalition where n is odd gain 0 points.

The “Solitary” Coalition: This coalition only consists of one member, the leader. The leader gains 4 points.

Game has begun and the next phase change will be on 12th October [3 days for phase one] at 7.30pm EST.

Temasek22

#3 Post by Temasek22 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 pm

##GM Note: 12th September. Sorry, I'm dumb

BobMcBob

#4 Post by BobMcBob » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:47 pm

Never mind, I missed this thread.

BobMcBob

#5 Post by BobMcBob » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:50 pm

What did you do to the gamble coalition? It's... significantly worse now. I'm up for a gamble if someone wants to pair though. Just no-one else join, or you'll get zero points. Make your own if you really want.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 am

##Create Popular Coalition

PM me and we can work out payments for joining my coalition. ;)

BobMcBob

#7 Post by BobMcBob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am

I'm only paying you if... wait, you get a leader bonus? Why do you need extra payment?

PM me if you want to gamble with me.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#8 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am

BobMcBob wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am
I'm only paying you if... wait, you get a leader bonus? Why do you need extra payment?

No I pay you to join my coalition. Share the leader bonus. I just want to make sure I get the right number of people in my coalition.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#9 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 am

Do we have an additional rule this phase? I noticed you copy pasted the rules for the most part.

Temasek22

#10 Post by Temasek22 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 am
Do we have an additional rule this phase? I noticed you copy pasted the rules for the most part.
We do. I thought I put one, but appearently I didn't.

##GM Note: Special Rule for Phase One: Players will receive extra points equivalent to the amount of +1s in their most +1ed post

BobMcBob

#11 Post by BobMcBob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am
BobMcBob wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am

No I pay you to join my coalition. Share the leader bonus. I just want to make sure I get the right number of people in my coalition.
Aha. That makes more sense. Significantly better deal there.

damo666

#12 Post by damo666 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am

@Squigs +1 this msg and I'll join your coalition

BobMcBob

#13 Post by BobMcBob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

Wait, that's a pretty efficient mathod of payment actually...

tr1285

#14 Post by tr1285 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Whoever +1s this post, I'll +1 yours

tr1285

#15 Post by tr1285 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Do we have a shorter deadline to create coalitions like tomorrow?

damo666

#16 Post by damo666 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 pm

tr1285 u o me a +1

damo666

#17 Post by damo666 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm

damo666 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 pm
tr1285 u o me a +1
msg #12 please

damo666

#18 Post by damo666 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 pm

@GM player list please

Claesar

#19 Post by Claesar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Gamble Coalition looks just as good as last time? I'll join your Gamble, Bob.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#20 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:31 pm

damo666 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am
@Squigs +1 this msg and I'll join your coalition
Done