Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Ezio

Re: Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

#61 Post by Ezio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 am

Also, it's odd being in a game where everyone is pretty easily categorized as a threat on both sides of the game (with the notable exception of Xorxes and me, as xorxes is only good as town and I'm only good as scum). It means these early d1 lynches are going to have significantly more meaning to them.
Unlike most games we play where we usually just pile on a new/bad player who looks shitty early on, we're going to have to play a different game. I suppose we could try to recreate the meta we have in most games and pile on damian for his "scum slip" or "scummy post" or whatever people were talking about on d1, or we could try for a different style.

In my opinion, everyone should make a list. THIS LIST SHOULD BE PRIVATE. KEEP IT IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL DOC. There's no need to show scum what each of us think. Simply put: everyone should be significantly more willing to lynch the bad players, particularly bad scumhunters with a good scum game. Be acutely aware of this as we play this game. Even if you think (for example) xorxes is slightly more likely to be scum (than lets say) me, you should still lynch me because xorxes is so much more likely to catch scum than me, if he's town.
You can do the math of the probabilities yourself to see how large the deltas have to be before it makes sense to lynch the scummier looking person.

Why does it matter more in this game than in a regular game? In most large mafia games, there are going to be baddies as scum, and I mean SHITTERS. People who make mistakes early and often, and get their scum asses caught. How people react to these early mistakes is often telling, and even mediocre players can get accurate reads from their scum teammates. I don't expect to see mistakes, and poor reactions to those mistakes, like I would in a larger game. As a result, keeping around good scumhunters is significantly more important in this game than in a normal game, and I want to make sure everyone is on the same page with this.

Ezio

#62 Post by Ezio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 am

Jesus christ. I think that's the longest post I've ever made that wasn't either a tunnel on Maniac from that one game forever ago, or a hard push for us to nolynch in a game where it may or may not have made sense.

ND

#63 Post by ND » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 am

Ha nice @Squigs I guess I am kind of a sage. True, I suppose, but we are all meandering through the dark right now in this setup.

Tom never squanders a chance to vote for me. I love you too Tommy. Good man.

ND

#64 Post by ND » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:54 am

So @Ezio: How do you define who a 'good scumhunter' is? I mean every dog has his day, right? Everyone has the potential to be good and everyone has the potential to be bad. I think that's a dangerous mindset to have personally. At the end of the day, if last game taught me anything, it's that we are only as strong as our weakest link. Last game that was Worcej who was unable to overcome his tunnel read on me and we lost that game. So, not really sure where I am going with this, but generally there is some decent thought process in your post, but I don't like that particular line of thinking because I don't think it's generally a good idea. Unless I am misreading you and feel free to correct me if I am.

Ezio

#65 Post by Ezio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 am

ND wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:54 am
So @Ezio: How do you define who a 'good scumhunter' is? I mean every dog has his day, right? Everyone has the potential to be good and everyone has the potential to be bad. I think that's a dangerous mindset to have personally. At the end of the day, if last game taught me anything, it's that we are only as strong as our weakest link. Last game that was Worcej who was unable to overcome his tunnel read on me and we lost that game. So, not really sure where I am going with this, but generally there is some decent thought process in your post, but I don't like that particular line of thinking because I don't think it's generally a good idea. Unless I am misreading you and feel free to correct me if I am.
Uh it seems like you followed it perfectly and your experiences line up with what I'm talking about. What are you worried about here?

damian

#66 Post by damian » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:54 am

So barring a strong read you'd suggest we lynch you Ezio? Since you're a self-admitted weak town player, and a threat as scum. Interesting...

Anyone who know's the meta have a comment on how that lines up with Ezio's scum play? Is he the sort to try and set up an bluff like this and hope nobody calls him on it. Or is he more subtle?

I know I've played with him once, when he was town and it feels like his town play to me, but I've got a small sample size.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#67 Post by ghug » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:51 am
ghug wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 am
Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:22 am

I know you don't read mechanics, so I'll spell it out for you here:

There is no night phase
I'm aware. I've played one or two of these with our GM involved. Mafia kills EOD. Ask Ezio I feel him hard.
So you were aware there was no night, but said they probably kill at night... Okay.
We don't get 24 hours. It's still a kill between days. Be less lame thanks

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#68 Post by ghug » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:05 am

Ezio wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:17 am
ghug wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 am
Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:22 am

I know you don't read mechanics, so I'll spell it out for you here:

There is no night phase
I'm aware. I've played one or two of these with our GM involved. Mafia kills EOD. Ask Ezio I feel him hard.
You referring to the discord game? That was an odd one. This game is entirely unlike that one, and I'm sure you know why.
##Vote Tom. You've played enough with Xorxes to know that's a dumb first vote.
I don't know why. Elaborate.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#69 Post by ghug » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 am

Ezio is bright enough to know this would look good as scum. NAI

We can't lynch the worst scumhunters because we have very few lynches. Shit plan.

Fluminator

#70 Post by Fluminator » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 am

I'm hurt ghug didn't make his first vote me.

Ezio, nobody is going to read that long post. Can you tl;dr?

I'm hoping to get 100% accuracy in votes this game.
##Vote Tom Bombadil

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#71 Post by ghug » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:44 am

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 am
I'm hurt ghug didn't make his first vote me.

Ezio, nobody is going to read that long post. Can you tl;dr?

I'm hoping to get 100% accuracy in votes this game.
##Vote Tom Bombadil
Did I vote for someone else yet?

Vecna

#72 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:51 am

damian wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 pm
I've never played a closed set up game before. So I'd like to solicit the opinions of anyone who has so we can figure out the optimal strategy. Are there any things that are normally a good idea in open set up games that I should be avoiding doing?

It seems to me that our limited information coupled with a scum day chat, means we're in for a particularly tough game. As it seems to me that closed set up means we start with very little information. We don't know if the scum team has any powers, or what powers the various villagers have.

That's going to make it awfully hard to deal with scum fake claims. My first inclination is to say that town should never fake claim, especially when it comes to roles that claim to have information. Since a partial reveal means fake claims will leave all of us chasing down false leads.

While I do think the scum day chat is particularly potent for them, I do think its likely also are best bet of catching scum. Active coordination, or weird pauses in the main thread have the potential to be much more role indicative. I think the best hedge against scum coordination is going to be keeping the voting fluid and active, especially at EON. As it will make coordination potentially easier to spot.

##Vote Flum :lol: Love you Flum
This is where my brief catchup starts. I do hope, sincerely, that someone has talked about this post. Because it gives me the shivers on so many levels. This just screams "Damian try-hard scum mode - ENGAGED". Especially that vote at the end......yukko

Vecna

#73 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am

damian wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 pm
What a question.
Uh. I haven't played in a while so I've got a lot of rust to shake off. I also don't really know anyone's meta.

I'm fairly busy during the time frame so I don't expect to be as prolific a poster as I have been in previous games. Used to be when I got going I could give brainbomb a run for his money.

Squig You seem to like to ask direct questions to people who are online which are related to the game but perhaps of limited utility for scum hunting. Are you familiar with the concept of anchoring? Do you feel the answers you're getting to your questions are helpful for finding scum?
Based on the page 1 interactions: Gut instinct; Squigs + Damian are scum together.

Vecna

#74 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:55 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:42 pm
These answers don't give me info on whether you are scum or not, but they give a baseline. In a lie detector test, you always ask them easy questions that they have no reason to lie to. That helps you determine what is natural for that person, so that you can compare later answers.
Yep, squigs is doing his awkward thing again.

Vecna

#75 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 am

xorxes wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:57 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:52 pm
xorxes wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:44 pm
I agree ##vote damian

if not scum then very very rusty
Hop aboard!

I love having my own little disciple to follow me around and observe my teachings. @xorx, you definitely chose the right spiritual leader.
Yep, but if we're wrong it's all on you.
Xorxes = town vt

Vecna

#76 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:47 am
First of all, Black Panther is supremely overrated.

Second, ##vote xorxes.
Oof, someone gonna get some hate

Vecna

#77 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:00 am

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:04 am
So, do scum simply have to grind out the win without any NK? I was thinking that the closed set up was scum-sided by nature, but if there's no NK, that possibly balances it out for town. But I've also never played a closed set up before.

Not that it matters on Day 1, where we know as much now as we ever know.

Rdrivera and Bozo have been scum recently and proven themselves very capable threats, but they are definitely not alone on this list. Ezio looks like the only likely lurker.

What was wrong with Black Panther, Tom?
And what's wrong with Xorxes, for that matter?
Ive played a decent amount of these type of closed setups, and -normally- in a nightless setup everyone with an action just votes for it orsends it in to the mod during the day, and it all resolves instantly in a certain order after the lynch.

Vecna

#78 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:45 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:11 am
Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:04 am
So, do scum simply have to grind out the win without any NK? I was thinking that the closed set up was scum-sided by nature, but if there's no NK, that possibly balances it out for town. But I've also never played a closed set up before.

Not that it matters on Day 1, where we know as much now as we ever know.

Rdrivera and Bozo have been scum recently and proven themselves very capable threats, but they are definitely not alone on this list. Ezio looks like the only likely lurker.

What was wrong with Black Panther, Tom?
And what's wrong with Xorxes, for that matter?
There is alot I didn't care for about Black Panther. The action sequences are poor. The acting was fine, but nothing spectacular. And the film doesn't have anything interesting to say - even though it thinks its making a big statement about something. Alas, we can discuss this outside of game thread.

As far as why I'm voting xorx, I dunno. Seems like a good vote right now.
So you are voting someone for vague reasons and spend the rest of the time commentating on flavor. Solid start Tom.
Squiggs looking slightly better here.

Vecna

#79 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:53 am
ND wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:33 am
Wait, so there is a kill mechanic built in @ghug? How are you sure that there is? I've never been in a closed game like this and there is no information provided on it.
Yeah, this looks like ND trying hard to be ignorant. He usually has a more sage intellect.
8-)

Vecna

#80 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 am

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:03 am
Hi fine Wakanda folks. I don't think I played a setup like this before, but I played a no-reveal and I think it isn't so different. We need to focus on finding scum and not on mechanics.

I found Ghug starting post even worst then usual, with that "I don't care for setup" feeling.

And Squigs is a lot more agressive on this game.
Which you should well know is a towntell for Ghug