Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Vecna

Re: Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

#81 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:07 am

Ezio wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 am
Also, it's odd being in a game where everyone is pretty easily categorized as a threat on both sides of the game (with the notable exception of Xorxes and me, as xorxes is only good as town and I'm only good as scum). It means these early d1 lynches are going to have significantly more meaning to them.
Unlike most games we play where we usually just pile on a new/bad player who looks shitty early on, we're going to have to play a different game. I suppose we could try to recreate the meta we have in most games and pile on damian for his "scum slip" or "scummy post" or whatever people were talking about on d1, or we could try for a different style.

In my opinion, everyone should make a list. THIS LIST SHOULD BE PRIVATE. KEEP IT IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL DOC. There's no need to show scum what each of us think. Simply put: everyone should be significantly more willing to lynch the bad players, particularly bad scumhunters with a good scum game. Be acutely aware of this as we play this game. Even if you think (for example) xorxes is slightly more likely to be scum (than lets say) me, you should still lynch me because xorxes is so much more likely to catch scum than me, if he's town.
You can do the math of the probabilities yourself to see how large the deltas have to be before it makes sense to lynch the scummier looking person.

Why does it matter more in this game than in a regular game? In most large mafia games, there are going to be baddies as scum, and I mean SHITTERS. People who make mistakes early and often, and get their scum asses caught. How people react to these early mistakes is often telling, and even mediocre players can get accurate reads from their scum teammates. I don't expect to see mistakes, and poor reactions to those mistakes, like I would in a larger game. As a result, keeping around good scumhunters is significantly more important in this game than in a normal game, and I want to make sure everyone is on the same page with this.
This xorxes worship is making me so tired at times....... :nmr:

Vecna

#82 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 am

Anyways, talk more fuckers. I expect brainbomb levels of your prose when I return from playing some more diplomacy. Do not disappoint me.

Ezio

#83 Post by Ezio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 am

lol ok vecna. If it ain't wrong don't break it.

@Ghug this setup is completely different from the discord game we mentioned earlier. This one has alignment flips. The other didn't.

@Flum
TLDR:
Mediocre scumhunters aren't going to solve this game like they can normal games because everyone in this game is (at the very least) solid. There will likely be fewer easy to follow connections. As a result it's significantly more important to keep the good scumhunters alive than in a regular game.

This is not to say only lynch the bad players, but it is important to weigh the scumhunting potential more heavily than in a normal game.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#84 Post by rdrivera2005 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:22 am

Vecna wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 am
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:03 am
Hi fine Wakanda folks. I don't think I played a setup like this before, but I played a no-reveal and I think it isn't so different. We need to focus on finding scum and not on mechanics.

I found Ghug starting post even worst then usual, with that "I don't care for setup" feeling.

And Squigs is a lot more agressive on this game.
Which you should well know is a towntell for Ghug
Really? I remember him doing this either as town or scum and it's usually fake. I don't this it's alignment indicative, but it's annoying.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#85 Post by rdrivera2005 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 am

Ezio wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 am

@Ghug this setup is completely different from the discord game we mentioned earlier. This one has alignment flips. The other didn't.

@Flum
TLDR:
Mediocre scumhunters aren't going to solve this game like they can normal games because everyone in this game is (at the very least) solid. There will likely be fewer easy to follow connections. As a result it's significantly more important to keep the good scumhunters alive than in a regular game.

This is not to say only lynch the bad players, but it is important to weigh the scumhunting potential more heavily than in a normal game.
I think this theory about keeping good scumhunters alive is a lot more of a filler then something really worth considering. We can't even agree on who are the "great scumhunters" you mention and even if we can they still could be scum or could have awful reads this time.

xorxes

#86 Post by xorxes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Vecna wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:07 am

This xorxes worship is making me so tired at times....... :nmr:
I thought he was just being objective.

xorxes

#87 Post by xorxes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:18 pm

ghug wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:44 am
Fluminator wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:08 am
I'm hurt ghug didn't make his first vote me.
Did I vote for someone else yet?
You forgot already? You voted for Mr. "teachings".

Foxcastle

#88 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:45 pm

We have 4 mislynches in the worst case scenario before we lose. I think that's too tight a margin to implement Ezio's plan. And it doesn't save us from ourselves, it's just that instead of debating who scum is, we'd be debating who the best/worst players are for each alignment. It's just as easy for scum to try to manipulate that conversation as any other.

Ezio, wouldn't you be worried that if we all kept our thinking to ourselves in our own private documents, you're just denying town the benefit of a record to investigate when players flip? Or did you have something else in mind?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#89 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:51 pm

I’m pretty high key offended that Ezio says kill the bad scumhunters and votes me first :(

xorxes

#90 Post by xorxes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:45 pm
We have 4 mislynches in the worst case scenario before we lose.
We don't know that. There could be worse scenarios depending on what PRs there are.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#91 Post by rdrivera2005 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm

xorxes wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:15 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
We don't know that. There could be worse scenarios depending on what PRs there are.
And even if he is assuming a nightkill equivalent it's not 4 myslinches I think. It's 3 considering we start at 10-3.

xorxes

#92 Post by xorxes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
We have 4 mislynches in the worst case scenario before we lose. I think that's too tight a margin to implement Ezio's plan. And it doesn't save us from ourselves, it's just that instead of debating who scum is, we'd be debating who the best/worst players are for each alignment. It's just as easy for scum to try to manipulate that conversation as any other.

Ezio, wouldn't you be worried that if we all kept our thinking to ourselves in our own private documents, you're just denying town the benefit of a record to investigate when players flip? Or did you have something else in mind?
I don't think anyone could take that plan seriously and Ezio just presented it to demonstrate how bad he is as town.

xorxes

#93 Post by xorxes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:23 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm
xorxes wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:15 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
And even if he is assuming a nightkill equivalent it's not 4 myslinches I think. It's 3 considering we start at 10-3.
Right, he was probably thinking "we need 4 mislynches to win".

Fluminator

#94 Post by Fluminator » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:41 pm

This new forum is interesting. I can see rdrivera reading this thread

Vecna

#95 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:43 pm

##vote Damian

Fluminator

#96 Post by Fluminator » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Ezio, do you think Tom is a bad scumhunter?

Fluminator

#97 Post by Fluminator » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 pm

xorxes wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 pm
Foxcastle wrote:

I don't think anyone could take that plan seriously and Ezio just presented it to demonstrate how bad he is as town.
^

ND

#98 Post by ND » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:21 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 am
Ezio wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 am

@Flum
TLDR:

I think this theory about keeping good scumhunters alive is a lot more of a filler then something really worth considering. We can't even agree on who are the "great scumhunters" you mention and even if we can they still could be scum or could have awful reads this time.
Pretty much this

Vecna

#99 Post by Vecna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 pm

flum is also scum

Ezio

#100 Post by Ezio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Ok everybody. I think you're all making the same mistake you've all made when I've presented my cases about NoLynches.

Can you read my TLDR again? I don't say "we only lynch bad scumhunters first". I didn't come close to saying that. What I said was that we should weigh the probabilities of keeping a good scumhunter alive more than usual.

Nowhere am I advocating "let'ts just lynch the shitty ones first"
Foxcastle wrote:
Fox I'm not saying keep all of your thinking to yourself, just the skill ordering. Partly because I want to avoid all of the shitty arguments that would certainly devolve over those lists being made public, but mostly because anyone who suggests everyone should post a public list about something ends up being scumread by everyone. Instead, just a private one for each person.