Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Vecna

Re: Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

#541 Post by Vecna » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 pm
thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

I think this is scummy as all hell
Why do you fee this is scummy as all hell?
because he's sheeping a vote literally because it's the biggest wagon. I would think it a little less suspicious if he made SOME effort to give a reason for putting his vote on peter...even if it was just saying that he thought he was lurking. As I've been looking back on it this peter wagon just keeps feeling scummier and scummier
Giving effort to look good is usually actually more suspicious.

Vecna

#542 Post by Vecna » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm
Vecna wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm
Im also totally willing to lynch DrCJG
why?
why not

Name 1 towny thing he has done

damo666

#543 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Tom Bombadil wrote:
thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm

I think this is scummy as all hell
because he's sheeping a vote literally because it's the biggest wagon. I would think it a little less suspicious if he made SOME effort to give a reason for putting his vote on peter...even if it was just saying that he thought he was lurking. As I've been looking back on it this peter wagon just keeps feeling scummier and scummier
'light poster'

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#544 Post by Tom Bombadil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 pm

I found damos admission that he didn’t really have any scumreads as a pretty town thing to say.

DrCJG

#545 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:51 am
No real scumreads yet but gotta vote so will go with a light poster.

Of these peter is the biggest wagon so ##vote peter
On the surface it seems incredibly scummy... but more so if he is there at EoD since he is voting for a "light poster"

@ Damo - Do you think lurkers/light posters are good lynches D1?

Also... why am I mentioned in only one lurker/"join the game" post :( Doesn't anyone miss me...

Oh wait now i am getting some attention, thanks Vecna

Vecna

#546 Post by Vecna » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah seeing your name down there reminded me youre a thing in this game.

The way you and Tom bombadil just show up and only comment on the stuff on the last 2 pages is....kinda odd though.

Dont you have stuff to catch up on and a thread to read?

thdfrance

#547 Post by thdfrance » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 pm
I found damos admission that he didn’t really have any scumreads as a pretty town thing to say.
I've never played as scum so take this with a grain of salt, but I think about what I would do if I were scum and that is try to avoid taking big stands and leading the charge against players early on. We as the town have very little information to go on, so it is beneficial for scum to jump onto wagons without providing evidence.

He must have SOME opinions of his own, and I think that by just jumping on the wagon he isn't doing anything productive or controversial...which is what I think scum would do.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#548 Post by peterlund » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Once again I find myself being very popular vote D1. As I have said several times before, I do not think there is that much to go on D1 without any voting records or any flip info and my time zone forces me to go to bed right after game start so normally I can "contribute" first next evening after some 20 hours into day 1. Today I am making an exception and I am writing from my work computer. The reason is that it is Friday and I am going out with friends for a veal schnitzel and *some* beers, being unsure if I can make it to the deadline. Maybe I can via my phone do a vote switch around deadline, but not much more.

Anyhow that is enough of excuses for now. Let's talk about my impressions of the game so far.

Balki Bartokomous - null, always hard to read even with meta
bozotheclown - scummy
bo_sox48 - scummy since he is way too silent for being town!bo
damo666 - scummy, jumping too easily onto wagons
DemonRHK - null, to little activity
DrCJG - null, to little activity
Durga - null
ghug - null
Jamiet99uk - ?, but regardless of alignment we could lynch him
ND - towny (Is he really able to fake town this well?)
peterlund - VT
RagingIke297 - scummy due to his "box" reasoning
rdrivera2005 - null, always hard to read even with meta
Squigs44 - null, always hard to read even with meta
Szpoti - null
thdfrance - towny, has done some towny contributions
Tom Bombadil - scummy. He figures out an agenda and then do not much more than pushing it. I have not seem much more substantial coming from Tom than his push on me who he probably know is not on his scum team. I expect more from Tom. This makes me read him as scum.
Vecna - null, always hard to read even with meta
worcej - towny, he had some good thoughts
xorxes - scummy, I did not like his reasoning around the "box" issue
yavuzovic - towny

On the box issue, I agree with the people saying that the real box holder never should out it. If the box holder says he has it, scum would know that he will get an item from it after the night, so they will NK him just for than reason the same night (It is the receiver that is protected by the box, not the sender). And the box holder should not say to whom he/she gives it to either, since then scum will target someone else instead.

So for now I will ##vote damo666

thdfrance

#549 Post by thdfrance » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Vecna wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 pm
thdfrance wrote:
Tom Bombadil wrote:

Giving shallow effort might be suspicious...but sincere effort is what the town NEEDS to win the game. And no effort helps the scum win

damo666

#550 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Dr CGJ

I think light posters are good to vote for to try get them engaged.

They are as good a D1 lynch as anyone else if there is limited stuff to go on.

In fact it would be interesting to do a scum/day1 post frequency analysis but I ain't got the time.

DrCJG

#551 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 pm

I think Ghug had a good point about Ike acting like he was unaware of the issues that arose in the prior game. I wasn't playing in the game and I remembered Worcej's folly. While Worcej didn't explain the issue well... Ike's response felt unnecessarily short... perhaps he was eager to let Jamie get into a rage... perhaps he didn't want to defend Worcej... either way its enough to put him as scum lean for me.

## VOTE Ike

His box claiming strategy was interesting to me as I had actually been thinking about it earlier withe the observer/cop. The newbie mafia game had brought up doing the same thing with the tracker... In that case I think we ultimately decided it is more useful to do that when there are fewer PRs because it can allow scum to significantly narrow the PR pool. Here, I think it is more helpful for the person who sent the box to say that they sent the box 2 nights later... at a time in which the box could theoretically be passed back to them eliminating any gain the scum could have with targeting.

damo666

#552 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm
Vecna wrote:
thdfrance wrote:

Giving shallow effort might be suspicious...but sincere effort is what the town NEEDS to win the game. And no effort helps the scum win
There is nothing concrete on which town can give effort D1. This is one of the few things I agree with in Peter's recent post.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#553 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Why? I don't really get your logic here.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#554 Post by Tom Bombadil » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm

thdfrance wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm
Tom Bombadil wrote:
I've never played as scum so take this with a grain of salt, but I think about what I would do if I were scum and that is try to avoid taking big stands and leading the charge against players early on. We as the town have very little information to go on, so it is beneficial for scum to jump onto wagons without providing evidence.

He must have SOME opinions of his own, and I think that by just jumping on the wagon he isn't doing anything productive or controversial...which is what I think scum would do.
Scum usually have this idea that they need to blend in. And the way to blend in is to find reasons to scumread people and townread people. Obviously scum know who everyone is, so they will search for reasons to read people a certain way because that is what town is “supposed” to do. Damos admission that e doesn’t have scumreads seems towny to me because it seems honest, and I think if he were scum he would have given some half assed reasons to scum read several players by saying things like “Players X’s comments here seemed odd” etc.

DrCJG

#555 Post by DrCJG » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:42 pm

damo666 wrote:
Dr CGJ

In fact it would be interesting to do a scum/day1 post frequency analysis but I ain't got the time.
I agree voting them to get engaged... indeed that's exactly what i said you were doing in my previous post.

By contrast though, I would actually bet scum are more likely to avoid being a light poster D1... at least I have found that when I am scum I tend to want to constantly be in the conversation sometimes pushing it sometimes riding the coat tails but rarely wanting to draw attention as someone not working to solve.

damo666

#556 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:42 pm

It's ridiculous to be labelled 'scummy' for simply being honest.

In the event I am lynched look carefully at who voted for me. Peter I can excuse (self defence).

Did Bo actually give a reason?

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#557 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:44 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 pm
thdfrance wrote:
Vecna wrote:

There is nothing concrete on which town can give effort D1. This is one of the few things I agree with in Peter's recent post.
I like this France guy.
There is nothing concrete, but you can give effort. You can give your thoughts, ask questions, point contradictions and all of this is harder to do as scum as you already know the alignments and the answers....

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#558 Post by DemonRHK » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm

So Yavu is getting a pass on the 'slip', fine. But the straight omgus shit he just pulled, as scum, in the last game? Really?

It's a subject for another day at this point.

Ike and Balki talking about the normally piss poor cop strat of 'everyone claim it' for the box, especially after Balki said no more talking about the box, is strange af.

thd though.

thd pulls an OJ Simpson 'I've never been scum, but if I was, this is what I'd do', and has tried to sell a (to me) pretty obvtown xorx as a lynch twice. I don;t like it at all.

##Vote thdfrance

damo666

#559 Post by damo666 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:42 pm
damo666 wrote:
Dr CGJ

I agree voting them to get engaged... indeed that's exactly what i said you were doing in my previous post.

By contrast though, I would actually bet scum are more likely to avoid being a light poster D1... at least I have found that when I am scum I tend to want to constantly be in the conversation sometimes pushing it sometimes riding the coat tails but rarely wanting to draw attention as someone not working to solve.
Like Vecna you mean?

yavuzovic

#560 Post by yavuzovic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:08 am
Sigh.

I have withdrawn my request to sub out. Having slept on it, actually, why should I let Brainbomb's fuckery and stupidity deprive me of the ability to enjoy Mafia?

I will not post again until Foxcastle confirms I'm allowed to do so.

GM NOTE - I apologize for any misunderstanding. Im going through a very crazy time at my job and legitimately thought id missed a phase shift. I forgot the game began wed. I hope youll continue playing as long as fox is okay with that.

I really wasnt joking.
He may be right. Once I wrote "day has ended please hold" as a player and GM warned me because it wasn't real EoD. Jamie overreacted there too.