Strategy for ancient?

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
wolffman1221

Strategy for ancient?

#1 Post by wolffman1221 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:04 pm

I play a lot of the ancient Mediterranean variant and i am wondering what you guys think are the best strategies. I am Greece in 2 games and my go to is an alliance with Rome. Then either with Persia or ally with Egypt and sandwich Persia. But what do you guys think is the best Greece strat?

Telamor

Re: Strategy for ancient?

#2 Post by Telamor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm far from an expert in And. Med. But my standard Greece start sounds similar to yours. Rather than contest with Rome I make peace and stop out Persia. I also try to dominate the Eastern Med to ensure both Egypt and Rome are at a naval disadvantage.

wolffman1221

#3 Post by wolffman1221 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Yeah i don't see any situation where fighting rome is a good stratagy

foodcoats

#4 Post by foodcoats » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 pm

I've noticed that fleet dominance is incredibly important in the early/mid game, but armies are the golden ticket in the late game. Fleets are key for supports and convoys because everything is basically a coastal province, but since that drives a lot of fleet building, there tend to be lock-ups around Crete and the Punic Sea later on. Having a few extra armies that can stream through Gaul or the Sahara can be a massive tactical coup against an otherwise strong enemy.

Dejan0707

#5 Post by Dejan0707 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:01 pm

I am generaly cautious with strategy that is based on pregame plans. Sure, some maps are made in such a way that country A is natural enemy of country B, but that is only one of the factors involved. Experience showed me that other factors are much more important and that if you join the game as nation A with already made plan to attack nation B it usually not optimal choice.