Going for the solo in World Diplomacy

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
ben9990

Going for the solo in World Diplomacy

#1 Post by ben9990 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:19 am

Didnt see many threads on this map and wanted to discuss a specific question - at what point does it make sense to brazenly go for the solo in the World Diplomacy IX, e.g., when in terms of build count is it sensible for a player to risk the combined wrath of the rest of the map by making a play (stabbing an ally, etc) that would make obvious to others that you have no intention of drawing?

In classic map, i would play aggresively for the win at 10 to 12 and I think the solo often has an air of inevitability by 13 or 14. What are corresponding values for the world map?

Currently sitting at 20 builds in a game with the next largest player at 15 and wondering when I can risk making obvious to my allies that I am not, in fact, planning to draw.

Claesar

Re: Going for the solo in World Diplomacy

#2 Post by Claesar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:30 am

What's the win condition for this map? Is is still bugged?

VillageIdiot

#3 Post by VillageIdiot » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:39 am

World Diplomacy is a game of endurance, once you get far enough into it a number of players win odds get small enough they simply lose motivation. If these variables are managed right this is what opens up solo opportunities.

If you make it to the end game with four pretty keen players of reasonable equal size, chances are you’re looking at a draw. If it’s you and another player both in the high 20’s and 3-5 other small countries with waned attitudes then you’ve got yourself a real chance to make a bold play that’ll get you across the finish line.

CptMike

#4 Post by CptMike » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:34 am

VillageIdiot wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:39 am
(...) If you make it to the end game with four pretty keen players of reasonable equal size, chances are you’re looking at a draw. If it’s you and another player both in the high 20’s and 3-5 other small countries with waned attitudes then you’ve got yourself a real chance to make a bold play that’ll get you across the finish line.
+1

With 4+ players on the map you usually have 2 "blocs" of allied players fighting against each other and everything is frozen (and slow). It is difficult to find a way because you nearly need to take all the centers of a player to achieve the solo. That's certainly impossible with the center of one of your enemy, even less there are stalemates everywhere in the World map.

Anyway, in these situations, the border between 2 allied players are usually not well defended. An option is to hit your ally strongly enough so that this will open his territory to you. That's nevertheless risky and if you do so that must harm him a lot, even more that he will be angry and will turn back towards you.

Here is an example (from Spring to Autumn 2018)with 4 supply centers of India falling in the hands of Kenya and that gave the solo to Kenya that won the race against Argentina and Canada.

Randomizer

#5 Post by Randomizer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

It also depends upon where you are on the map since you can reach stalemate lines if the others unite against you in time. I usually keep going until there is too much resistance since sometimes players drop out and make it easier to solo.

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by swordsman3003 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm

I have only achieved a solo win once on this map, despite playing it a fair amount.

Here's what happened: the game whittled down to just 3 players, and one of them (not me) attempted a solo win. When me and the other guy attempted to form a stalemate line against that other player, I backstabbed my ally for the solo win.

That's not that much different than the classic diplomacy map.