Can you Talk Game Strategy with a Player Outside of the Game?

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
ChippeRock

Can you Talk Game Strategy with a Player Outside of the Game?

#1 Post by ChippeRock » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:05 am

So, I was in a game and one of the players unintentionally revealed his identity who he was when he talked about a game he was in and gave several specifics about what had happened in the game that allowed me to figure out who he was.

The game is over, but I am curious to find out whether it would be against the game's rules if I had reached out to the player and started planning moves with him?

The game was an anonymous public press game. So anybody could of done the same as I did and found out the identity of the player.

peterwiggin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you Talk Game Strategy with a Player Outside of the Game?

#2 Post by peterwiggin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:22 am

If it's public press or gunboat, it would be breaking the rule against circumventing press limitations. If it's a normal press game, then it's fine.

Claesar

Re: Can you Talk Game Strategy with a Player Outside of the Game?

#3 Post by Claesar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 am

PW is correct. And remember, there's no rule against revealing your identity in an anonymous games.