Retreat into SCs

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Lord of Broken Plains

Retreat into SCs

#1 Post by Lord of Broken Plains » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi all,

It is my understanding that one can retreat into a supply centre during the retreats phase of an autumn turn (obviously provided there is no unit there, and that there wasn't a bounce in the centre that turn).

Eg:
After Spring, if we have
Turkish A Bul
Turkish F Bla
Russian A Rum
Austrian A Bud

Autumn orders:
Turkey A Bul-Rum and F Bla S A Bul-Rum
Austria A Bud-Ser
Russia A Rum Holds

Here, Turkey kicks Russia out of Rumania. Russia can't retreat to Bulgaria as that's where the attack came from (is this true?). As I understand it, Russia can (and possibly should) retreat into Budapest, snagging the SC from Austria as it is an Autumn turn.

Am I correct in these beliefs?

Restitution

Re: Retreat into SCs

#2 Post by Restitution » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:01 pm

Yes, you can retreat into SCs in the autumn turn and it will count as your SC for that build phase.

Claesar

Re: Retreat into SCs

#3 Post by Claesar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:49 am

Restitution is correct.

You're correct, as you can't retreat to Bulgaria.

Whether you should retreat to Budapest is a difficult question though. You're under attack from Turkey and I doubt you can win that alone. You need an ally. Retreating to Budapest likely upsets Austria, so it's probably just delaying the inevitable. Sometimes that's fine, but not always.