Asking People to Miss a Phase...On Purpose

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
FlaviusAetius

Asking People to Miss a Phase...On Purpose

#1 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 am

Can it ever be considered a reasonable strategy to ask people to miss a phase on purpose?
It would extend the time, and allow you more time to maneuver diplomatically to try to convince people to do what you want. This is especially beneficial in games when someone isn't responding to you, and you can't be online when they most likely will.
It could have some real benefit, but would also mess up whoevers RR that decided to risk it. I know its dirty, but isn't that diplomacy? Doing what it takes to win...?

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: Asking People to Miss a Phase...On Purpose

#2 Post by RoganJosh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:22 am

I remember thinking, when excused missed turns were introduced, that people would use them for in-game purposes. Don't get me wrong - excused turns was a great improvement. But people tend to use whatever tools are available to them. It's not against the rules, so you might as well embrace it.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 am

I don't see why not, but I also don't see why the person you ask wouldn't simply reply "do it yourself you cheeky sod".

One of the fundamentals of Diplomacy is weighing up the possible rewards against the possible consequences of the options available to you. I don't see how this option is any different, other than the fact that some of the consequences are spelled out in black and white in the rules.

qrzy

#4 Post by qrzy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:13 am

Maybe it would be a good function, If each player could ask time for this reason limited times in a match.

FlaviusAetius

#5 Post by FlaviusAetius » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:23 am

qrzy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:13 am
Maybe it would be a good function, If each player could ask time for this reason limited times in a match.
ooo, so a vote to extend a phase? I like it :)

jwoelmer2

#6 Post by jwoelmer2 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:52 pm

I really don't know why webDip doesn't implement changes similar to what vDip has. vDip has "Extend" and "Pause" available to be voted upon. Obviously they require a 2/3 majority, but it's been nice in the past when someone needs to step away from a game for vacation or personal reasons.

Restitution

#7 Post by Restitution » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:11 pm

jwoelmer2 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:52 pm
I really don't know why webDip doesn't implement changes similar to what vDip has. vDip has "Extend" and "Pause" available to be voted upon. Obviously they require a 2/3 majority, but it's been nice in the past when someone needs to step away from a game for vacation or personal reasons.
Limited dev hours and higher-priority features.

If you want it so badly, build it.

Also, WebDip has got pause votes.

Matticus13

#8 Post by Matticus13 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Also, if you really need a pause, send an email... Works great.