New YouTube Content

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Matticus13

New YouTube Content

#1 Post by Matticus13 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 am

Howdy y'all. I finally got my first video on YouTube. Life's been crazy...

If you enjoy watching other people play Diplomacy, check it out. Here in the next few weeks, I'll be adding more content. Strategy, tactics, gameplay/walk-throughs. The overall goal of the channel is to help novice players git interested and git gud (by learning from my blunders mostly ;) ).

I'd also like to list/plug others on my channel that have blogs, newsletters, channels and whatnot. Spread the wealth and all.

https://youtu.be/jBLrT5pnpTY

If you do decide to take a gander, let me know what you think! (Do I sound like what you imagined???)

Matticus13

Re: New YouTube Content

#2 Post by Matticus13 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

The narrator (me) sucks currently. I'll get better with practice!

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by ssorenn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Not bad.

Love to See you take a crack at our game

Matticus13

#4 Post by Matticus13 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 pm

ssorenn wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 pm
Not bad.

Love to See you take a crack at our game
Planning on it ;)

Thanks for watching, ssorenn.

Puscherbilbo

#5 Post by Puscherbilbo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:25 pm

First of all let me say that any such effort should be greatly welcomed by the community. So thanks for effort.

Sadly i found it rather useless from an educational perspective.

My main point of critique is probably that you should focus on a smaller portion of the game or a very specific topic. You try to discuss a whole game in 20 minutes which leads to a very descriptive rethoric. (I do this, then i do this...).
Another point would be the quality of your opponents which appears to be not too great.
It would be imho much more informative to highlight your decision making process before showing it. This also encourages viewers to think for themselves too.
So if you want to stick to ~20mins per video i would suggest to do only 1-2 movesets.
Furthermore i would also encourage you to change the POV on occasion to your opponents. The way you narrate it basically all northern powers come off as extremely gullible but you refrain from actually critizing their moves. To a novice it might seem that their decisions would still be viable whicht i would strongly disagree with.

Last not least if you decide to cover Press-versions you should separate that portion more from the moves. So hit the pause-button while discussing your press for the current move.

Puscherbilbo

#6 Post by Puscherbilbo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Maybe ask yourself beforehand:

What do i want to convey to the audience?
Might help you focus on certain speficics of the replay.

Just for 1901:

Russian opening moves.
Austro-Italian press (if known)
Why should Ger agree to a bounce instead go to Ruhr?
Russian moves in Aut 1901.
What is Germany supposed to do in Au1901? England seems pro-France and Russia will get blown out of the south most likely.

For the later part:
- Why not go directly for England
- Why ally with I instead G. I would imagine a strong Italy is less desirable if you go for solo.

Matticus13

#7 Post by Matticus13 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:58 pm

All good stuff, Puscherbilbo. Thank you for the honest criticism.

I did realize that I was doing those things after reviewing recording. I will be publishing follow up videos on the games as well. Pointing out different areas of the the board, focusing on specific Powers, scuffles, diplomacy, and tactics. As you say, it's very difficult to fit it all into 20 minutes. I really do not want to make any longer than 30 minutes, so I will be doing a summary video, followed by some more detail oriented, short videos.

On quality of play, I agree. In some areas, very little was happening from a diplomatic standpoint. I'll be going back to that in videos as well.

The game ssorenn is asking for would be right up your alley on quality gameplay. You will have to check that one out!

Thanks for watching!

tr1285

#8 Post by tr1285 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks for your contribution to online Diplomacy training.

Although at first I was disappointed to find out it was mainly for beginners because I don't consider myself quite a beginner any more, I found a few lessons in it for me. I found your use of convoys in the early game interesting. I think I tend to underutilize those possibilities myself. Also with your ability to get someone to play a vassal for you, I guess I give my opponents too much benefit of the doubt in never believing they would really be that foolish. It's very important to gauge the types of players your opponents are, and take full advantage.

I would love to see your analysis on a gunboat game, if that's something you would be willing to do.

Matticus13

#9 Post by Matticus13 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks tr1285. There will be a bunch of gunboat related content! I plan on covering the Top 100 GR round robin: Series I, and many other games.

The channel should have content for most skill levels.

I won't always be showing games/examples where I dominate. There will be plenty of times things go wrong, and try to analyze what happened. Stuff like that.

Appreciate the feedback!

Matticus13

#10 Post by Matticus13 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:24 pm

My allergies and a cold have prevented my publication of another video. I have 3 more videos planned to record when the coughing is under control.

A tactical video covering the self-bounce and unwanted support; a strategy video on the benefits/pitfalls of using a vassal; and, a FP guide on how to play France.

If you have a newsletter/blog/podcast/channel/wiki that focuses on Diplomacy, let's talk! I wish to compile a list of links at the bottom of my videos for viewers to see.

A special thank you to all of those who have watched/liked/subscribed. More content coming as soon as I feel better.