FvA Strategy - Austrian Rush

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
captainmeme

FvA Strategy - Austrian Rush

#1 Post by captainmeme » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:39 pm

https://captainmeme.wordpress.com/2018/ ... rian-rush/

The third article in my series on 1v1 Strategy :)

CptMike

Re: FvA Strategy - Austrian Rush

#2 Post by CptMike » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Very interesting article... But I expected to use this against newbees... You kill my tournament ;-)

By the way a very good candidate to win the shutdown (not me), pushed this deeper :

A Bud > Rum > Sev
A Vie > Gal > Rum!
F Tri > Alb > Gre

It is worth trying...

President Eden

#3 Post by President Eden » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Keep em coming bro, this is great content.

I know you said you're going to cover French counters in another article, but I want to open the floor on discussing that now anyway, since this Austrian opening has been so dominant in the 1v1 scene since Djantani developed it.
You say the key is not to "overinvest" in Germany. Two questions:
(1) What constitutes an overinvestment? Are we looking at the number of units France commits to the German front, or how far France attempts to go?
(2) Why wouldn't France want to press Austria hard in Germany, if Austria's strategy involves conceding ground to Germany in 1902? Is it an issue of not being able to make headway past Germany with all of the neutral territory, or of Austria being too efficient at pushing France back in 1903+, or something else?

CptMike

#4 Post by CptMike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:38 am

President Eden wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 pm
(1) What constitutes an overinvestment? Are we looking at the number of units France commits to the German front, or how far France attempts to go?
A French player not aware of what happens will take Kie - Ber - Mun with the idea of keeping them and build the stalemate there with 5 units, sacrifying these units that will stay there when fleets are needed in South and StP and Sca threatened in North. That's the point.
President Eden wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 pm
(2) Why wouldn't France want to press Austria hard in Germany, if Austria's strategy involves conceding ground to Germany in 1902? Is it an issue of not being able to make headway past Germany with all of the neutral territory, or of Austria being too efficient at pushing France back in 1903+, or something else?
It is very hard for France to move a step further and reach Pru - Tyr - Boh. Sil is more accessible. And to counter the "rush" this way, France needs to get War - Ven or Tri, which are another step further and very close of Austria centers so easy to reinforce and defend (+3 builds per turn for Austria).

The solution to counter the "rush" is to take a foot in Italy and keep a center there long enough so that Tun and Ber (and StP at the end) can be taken back and weighing wisely and propely the efforts put on each front.