Could there be another map?

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Schertéz Jackson III

Could there be another map?

#1 Post by Schertéz Jackson III » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello everyone,
The subject isn't about myself getting board of the maps we already have. I wanted to know your opinions on an Asian themed map. I was reading the description of the Modern Diplomacy map and the creator discusses how he could not have made Iran its own player because it would extend into Asia and become overwhelming. It got me thinking to why there isn't an Asian map because it doesn't seem like a bad idea. You could add the Oceanic area like Australia and New Zealand as well. I personally don't have the power or skill to create a map, but if anyone who does have the ability to create that kind of map. I do not think I am the only one who has had this idea and it would be very popular.

-Schertéz Jackson III

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

Re: Could there be another map?

#3 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm

If there’s a variant you’re looking for, you’re more likely to find it on our sister site http://www.vdiplomacy.com

President Eden

#4 Post by President Eden » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 pm

I think a 21st century Asian map could have compelling play to it. Some potential players:

- China
- Russia
- "America" (Japan + SK + Taiwan aligned together leaning on American muscle)
- India
- Indonesia
- Iran?
- Australia?

The big question would be what China/Russia/America are fighting over. North Korea could be a "neutral" but I doubt one SC is particularly compelling. SE Asia provides a wealth of neutrals for Indonesia, China, and India to fight over. Maybe make Central Asia and the Near East have some neutrals for Russia and Iran to squabble over, or perhaps even expand the game fully to the Mediterranean and introduce a power like Israel (American-aligned again? could be a neat dynamic).

I would be worried about making China weak by putting them smack-dab in the middle of the map, since Iran and Russia would both be "corner" countries China has to deal with, on top of being in the thick of things with India, Indonesia, and America. (This gets fixed by expanding to the Middle East though.) Would also worry about Indonesia having to deal with corner-power Australia (with no natural expansion path except Indonesia) along with India, China, and America. Maybe Australia and New Zealand can be neutrals for Indonesia to grab, somewhat like Iberia for Classic France.

This got my noggin joggin. If I get some time in the next few weeks I might take a stab at it.

CCR

#5 Post by CCR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 pm

There's an expansion of Modern map, with Iran, though more extended to Africa rather than to Asia - Post-Modern Europe

@President, indeed, the original message asks for a map of post-modern Asia, designed under the same guidelines of the Modern variant that we all know.

In this sense, there is only a Post-Modern Africa .

The closest to an modern asian map maybe is Asian 2 , but it is not what we want.

Now we want Eden's version ;).

As already noted above, shouldn't this thread be moved to vdip?

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#6 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:51 am

Near Future Pacific Map:
Includes US West Coast and S.American West Coast.

-NATO 5 centers (Los Angelos, Seattle, Vancouver, Honolulu, Guam)
-Australia 3 centers (Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne)
-India 3 centers (Kolkata, Chennai, Nagpur)
-China 3 centers (Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong)
-United Pacific Alliance 5 centers (Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Hanoi, Manila)
-North Korea 2 Centers (Pyongyang, Hamhung)
-Russian Federation (Vladivostok, Yakutsk, Magadan)
-Latin American Federation 4 centers (Quito, Santiago, Guatemala City, Mexico City)

Neutral Territories:
Ho Chi Min City, Singapore, Bangkok, Kathmandu, Dhaka, Brunei, Davao, Auckland, Midway Atoll, Marshall Islands, Fiji, Galapagos, Jakarta, more.

Special Rules:
Taipei is a starting home center of the United Pacific Alliance, However if taken by China, it becomes a home center of China.

Pyongyang is a starting home center of North Korea, However if taken by the United Pacific Alliance it becomes a home center of the United Pacific Alliance.

Each Player has a special ability:
Russia “Annex” - once per game move a unit in winter. If moved to a center that another player builds on then it is bounced but the build fails.

India “Industrial” - once per game build an extra unit. Rules progress as normal the following winter.

North Korea “Propaganda” - once per game avoid destroying a unit until the following winter.

UPA “Unity” - once per game turn a neutral center bordering a unit into a captured center in winter, no build awarded until the following winter.

Australia “Outback” - Once per game give a home center a defense power of 2 units for one phase.

NATO “Democracy Building” - Once per game turn an enemy controlled territory neutral and auto-disband the unit within. (Not revealed to other players action taken in winter)

China “Communist Manifesto” - Once per game turn an enemy controlled territory neutral and auto-disband the unity within. (Not revealed to other players action taken in winter)

LAF “Offense” - Once per game power an attack with an extra boost of support.

The special abilities are optional but I think it’d more closely capture the diplomatic realty that every power has a strength and has a weakness, it would lead to some strategic planning and complicated alliances.