Convoy Dislodging

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Oreo

Convoy Dislodging

#1 Post by Oreo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 am

I have a short question that is probably easily answered and quite simple but I can't find an answer to it. Can an army that is being convoyed dislodge a unit in the territory it's being convoyed to?

For Example:
Army in Naples move to Greece via convoy
Fleet in Ionian Sea convoy unit in Naples to Greece
Enemy unit in Greece hold

Would the army in Naples be able to dislodge the unit in Greece almost as if the convoy order from the fleet was a support move for the army or would the convoy order bounce and the army remain in Naples?

Mercy

Re: Convoy Dislodging

#2 Post by Mercy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 am

No, it needs a support in order to dislodge the unit in Greece. It can cut support in Greece, though.

David E. Cohen

#3 Post by David E. Cohen » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:00 am

Convoys add no strength to an attack under any circumstances.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by Szpoti » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:57 am

The manual doesn't mention such a situation explicitly, because nothing changes from the standard position: one unit attacking another. The convoying fleet is just an artificial 'province', and provides an exception from the rule that ground units cannot enter water tiles.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#5 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Szpoti wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:57 am
The manual doesn't mention such a situation explicitly, because nothing changes from the standard position: one unit attacking another. The convoying fleet is just an artificial 'province', and provides an exception from the rule that ground units cannot enter water tiles.
That's the best way I've heard that explained. I need to throw that into the faq.

rokakoma

#6 Post by rokakoma » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:04 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm
Szpoti wrote:
That's the best way I've heard that explained. I need to throw that into the faq.
I'm not sure that's good explanation though. Even a double-supported attack using a convoy can be stopped by dislodging the convoying fleet using the unit on the attacked province. Hence, it doesn't behave as a province.

Extending the example above,
- the army in Naples moves to Greece
- fleet in Ionian convoys this army
- army in Albania + army in Serbia supports Naples to Greece
- enemy fleet in Aegean attacks fleet in Ionian
- enemy fleet in Greece supports Aegean to Ionian

In this case fleet in Ionian will be dislodged and the attack against Greece will fail DESPITE the attack was supported by multiple units. This would be the case also if Greece attacks Ionian and Aegean supports it.

If Ionian was a province, from which the army is attacking Greece, the attack would succeed. Bottom line: thinking about convoys as provinces is not a good analogue I think.

osric_athanasius

#7 Post by osric_athanasius » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:16 am

Perhaps a better phase than an "artificial province" would be a "artificial highway". That way you can use more convoys to extend the highway.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#8 Post by Szpoti » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:44 pm

rokakoma wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:04 pm
jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm
Szpoti wrote:
Hence, it doesn't behave as a province.
I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that the original text used inverted commas. Careful reading, careful reading.

rokakoma

#9 Post by rokakoma » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Szpoti wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:44 pm
I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that the original text used inverted commas. Careful reading, careful reading.
Fair point, although, I was rather reflecting to jmo, before he makes the phrase an official naming by adding it to the faq.