5 Reasons I Love to Play as Italy in Gunboat

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

5 Reasons I Love to Play as Italy in Gunboat

#1 Post by swordsman3003 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 pm

I get compliments on my gunboat writings around here, so I figured I’d share this. I am trying to make diplomacy strategy writing a regular thing. I’ll take requests if you submit them to my blog.

https://brotherbored.com/5-reasons-i-lo ... diplomacy/

Enjoy.

Friendly Sword

Re: 5 Reasons I Love to Play as Italy in Gunboat

#2 Post by Friendly Sword » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Just to add to the chorus of praise, your blog is fantastic!

mhsmith0

#3 Post by mhsmith0 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Out of curiosity, since I've mulled this over.

If you're something like 80% sure that Austria is going to leave Trieste open in the fall, does it make sense to just try the Austrian Attack (Ven-Tri, Rom-Ven) once in a while? Or is the resulting war with Austria, even with that advantageous position, just going to throw the gains to R/T?

Mercy

#4 Post by Mercy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 am

According to swordsman, in gunboat it still does not make sense to try the Austrian attack if you are sure that Austria will leave open Venice. I know that because I remember that swordsman said that Austria will almost always leave Trieste open in high level gunboat games, and he is against the Austrian attack in high level gunboat games, too. (In fact, the reason Austria most often leaves Trieste open in high level gunboat games is because it is meta for Italy to not attack Austria in Spring 1901).

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 am

mhsmith0 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 pm
Out of curiosity, since I've mulled this over.

If you're something like 80% sure that Austria is going to leave Trieste open in the fall, does it make sense to just try the Austrian Attack (Ven-Tri, Rom-Ven) once in a while? Or is the resulting war with Austria, even with that advantageous position, just going to throw the gains to R/T?
Yes, almost always this results in R/T crushing you. In Press games you might be able to sway either to work with you (most likely Russia), but in Gunboat you haven't had a chance to 'talk' to them yet.

Andyyy

#6 Post by Andyyy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 pm

I wish I had found these blogs sooner. Very well written, made me change how I approach gunboat. Used to just think it's an inferior version of games with diplomatic press that's played for fun.

Tasnica

#7 Post by Tasnica » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Well done once again! You've got a great writing style and know your stuff; always a good combination.