Can We Receive Notifications?

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
mmcconkie

Can We Receive Notifications?

#1 Post by mmcconkie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Is there a way to get a notification (an email, text, or push alert) letting players know that they got a message, or that a game progressed to the next phase? I'm not seeing anything built in. Has anyone designed a custom bot to do something along those lines, or is there another workaround to get notifications?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: Can We Receive Notifications?

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm

No, nothing like that exists.

Bryandrewilson

#3 Post by Bryandrewilson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:25 am

After using this site for 2 days I wanted notifications too! I made a bot where you input some of your game and player information and it will send text alerts at time intervals you pick to players that still need to submit moves.

You can download it here and I think it should just work if you run the .exe file! You might have to have python downloaded though. Not sure.

[removed] -jmo1121109

Full disclosure, I'm not a professional programmer or anything and this is my first time making a bot/program like this so there may be bugs/glitches abound, but I've been trialing it for a few weeks now and it seems to work well enough! (At least for the game I'm in). The only main downside is it has to be open and running on your computer all the time. Should you choose to use it and have any trouble or bugs let me know and I can do my best to fix them!

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#4 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:29 am

Hey Bryandrewilson,

Thanks for posting this, I've removed the link for now since having people download un-checked exe's is a great way to get viruses. If you're willing to make your code available for people to see on github or something we'd be happy to let you post it!

Thanks,
WebDip Dev

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 am

There is a third-party solution for notifications already:
Helpful tip: The Chrome Extension "Page Monitor" https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jajcajepgg is very useful for letting you know when you have mail or an action to take
But Bryan's solutiin could be very helpful too.

rpatton16

#6 Post by rpatton16 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks for the post and feedback on this item. Push notification SMS or emails that could be sent based on user-selected events (ex. new message, turn end, Xminute no-order timeouts, etc.) would be a really helpful new feature.