World Diplomacy Championships 2019

Players from the face-to-face Diplomacy community can post upcoming meet ups, tournaments, and house games here, and members from the webDiplomacy community can search for local face-to-face groups and events.
Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: World Diplomacy Championships 2019

#41 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Claeser, can you list the top 25? or at least do so privately to me? I want to know if I beat some guys like Eric Grinnell and Davide.

Vecna

#42 Post by Vecna » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:32 pm

if you pm me your email I can sent it to you.

Davide was 15th and eric ended in 23rd

Claesar

#43 Post by Claesar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:02 am

Johnny Big Horse wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:16 pm
The only predestined alliances might have been among countrymen. The Dutch guys stuck together, didn't they Claeser? (Specifically, I am thinking of Claeser and Vecna).
Perhaps it mattered subconsciously, but I don't favour alliances with fellow Dutch players. I consider my English almost fluent and therefore will work with anyone I can communicate with. I consider having to switch to Dutch a disadvantage. You'll sometimes see me talking English to another Dutch player.

I felt forced into an alliance with fellow Dutch twice in this tournament. That's merely because there were no other options.

In my Italy game (where you were France), Austria didn't speak English. My French is very poor. We tried to work together in the first five turns, but just couldn't coordinate properly. Russia had a great start and was a former World Champion. I had no choice but to work with Turkey, who happened to be Vecna.

In my Russia game, Austria was another world class player. Turkey was the TD playing two boards and therefore mostly Gunboating. Italy came to me suggesting a quick attack on Austria. I would've said 'yes' even if he was an alien from Aldebaran.
In fact, during the game Austria complimented us on being flexible and discussing with him even though we were both Dutch.

When I found myself playing France with French players in both England and Germany, I have to admit I was a bit worried. But both considered working with me and the F/G ended up crushing E. Perhaps I was lucky.

Johnny Big Horse
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#44 Post by Johnny Big Horse » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 pm

The last game was funny though.
The 2 Dutch players were allies.
The 2 American players were allies.
The 3 remaining players, a Brit, a Frenchman and a Canadian, did not have countrymen, and therefore allies.