World Cup

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: World Cup

#41 Post by RoganJosh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Octavious, you're complaining about a tactic that actually worked. They made the best of 16.

A valid point is that it was boring to watch. But, honestly, the Japanese players should care more about their results than about wether some Europeans who'd rather watch Italy are entertained or not.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#42 Post by rdrivera2005 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 pm
Not half as stupid as doing nothing would have made them look if Senegal had got a goal. If your strategy is to not attack the bottom team in your group because you're scared they are better than you then you don't deserve to be there. How pathetic non entities like them are allowed to play when nations like Italy, the Ivory Coast, and the US struggle to qualify in more competitive regions is a stain on the tournament.
Poland was the seeded team of the group and Japan played a lot better on counter attack (like today) then attacking a solid defense like Poland. The gambled on Senegal not scoring and it worked. As a fan I dislike it too, but it's a valid tactic. Why don't you seen so shocked about what France and Denmark did in their game?

Ogion

#43 Post by Ogion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 am

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:35 pm
England have played surprisingly well this tournament. Not great, but better than a lot. Anything can happen in a knockout tournament, but I'd put them as favourites for the Columbia game.

Of those in the last 16 yet to play, Croatia, Belgium, possibly Spain have played better. Brazil have looked vulnerable... Japan have been an embarrassment to football and should be ashamed to show their faces. The others are varying degrees of average.

You have got to be kidding about Japan. Organized, smart, clinical. And very, very dangerous as Belgium learned. Yes, the stopped playing for 15 minutes when it was smart to do so. (the risk of giving up a second goal and going out was greater than the risk of Senegal scoring in 15 minutes and knocking them out. That's just smart.) FAAAR better than Russia with its "pack 11 players in the box and manage zero shots on goal except a sketch PK" strategy. Talk about embarassments to the sport. Russia is it. Although Sweden and Switzerland, two of the most generic and bland sides in history may give Russia a run for it.

Ogion

#44 Post by Ogion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 am

Octavious wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 pm
So little respect for the African teams. They're not at the level of Europe or South America, but they're not too far off.
To be fair, they're at the level of Iceland, Poland, Serbia, and, apparently, Germany.

Ogion

#45 Post by Ogion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:40 am

Octavious wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 pm
Kingdroid wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:54 pm
Japan almost made this forum look silly lmfao

Pah. The Japanese angered whatever spirits look upon the game when they played to lose in their last group game. They are by far and a way the worst team in the world cup, and it's only fitting that they get booted back home despite playing their best game after limping out of the groups playing their worst.
Seriously. You know absolutely nothing about the sport. Nothing whatsoever. Even for an American, you're pretty ignorant.

brainbomb

#46 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 am

The games are a lot more dramatic in round of 16. Not only are they better teams but many are fresh faces.

Im really fascinated to see Sweden vs Switzerland. I feel thats the game nobody has even talked about

brainbomb

#47 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:27 am

Croatia vs Denmark was pretty cool. Shootouts are cool. I dont much care for Russia but what a great moment in their sports history. Theyll probably get curb stomped by croatia 7-1 or something

Kingdroid

#48 Post by Kingdroid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:39 am

Ogion wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:40 am
Octavious wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 pm
Kingdroid wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:54 pm
Japan almost made this forum look silly lmfao

Pah. The Japanese angered whatever spirits look upon the game when they played to lose in their last group game. They are by far and a way the worst team in the world cup, and it's only fitting that they get booted back home despite playing their best game after limping out of the groups playing their worst.
Seriously. You know absolutely nothing about the sport. Nothing whatsoever. Even for an American, you're pretty ignorant.
I don't think oct is American... Unless that's part of the insult?

Ogion

#49 Post by Ogion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:07 am

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 am
The games are a lot more dramatic in round of 16. Not only are they better teams but many are fresh faces.

Im really fascinated to see Sweden vs Switzerland. I feel thats the game nobody has even talked about
There's a reason for that.

Octavious

#50 Post by Octavious » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm
Poland was the seeded team of the group and Japan played a lot better on counter attack (like today) then attacking a solid defense like Poland. The gambled on Senegal not scoring and it worked. As a fan I dislike it too, but it's a valid tactic. Why don't you seen so shocked about what France and Denmark did in their game?
The difference was that France and Denmark had qualified. The difference is France and Denmark weren't losing. Yeah, it was also a slap in the face to their fans, and no one is going to congratulate them over it, but they were through. Japan wasn't. They weren't playing shamefully because it didn't matter. They were playing shamefully based on the assumption that Senegal was crap (extremely disrespectful) and the assumption that they were crap.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#51 Post by rdrivera2005 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am

Octavious wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm
The difference was that France and Denmark had qualified. The difference is France and Denmark weren't losing. Yeah, it was also a slap in the face to their fans, and no one is going to congratulate them over it, but they were through. Japan wasn't. They weren't playing shamefully because it didn't matter. They were playing shamefully based on the assumption that Senegal was crap (extremely disrespectful) and the assumption that they were crap.
Not exactly. Denmark needed the draw to qualify and it eliminated Australia (that ended losing to Peru, but it's not the point). To me this is far more shameful (specially to France) then what Japan did.

damo666

#52 Post by damo666 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 am

Brazil Mexico was dull imo

Octavious

#53 Post by Octavious » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 am

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am
Not exactly. Denmark needed the draw to qualify and it eliminated Australia (that ended losing to Peru, but it's not the point). To me this is far more shameful (specially to France) then what Japan did.
Could you explain to me how? Denmark played their entire game at no point needing the results of other games to go their way. They knew they needed a draw to ensure they went through, and they had it. It was in their hands. Draw or win and go through, lose and be out. Japan had the opportunity to put their fate in their hands, and they didn't. The chose instead to gamble on Senegal not scoring and hope to squeeze through on yellow cards.

It would have been poetic justice if they were all been given a yellow card for unsporting behaviour and sent home in disgrace.

brainbomb

#54 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:54 pm

I dont understand the vitriol over Japan. They just struck me as a very cautious conservative style of team. And it finally cost them.

The best teams so far are Uruguay, Croatia, Brazil, France.

Just my opinion and im not a soccer guy at all. But those 4 are all pretty solid.
Belgium I feel will lose next round regardless

Octavious

#55 Post by Octavious » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Watch the last 10 minutes of the game against Poland, Brainbomb. When the stadium is filled with the sound of thousands booing, when the Senegal Football Federation write to Fifa about a shocking and deplorable unfair play, when footballing figures from across the world criticise the behaviour, when Akira Nishino himself sees the need to apologise, you will understand. It was a disgrace to the world cup and an insult to the fans.

I think Belgium are better than Brazil. I think Uruguay have been better than France for the most part, but if France manage to play at their best (which is never more than 50/50) they should edge it. Russia are on a high and Croatia are showing signs of wavering, so that could go either way.

Of the last 16 games still to play... England would probably beat Columbia 7 times out of ten... God only knows with Sweden and Switzerland.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#56 Post by RoganJosh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Still not unfair for a team to do whatever they think maximizes their chance of progressing. Blame the format, not the team. Boring, yes. Angry fans, yes. But not unfair.

Sweden - Switzerland so far has been a contest in anti-skill.

Octavious

#57 Post by Octavious » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:55 pm

The format is flawed, certainly, but that's not the point. The point is that they played against the spirit of the game. The point is that they played to lose. The point is that they played with no respect for themselves or the other teams.

No team with that attitude will EVER win anything.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#58 Post by RoganJosh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:23 pm

No, they didn't play to lose. They played to make it to the best of 16. That is, they palyed to maximize chances of winning the world cup.

Ogion

#59 Post by Ogion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Octavious, your bias is showing. You want anti-football, that's Russia. Japan played toe to toe against Senegal, they completely bossed Colombia. Yes, they ran out the clock for 10 minutes, but even in the Poland match, they had more shots on goal and were pushing for the win until the last ten minutes. Funny how you pick on the stylish Asian team that made a tactical decision for ten minutes, but sing the praises of a European team that ENTERED a match with the full intent to play 11 players in their box for 120 minutes and never even TRY a shot on goal over 120 minutes just to get to PKs. Japan had three shots on the Polish goal in 90. Russia had zero shots on goal except their PK in 120 minutes.

Not to mention the fact that Japan played toe to toe against the heavily favored Belgium and would have won but for a little Belgian luck.

Gee, why might someone apply a complete double standard against an Asian team, I wonder?

Ogion

#60 Post by Ogion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm
Watch the last 10 minutes of the game against Poland, Brainbomb. When the stadium is filled with the sound of thousands booing, when the Senegal Football Federation write to Fifa about a shocking and deplorable unfair play, when footballing figures from across the world criticise the behaviour, when Akira Nishino himself sees the need to apologise, you will understand. It was a disgrace to the world cup and an insult to the fans.

I think Belgium are better than Brazil. I think Uruguay have been better than France for the most part, but if France manage to play at their best (which is never more than 50/50) they should edge it. Russia are on a high and Croatia are showing signs of wavering, so that could go either way.

Of the last 16 games still to play... England would probably beat Columbia 7 times out of ten... God only knows with Sweden and Switzerland.

O.K. It's pretty clear you're almost completely ignorant of the sport. Belgium better than Brazil? Belgium let in two goals to Tunisia, and two to Japan. Brazil has let in seven goals in their last 27 matches. and THAT was during Conmebol qualifying. Russia is garbage. Oh, and the actual statistics suggest that Colombia and England are actually dead level