World Cup

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Ogion

Re: World Cup

#101 Post by Ogion » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:00 am

Kingdroid wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm
Belgian got a bit lucky, but their defense was much improved from the Japan game. Eden Hazard was also playing incredibly. The only way Brazil were able to taker the ball from him was by fouling him repeatedly.

I, personally, don't think it was a penalty, and I agree with the ref's decision. Kompany was a bit dumb to go to the ground, but literally any tackle would've resulted in the ball going out of bounds there.

A BIT lucky? Very very very lucky. They had to rely on an own goal and scored on one of their very few ventures out of their own half. For reference, remember the very lopsided US Belgium match in 2014? The Brazil advatage here was even more dominating. 27 shots, 9 on goal and countless goal mouth scrambles where the Belgian defense had zero clue where the ball was.

Oh, and Belgium outfouled Brazil.

Durga

#102 Post by Durga » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:04 pm

RUSSIA WINS THE CUP

brainbomb

#103 Post by brainbomb » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:52 pm

GOD
SAVE
THE QUEEN
BITCHES

Octavious

#104 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, that was surprisingly relaxed. I think Sweden let themselves down a bit. Still, it was a refreshingly honest game after the Columbia and Brazilian antics.

Here's hoping for a close fight tonight!

CptMike

#105 Post by CptMike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Guys, don't quarrel !

Belgium will soon be world's champion :D !

curupira

#106 Post by curupira » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Concerning Brazil vs. Belgium, I disagree rdrivera. I believe the team was bad managed by Tite, but this turned to be evident not before the game against Belgium.

Even so, Brazil played far better than Belgium. The outcome would be different if the penalty commited against Jesus was apointed.

Anyway, now I am pro France and Croacia.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#107 Post by peterlund » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 pm

England has a great goalkeeper making it virtually impossible to score. 😧

Kingdroid

#108 Post by Kingdroid » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:01 am

RoganJosh wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:02 am
Kingdroid wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm
The way they played against France would have secured them a victory against virtually any team except maybe Croatia on the other side of the bracket.
No. You vastly underestimate the quality of the teams in the other bracket.

And it seems to me like you underestimate them because you have a strong disdain towards "small" football countries.

Nice that you had to add an insult at the end. I take it that you're to proud to ever admit that you're wrong. #WeakAsFuck
No, I just call em like I see em. My dude, I'm from a country that is traditionally terrible at soccer and didn't even qualify for the world cup, I hardly have a bias against small or bad football countries. In fact, I usually prefer smaller countries, often cheering for teams like Iceland when my team isn't involved, so don't make assumptions.

Why would I admit I'm wrong when i have an opinion. You're also refusing to admit you're wrong, despite clearly favoring "small" countries over big ones. Also, i prefer Belgium the most out of the countries still left, and they're not exactly huge, though they are relatively good at soccer for their size, usually. #RecognizeYourBias #AdmitYou'reWrong

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#109 Post by RoganJosh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 am

The only way I could make sense of anyone arriving at the conclusion that Croatia could maybe beat Argentina, is if they ignore all of Argentina's bad performances and they ignore all of Croatia's good performances.

You do remember that Croatia already beat Argentina 3-0 in a game Croatia dominated completely? But that's somehow irrelevant... #WorldChampsLoseToFrance

Keep call them like you see them, that's what we all do.

Kingdroid

#110 Post by Kingdroid » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 am

RoganJosh wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 am
The only way I could make sense of anyone arriving at the conclusion that Croatia could maybe beat Argentina, is if they ignore all of Argentina's bad performances and they ignore all of Croatia's good performances.

You do remember that Croatia already beat Argentina 3-0 in a game Croatia dominated completely? But that's somehow irrelevant... #WorldChampsLoseToFrance

Keep call them like you see them, that's what we all do.
I specifically said Croatia is the one team on the lower bracket Argentina would have had a tough time against, similar to how they had a tough time vs France, even with their performance vs France. Learn to read, you dolt.

You're arguing against phantoms, atm, and taking personal offense to things I either never said or said the opposite of.

ARGENTINA PLAYED FAIRLY WELL VS FRANCE AFTER FINDING THEIR STRIDE FROM A ROUGH START IN THE GROUP STAGES. WITH THEIR PERFORMANCE VS FRANCE THEY WOULD HAVE BEAT MOST TEAMS IN THE LOWER BRACKET SUCH AS RUSSIA, SWEDEN, ETC, EXCEPT FOR CROATIA WHO THEY WOULD'VE HAD A TOUGH TIME AGAINST.

This is not a very complicated argument my dude and yet you continuously fail to seem to even read it at all, or are choosing to add your own inflections and meanings that i never added.

Octavious

#111 Post by Octavious » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:40 pm

I actually don't think Croatia have looked particularly impressive in the last few games. If you look at their last three games you have a 2-1 win over Iceland, a draw with Denmark, and a draw with Russia. It's been enough to reach the semis, but I doubt any of the other three will fear them.

France Belgium has all the hallmarks of a classic match. No idea who will win that one. I think England has a slight edge over Croatia, but at this stage in a tournament anything can happen. A lot depends on how much yesterday's hard graft has taken out of Croatia. We shall find out soon enough.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#112 Post by peterlund » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:31 pm

And the World Cup champs will be the winner of the France - Belgium game, probably France.

Octavious

#113 Post by Octavious » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Given how far your comments have been from reality thus far in this thread, Peter, nothing gives me greater hope for England ;)

It's coming home

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#114 Post by RoganJosh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 pm

C'mon buddy. Stop screaming. You literally said that Croatia would maybe beat Argentina, and you said that the teams on the bottom part of the bracket were "weak as fuck." Yeah, if what you meant was that Argentina would struggle against Croatia, then I did not get that. You can blame my reading skillzz if you want.

I already know that you want to judge Argentina only on their performance vs France. That is part of what I am criticising you for.

curupira

#115 Post by curupira » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Penalty on Gabriel Jesus. No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdtpc1RqEY

Kingdroid

#116 Post by Kingdroid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:00 am

RoganJosh wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 pm
C'mon buddy. Stop screaming. You literally said that Croatia would maybe beat Argentina, and you said that the teams on the bottom part of the bracket were "weak as fuck." Yeah, if what you meant was that Argentina would struggle against Croatia, then I did not get that. You can blame my reading skillzz if you want.

I already know that you want to judge Argentina only on their performance vs France. That is part of what I am criticising you for.

Right, so confirmed you don't know how to read, Got it. thank you for making that very clear. I can put you on ignore now.

Ogion

#117 Post by Ogion » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:21 pm

curupira wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pm
Penalty on Gabriel Jesus. No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdtpc1RqEY
I've never understood why people post videos of Jpegs.

But apparently it was enough doubt that neither the CR nor the VAR thought it clear an obvious.

Harsh for Brazil to dominate so thoroughly and go out early thanks to a flukey own goal, but assim é o futebol, infelizmente

Octavious

#118 Post by Octavious » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Ogion wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:21 pm
Harsh for Brazil to dominate so thoroughly and go out early thanks to a flukey own goal
Lol! Belgium won because they were the better team. Simple as that. They scored a "flukey own goal" because they played attacking football that put Brazil under pressure, and the Brazilian defence is average. They scored the second because they are excellent at counterattacking football. Belgium's only major weakness was the fatigue that set in towards the end.

Ogion

#119 Post by Ogion » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Ah. yeah. Beligum was the better team, lol. Gotta love that fully blown Eurosnobbery. You're such a great example of what I was talking about.

They were so much better that they surrendered 9 shots on goal and needed a record setting performance from Courtois not to give up a tying goal. Yeah, super dominant. In fact, they were even MORE dominant over Brazil than the U.S. was over Belgium in the last world cup. hahahahaha! They were sooooo much better, they couldn't get out of their own half in the second half of the game except by hoofing it to Lukaku who would run to the corner and lose the ball over and over.

The Brazilian defense didn't give up two goals to Tunisia and Japan. Belgium's major weakness is that they are more lucky than good.

Back in reality land, Belgium was held to three shots on goal the entire match and yes, relied on a fluky bounce off Fernandinho's shoulder.

See what I mean? Europeans are such homers because they automatically believe any European team is superior to any team from anywhere else.

I'll let you figure out where THAT attitude comes from

Octavious

#120 Post by Octavious » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 pm

:eyeroll: I hope peterlund is taking notes on what a rampant pro-European I am