World Cup

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: World Cup

#81 Post by rdrivera2005 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:13 am

I think the semis will be France (Uruguai will miss Cavani) x Brasil (I am a big Tite fan) and Croatia (far better then Russia) x Sweden (I really liked that Peter comment about over inflated egos).

Octavious

#82 Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 am

We'll find out soon enough. I am curious about the over inflated egos comment. What's that based on?

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#83 Post by RoganJosh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Kingdroid wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:23 am
That literally isn't what I said at all. Argentina was a disappointment, for sure, but that's exactly the point. They made it to the knockouts as a disappointment, which means that they were expected to play better and have in the past.
It is exactly what you said. Argentina almost went out in the qualifiers. They were a disappointment only because they're not the Argentina of four years ago, which is what people for some reason expected. But they have been a dysfunctional team for a long time now. It was hardly a surprise that they didn't perform well.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#84 Post by peterlund » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 am
I am curious about the over inflated egos comment. What's that based on?
You lost your empire but you still believe you rule the world.
You invented the steam engine, but you have no engineers left.
You created the Mini but sold it to the German BMW.
You are leaving the Union and think you still can tell the rest of us what to do.
You invented the game of tennis but your best player is ranked 17.
You invented the game of football and still believe you are the best.

Octavious

#85 Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:24 pm

Ah, I see. Prejudice and ignorance. You learn to expect that from you, Peter, but I imagine rdrivera wasn't on quite the same petty jingoistic wavelength ;)

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#86 Post by peterlund » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Are you claiming that any of my 6 statements are false? Which one it that case? If you cannot say that any one of those are false, then who is the jingoistic person here?

Octavious

#87 Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:03 pm

All of those statements are false, Peter. Not only are you showing astonishing ignorance of the UK, but you're also showing ignorance of the rest of the world. You are the Donald Trump of the European Union.

Octavious

#88 Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Well, with the possible exception of the one about the Mini... but I'm struggling to understand why that counts as a criticism.

Kingdroid

#89 Post by Kingdroid » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 pm

RoganJosh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:31 pm
Kingdroid wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:23 am
That literally isn't what I said at all. Argentina was a disappointment, for sure, but that's exactly the point. They made it to the knockouts as a disappointment, which means that they were expected to play better and have in the past.
It is exactly what you said. Argentina almost went out in the qualifiers. They were a disappointment only because they're not the Argentina of four years ago, which is what people for some reason expected. But they have been a dysfunctional team for a long time now. It was hardly a surprise that they didn't perform well.
Sure, theyve been dysfunctional, but that doesn't really change that they performed well in the round of 16, and that their side of the bracket was much stronger. If they had dropped to England's side of the bracket and played like they did vs France they would've beat most of the teams with the exception of maybe Croatia.

But, I wasn't even specifically talking about Argentina. I was talking about the general strength of the brackets, which doesn't really change anything about what I said. The lower side of the bracket is weak as fuck.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#90 Post by RoganJosh » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am

I just pointed out, using the most blatant example, that your notion of "strength" has nothing to do with team performance in the group stage or qualifiers. It's solely based on which countries you consider to be "strong" for historical reasons.

Kingdroid

#91 Post by Kingdroid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm

RoganJosh wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am
I just pointed out, using the most blatant example, that your notion of "strength" has nothing to do with team performance in the group stage or qualifiers. It's solely based on which countries you consider to be "strong" for historical reasons.
Using the only example. And, as I pointed out, Argentina proved my assumptions about strength are correct in the Round of 16 matches. The way they played against France would have secured them a victory against virtually any team except maybe Croatia on the other side of the bracket.

My notion of strength is not based on historical strength, but on strength of lineup and actually watching the games, which I suspect you might not have.

brainbomb

#92 Post by brainbomb » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Alright well I really thought it would be Brazil and Uruguay. today has pretty much stunned me

brainbomb

#93 Post by brainbomb » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 pm

I never get why everyone hates England in the WC. I am really conflicted because I love Sweden and England both.

I sort of think England will win because this feels like theyll be in the finals. but I have been wrong about alot so, dont take my guesses seriously

Octavious

#94 Post by Octavious » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Brazil are a decent squad, but they've looked vulnerable in defence all tournament. In the end Belgium had the better team, although they looked more fatigued in the last 20 minutes than I was expecting. I thought Brazil should have had a penalty earlier, but that's football for you.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#95 Post by peterlund » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:08 pm

France win against Uruguay was no big surprise since Uruguay was missing Cavani their offensive star. France also had Mbappé!

Belgium against Brazil was a much less certain story. Belgium was lucky when Brazil put the ball in to their own goal.

Ezio

#96 Post by Ezio » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Let's go Sweden!

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#97 Post by peterlund » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:32 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 pm
I never get why everyone hates England in the WC.
"Hate" might be the wrong word, "pity them" is more accurate. :)

Well I can tell you. In previous World cups the English players and team representatives together with the English press have showed up a pretty cocky and arrogant attitude about the qualities of the English team. And then after a while when they as usual not has become the world champs, they are normally raging and the manager has to leave his position.

But to be a bit honest, this year it sounds a bit different. They sound or at least try to sound a bit more humble. And at least before final play started in Russia the English press was not expecting any wonders from their team. And for once, they talk about a team spirit, that they have built a proper team, not relying just on some few fix stars.
Last edited by peterlund on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#98 Post by peterlund » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:32 pm

-

Kingdroid

#99 Post by Kingdroid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm

Belgian got a bit lucky, but their defense was much improved from the Japan game. Eden Hazard was also playing incredibly. The only way Brazil were able to taker the ball from him was by fouling him repeatedly.

I, personally, don't think it was a penalty, and I agree with the ref's decision. Kompany was a bit dumb to go to the ground, but literally any tackle would've resulted in the ball going out of bounds there.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#100 Post by RoganJosh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:02 am

Kingdroid wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm
The way they played against France would have secured them a victory against virtually any team except maybe Croatia on the other side of the bracket.
No. You vastly underestimate the quality of the teams in the other bracket.

And it seems to me like you underestimate them because you have a strong disdain towards "small" football countries.

Nice that you had to add an insult at the end. I take it that you're to proud to ever admit that you're wrong. #WeakAsFuck