The mass exodus

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

The mass exodus

#1 Post by ssorenn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 pm

It seems many of the top player that were here , have left for some reason or another. Can anyone explain why this is?

Forget trying to get a good game going. Nearly impossible now, except maybe for gunboat.

Seems that more players doesn’t make up for better players. Just saying.

Could the possibly be a flaw in direction?

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: The mass exodus

#2 Post by ssorenn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:03 am

None of the wise CRACKERS, have anything to say??

ziran

#3 Post by ziran » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 am

who you callin' cracka?

Your Humble Narrator

#4 Post by Your Humble Narrator » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 am

I left years ago when life came down on me like a pile of bricks and WebDip figured as one of the more disposable of the many things overwhelming me at that time. I stayed away out of embarrassment for having messed up at least one League game by going CD, plus I was so busy that I knew I’d end up screwing myself and others over if I tried to fit WebDip back into my routine. I decided to come back this week as I feel like I’m in a good place to handle it, plus I really missed many of you guys. Looking around the forum for familiar names, I feel very sad about how things have changed. All good things must end, I know, but I hope that maybe WebDip will experience a revitalization. Or maybe my first impression is wrong, and nothing needs to be revitalized at all.

Wusti

#5 Post by Wusti » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:21 am

Mate you came back in the middle of a tournament where people have up to 7 games going, and complain you can't get a game?

The world doesn't revolve around you fella!

I'm up for a press game though - haven't played one in a while

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by ssorenn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Your Humble Narrator wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 am
I left years ago when life came down on me like a pile of bricks and WebDip figured as one of the more disposable of the many things overwhelming me at that time. I stayed away out of embarrassment for having messed up at least one League game by going CD, plus I was so busy that I knew I’d end up screwing myself and others over if I tried to fit WebDip back into my routine. I decided to come back this week as I feel like I’m in a good place to handle it, plus I really missed many of you guys. Looking around the forum for familiar names, I feel very sad about how things have changed. All good things must end, I know, but I hope that maybe WebDip will experience a revitalization. Or maybe my first impression is wrong, and nothing needs to be revitalized at all.
GlAd you are well. Lots of old timers have gone for many reason. Some for the same as you and most others because of policies of........ still, it’s tremendously difficult to get games going, except for gunboat.

Durga

#7 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Eh. I agree with ssorenn here. Just look at the quality of players in the world cup finals, it's abysmal.

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#8 Post by swordsman3003 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Instead of complaining, why not take action and get a good press game going? What constitutes a good game, in your mind?

I've been thinking about some cool ideas to get a high-quality league going:
* a game where we record and send video messages instead of text ones
* a game where the players are required to keep notes every turn that will be published at the end of the match
* a game where we bet real money, dividing the pot according to draw-size scoring.

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by swordsman3003 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Also, I got knocked out of the gunboat tournament so I'm available for a good press game, if you think playing with me would make a good game.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by ssorenn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I have no issue with playing for money. Sounds fun. As far as video goes. Nah, don’t want to see any of your ugly mugs. EoG is fine, but I’m not keeping notes. It’s like homework. I’m way past that. That’s for my kids :)

Durga

#11 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 pm

You can't play diplomacy for money.

Also, I've tried to get numerous games going on this website. I even started that mentorship program in hopes we'd find/train good players. There is no lack of trying on my part.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by ssorenn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Durga wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 pm
You can't play diplomacy for money.

Also, I've tried to get numerous games going on this website. I even started that mentorship program in hopes we'd find/train good players. There is no lack of trying on my part.
1. Why not?

2. I’ve noticed. Kudos to you.

3. Maybe we can get a good game from this thread :)

Durga

#13 Post by Durga » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:42 pm

People would just conspire to split the pot and meta to throw it to someone.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#14 Post by ssorenn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Durga wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:42 pm
People would just conspire to split the pot and meta to throw it to someone.
kinda like now?

peterwiggin
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by peterwiggin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Playing for money on webdip is a really really bad idea.

1. We don't have the infrastructure to securely handle and disburse prize money.
2. Cheating accusations and investigations are already emotional enough. The investigations are handled by a team of volunteers. As a former mod, I would have hated the responsibility of there being money on the line instead of just fun and fake internet points.
3. Somebody collected money for a tournament a while ago and absconded with it. We've had no real recourse.

thdfrance

#16 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:19 pm

I actually am back on the site for the first time in a few years myself. I was never particularly great at Diplomacy, never good enough to hang with the best players. But I do miss the Mafia games. Not sure how I feel about the new forum though...

thdfrance

#17 Post by thdfrance » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:20 pm

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#18 Post by ssorenn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 pm

peterwiggin wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:09 pm

1. We don't have the infrastructure to securely handle and disburse prize money.
2. Cheating accusations and investigations are already emotional enough. The investigations are handled by a team of volunteers. As a former mod, I would have hated the responsibility of there being money on the line instead of just fun and fake internet points.
3. Somebody collected money for a tournament a while ago and absconded with it. We've had no real recourse.
while i understand your concern, moneys would be in an issue agreed upon through a private game, and the site would have no responsibility to it.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm

ssorenn wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 pm
peterwiggin wrote:

while i understand your concern, moneys would be in an issue agreed upon through a private game, and the site would have no responsibility to it.
Hasbro and Avalon Hill might have something to say about money being exchanged over their game that we are not permitted to profit on.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#20 Post by ssorenn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:48 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm
ssorenn wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 pm
peterwiggin wrote:

Hasbro and Avalon Hill might have something to say about money being exchanged over their game that we are not permitted to profit on.
They might have something to say about this website in general— worry about yourself Bo.