The mass exodus

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: The mass exodus

#141 Post by orathaic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:56 pm
<snip>
Speaking of technology, how did this affect us: https://blog.hootsuite.com/9-tips-to-cr ... y-website/

I know I've been talking about app development for many years now (and not actually doing it) but phone friendly Web-interface would be pretty awesome too.

The forum is what it is, but phone friendly it is not. I'd estimate about 1,500 dollar for a competent web developer to spend about a week putting together the minimum viable product for mobile friendly Web pages (excluding the forum, just game play pages, submitting the same forms so the back-end doesn't know of care whether you setup your game/sent you messages /orders from a desktop or a mobile...).

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#142 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 pm

orathaic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm
jmo1121109 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:56 pm
<snip>
Speaking of technology, how did this affect us: https://blog.hootsuite.com/9-tips-to-cr ... y-website/

I know I've been talking about app development for many years now (and not actually doing it) but phone friendly Web-interface would be pretty awesome too.

The forum is what it is, but phone friendly it is not. I'd estimate about 1,500 dollar for a competent web developer to spend about a week putting together the minimum viable product for mobile friendly Web pages (excluding the forum, just game play pages, submitting the same forms so the back-end doesn't know of care whether you setup your game/sent you messages /orders from a desktop or a mobile...).
Surprisingly, when I tested our website before this change went live with google's own mobile friendly testing site we passed with flying colors. I looked into what they rate on and it's speed of web loading, elements that fall outside test boundaries, and a few other rules which we have accommodated. That is in large part thanks to the mobile commit we had about a year ago to redo the main css to work smaller screen sizes.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#143 Post by orathaic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Cool, that is great to hear.

I have to say I'm slightly surprised. I don't find the mobile experience particularly friendly; but then I'm not a search engine, so I guess Google can't use the same variables I use.

Have you any knowledge of Progressive Web Apps? (like so: https://www.creativebloq.com/how-to/bui ... ve-web-app
)

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#144 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:39 am

Nope, app building is not my forte nor in my interest group. Kestas was planning on making an API that would allow an app to be built over Christmas but his work ended up keeping him from that and will for quite some time. And since I'm not a registered code reviewer on the github project and ATC is non-responsive lately and didn't get the chance to add the new variant he'd promised during the holidays either, so the only changes we can do are small things I'm pushing live without going through github because they are urgently needed, like rule changes to prevent serious tournament issues around anon or updating the links to the new GR site.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#145 Post by orathaic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm

PWAs seem to be some kind of magic inbetween a Web page and a native app, with some of the advantages and disadvantages of both...

Which might be just about inside of my ability to develop.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#146 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Ora, if you're interested, there is a node module called create-react-app which puts together most of the pieces in that article automatically so that you don't have to waste two days building the structure of a React program before you start coding. It's quite handy and I'm surprised that article doesn't mention it. I've only worked with it using Express, which can also serve as a back end framework, but I don't know how easily transferable this site's code would be in that setting. I also don't know much about mobile compatibility beyond basic design scaling so I'm not the person to talk to about the specifics of a mobile app, but generally speaking what you describe is very common.

https://github.com/facebook/create-react-app

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#147 Post by orathaic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Big buttons to make clicking them easier on a phone screen, better input system for selecting orders, I can think of a few mobile friendly UI changes... (quality of life improvements for phone users).

Not sure about react, as I hate learning frameworks; part of my problem as a unprofessional developer is that I love learning, and thus keep reinventing them wheel. But thanks for the pointer Bo, I will need to scope something very small to being with, and see what time I have to commit (and get my local server updated and up and running again...)

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#148 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 pm

If you know any Javascript, React is easy. If you don't, it's still not impossible, but the experience certainly won't be as clean without it. It's fundamentally different than what most are used to, though, so it takes some adjusting.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#149 Post by flash2015 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Though still a pre-requisite of any major client redesign is for webdip to have this API first. This allows you to render the HTML on the client rather than the server which is what pretty much all modern webapps do now. If the PWA is designed right...it should make it much easier to make it a native hybrid app later with frameworks like cordova (formerly phonegap - my company has an internal similar framework) to take advantage of native capabilities like local storage (so you don't need to download the webapp again and again and keep track of state), timers (e.g. set the app up to poll webdip for updates every X minutes then create local notifications of changes) and eventually push notifications (though that requires integration with Apple/Google on the server side):

https://cordova.apache.org/

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#150 Post by orathaic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 pm

@flash, yes it would require some changes... But that is what my local version of webdip is for.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#151 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 am

I've been looking at games, joinable & new. I've survived the Christmas/New Year penalty Tiffany's style to The Most Beautiful Fire Breathing MemSahib, Her Imperiousness Indoors for joining a game before Christmas/New Year after my October dummy spit. That was The Most Beautiful Fire Breathing MemSahib, Her Imperiousness Indoors' prediction in October, "you'll be back before Christmas you daffy old goat ......(more sweet endearments from her lethaly dangerous loving tongue)

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#152 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:58 am

In other news my light blue Mercedes Panzer Benz saloon is getting a new automatic gearbox

MajorMitchell

#153 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Is not so easy to get a game perhaps ? Very few joinable games, I got 14 points in a draw in a grubby gunboat live game after taking on a 2sc Russia last night. Out of a choice of two games. There's only one game joinable tonight & it's paused and a dud 1sc country.
New games.seem to be dominated by an ODC comp & so far I've resisted having a crack at the invite code & will continue to be good in that regard. Joined one game that failed to get enough players. How about an option for start with less than the full number of players as a game set up option ? High risk for players

MajorMitchell

#154 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 pm

A live game I set up earlier just timed out with not enough players.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#155 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:31 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 pm
A live game I set up earlier just timed out with not enough players.
Here's one for tonight. http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=237615 I also started another one for midday today. http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=237584

MajorMitchell

#156 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:36 pm

I think I saw them, one starts at 2am my local time

MajorMitchell

#157 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:37 pm

PS, has ssssorrennn left while I was away ? Just asking.

MajorMitchell

#158 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

I was right one does start at 2 am but the other is noonish tomorrow, so thanks for the link.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#159 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:46 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm
I was right one does start at 2 am but the other is noonish tomorrow, so thanks for the link.
I hope one works for you. I start live games 3-5 times a week, and most of them get enough people, though nmr's can be an issue.

MajorMitchell

#160 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks again NEFS, I just looked again, this morning at that noon game, it's got six players so you will definitely get your 7th. I'm going to be busy today, eagerly serving the quite reasonable whims & demands of The Most Beautiful Fire Breathing MemSahib, Her Imperiousness Indoors as well as go for a bicycle ride to the auto parts place & then engage in consultation with a mechanic etc etc.
Plus it's DSS not SoS and twenty five points, good gosh man, twenty five points, you young scallywags treat points as if there was a free inexhaustible supply. When I were a lad, a point was valued, respected, revered, and the amount of work we had to do at coal pit or down coal mine just to earn a point, why it twas backbreaking toil for days. I remember Foxy Newton once licked road clean with tongue just to be shown a point. But these gimcrack modern devices with their apps and Ubers have produced a generation who treat points like confetti at a wedding.
Twenty five points... On one game. When Omnipotent Zultar was a lad, why he lived on just twenty points for years when he were a penniless University student.