God is dead

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
eturnage
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: God is dead

#41 Post by eturnage » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Ogion wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm
Love is a pretty standard primate instinct among social species. Certainly, romantic love has a lot to do with child rearing, but conscience is a result of that same primate biology, as is god, for that matter.
gods of course die when we don't have use for them and discard them. You can tell because gods are always coming and going. So many gods, all of them conveniently echoing what those pushing them want to see.
I think you're greatly underestimating the power of love. It is not just a mere emotion that you feel. Rather, love spans its own existence. You like all human beings are mostly trapped by our own egos. Everything revolves around our selves or id.

My hypothesis, which you have never refuted, is that love, i.e., God, exists on its own unseen plane (from a metaphysical perspective) and we, when we truly lose ourselves, occasionally get to taste its nature.

Sadly, most poor human beings, even those most zealously religious or atheistic among us, go through their mundane existences without ever glimpsing the beauty of the unseen world of love.

ubercacher16

#42 Post by ubercacher16 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 am

+1 eturnage!!!

Ogion

#43 Post by Ogion » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm

lol. Very poetic, but unfortunately complete claptrap. Typical of the mushyheaded nonsense that most religious people spew. And you wonder why people point and laugh?

Ogion

#44 Post by Ogion » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm

my hypothesis, never refuted is that eturnage is a collective of fruiyt flies infesting an overripe mango

Canada 2

#45 Post by Canada 2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Namejeff bro what a guy

Tanteno

#46 Post by Tanteno » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 pm

ubercacher16 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Tanteno wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 pm
they've all done some fucked up shit, even Yahweh/Jesus/Allah.
What fucked up shit did Jesus do exactly? Do you even know what you're talking about?
Jesus and god and the holy spirit all are part of the trinity, they are one god. Thus Jesus is also Yahweh is also Allah. Yahweh sent a flood to destroy all of creation, because he didn't like it. Yahweh sent the angel of death to kill Egyptian children during the Exodus. Thus Jesus murdered or had someone murder billions of innocent lives.

Tanteno

#47 Post by Tanteno » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 pm

eturnage wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 pm
peterlund wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:55 pm
Love is basic sexual instinct needed for the survival of the human spieces.

God has nothing at all to do with love.
How do you know this? I could as easily postulate that love is the very essence of the unseen world. The glue that holds everything together. From this viewpoint, God is everywhere around us and in everything that exists.
You could also easily postulate that love is a disease that makes people do stupid things and act selfishly for the betterment of them selves and their "loved ones". Making their actions detrimental to the groups survival.

It's not, but you could postulate it.

ubercacher16 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:30 pm
You really honestly believe that we evolved emotion? You think we have a sense of right and wrong because it's in our DNA?
Emotions like fear save us from danger. Emotions like love make us want to mate. It is hardwired into people to care for babies. Why not have morality at least a little bit coded into our dna?

Bob Genghiskhan

#48 Post by Bob Genghiskhan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:50 am

"The implication seems to be that atheists (i.e. not "those folks") would not resort to violent tactics, which history of the Soviet Union, particularly during the 1930s, would directly contradict."

I mean, the Soviet Union in the 30's had a state religion. There was no god but the dialectic, and Lenin and Stalin were its prophets. As to the topic as a whole, I have no idea how anyone could make a definitive statement one way or another, as it seems to me the whole idea of God is pretty much orthogonal to empiric confirmation altogether. Believe if it gives you comfort, don't believe if that gives you comfort. Most of all, don't be a dick.

Crazy Anglican

#49 Post by Crazy Anglican » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:05 am

Hmmm, was hoping for a discussion about Nieztche? Ah well.... have fun all.

Bob Genghiskhan

#50 Post by Bob Genghiskhan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 am

Why? I mean, I assume we mostly aren't bright 16 year olds convinced we are the reason for human existence any more, and have thus mostly moved past our Nietzsche phases.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#51 Post by TrPrado » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 am

You're right, now I'm a 20 year old convinced I am the reason for human existence anymore.

CroakandDagger

#52 Post by CroakandDagger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:49 am

Tried that, CA. People weren't biting.

phil_a_s

#53 Post by phil_a_s » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 am

Even people who do like discussing Nietzsche rarely elect to discuss his work with a fascist. People who enjoy Nietzsche and are not fascists tend to be pretty angry at the way fascists abuse his writing, and don't really want to grant their readings the legitimacy of a discussion.
Also you never actually even mentioned Nietzsche in this thread. You just spewed some nonsense that used the same words as translations of his work, took a nonsense conclusion that omits Nietzsche's actual views (because you're a fascist and the conclusions of his work are not actually flattering to your kind) and then went full fascist.

I am not exactly a fan of Nietzsche, I think his obsession with the individual is wrong, and his power stuff is pretty dodgy (there is, after all, a reason the Nazis picked his ideas to distort).

CroakandDagger

#54 Post by CroakandDagger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 am

I'm not a fascist.

Goronman

#55 Post by Goronman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 am

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little shit? Ill have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Ive been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and Im the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. Youre fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and thats just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little clever comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldnt, you didnt, and now youre paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. Youre fucking dead, kiddo.

phil_a_s

#56 Post by phil_a_s » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 am

Maybe this belongs in the politics subforum, but you are very much a fascist, as evidenced by any cross-section of your posting history. One of the more obvious bits of evidence, however, would be this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=723&p=21604

I'm sure that's a joke. It always is with fascists. So in case that's not enough, you believe millions of (according to the people whose conspiracy theory you parrot, Hispanic) people in the US voted illegally (there is literally no evidence of this, despite how hard you'd think a conspiracy involving millions of people tampering with elections would be to hide), support Tommy Robinson (a fascist who got in trouble for violating the terms of his suspended sentence, by doing the same illegal thing that earned him his suspended sentence), you approve of anti-Semitic and racist (aka fascist) conspiracy theories about Soros, you wrote the following were the "responsibility of a legitimate government":
"Maintaining the rule of law,
Ensuring the nation's military security,
Securing national economic prosperity,
Safeguarding their people's ancient culture,
Even using their influence to bring the world more in line with their beliefs."

These were all found in the first 3 pages of your posting history. I expect it is a representative sample.

I understand that the politics subforum is not heavily moderated. I think this is a mistake that harms both the site and the politics subforum, but that's really up to the mods. That said, I'm quite sure that CroakandDagger routinely and clearly violates rule 5 of the politics subforum, as vague as it is.
CroakandDagger is mostly active in the politics subforum, but not only there. In the rather short time since I've been back, I have seen CroakandDagger levy a sexist attack against Durga in the main forums and post Islamophobic nonsense in this very thread, both of which are also against the rules.
Is there a reason CroakandDagger is not banned (from the forum if not the site)?

CroakandDagger

#57 Post by CroakandDagger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 am

phil_a_s wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 am
Maybe this belongs in the politics subforum, but you are very much a fascist, as evidenced by any cross-section of your posting history. One of the more obvious bits of evidence, however, would be this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=723&p=21604

I'm sure that's a joke. It always is with fascists.
It is. It's quite obviously a joke. I am quite clearly mocking another topic that claims "Fascism" has anything to do with modern democratic governments.

It's not my fault you have no sense of humour.
phil_a_s wrote:
So in case that's not enough, you believe millions of (...) people in the US voted illegally
Yes, I do.
phil_a_s wrote:
(there is literally no evidence of this, despite how hard you'd think a conspiracy involving millions of people tampering with elections would be to hide)
You'd think hiding millions of people who are illegaly in the country would be hard to do as well, but here we are. There are no serious ID checks associated with voting in American elections, and in states where voter fraud is clamped down upon it has changed the results of elections.
phil_a_s wrote:
...support Tommy Robinson (a fascist who got in trouble for violating the terms of his suspended sentence, by doing the same illegal thing that earned him his suspended sentence)...
He did not violate the terms of his suspended sentence. He was very careful not to violate the terms of his suspended sentence. He has been locked away on trumped up charges and was denied legal counsel for his trial. You can pretend that's not worrying if you like, but when a government starts locking up journalists on charges they pull out of their asses, I get concerned.

phil_a_s wrote:
...you approve of anti-Semitic and racist (aka fascist) conspiracy theories about Soros...
Racism and Fascism are not synonyms. Nobody with higher than room temperature IQ would believe something so ludicrous.
phil_a_s wrote:
you wrote the following were the "responsibility of a legitimate government":
"Maintaining the rule of law,
Ensuring the nation's military security,
Securing national economic prosperity,
Safeguarding their people's ancient culture,
Even using their influence to bring the world more in line with their beliefs."
This one is a misquote. I believe these were suggestions when I was asking people what was most important to them personally.
phil_a_s wrote:
These were all found in the first 3 pages of your posting history. I expect it is a representative sample.
A selection cherrypicked by someone determined to demonise me is a representative sample, is it? Alright.
phil_a_s wrote:
I understand that the politics subforum is not heavily moderated. I think this is a mistake that harms both the site and the politics subforum, but that's really up to the mods. That said, I'm quite sure that CroakandDagger routinely and clearly violates rule 5 of the politics subforum, as vague as it is.
CroakandDagger is mostly active in the politics subforum, but not only there. In the rather short time since I've been back, I have seen CroakandDagger levy a sexist attack against Durga in the main forums and post Islamophobic nonsense in this very thread, both of which are also against the rules.
Is there a reason CroakandDagger is not banned (from the forum if not the site)?
I never made a sexist attack like you claim, and I think you'll find that I condemned Peterlund's islamophobia in this thread, thank you very much.

phil_a_s

#58 Post by phil_a_s » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am

God talking to fascists is exhausting.
Endorsing fascism is not a joke when a fascist does it.
The reason election results change when voting is restricted with, say, strict ID laws is that those laws depress political participation of people who have a right to vote, but don't have that particular form of ID.
Tommy Robinson is not a journalist. He runs a fascist political party. He decided to attend attend and disrupt two trials for political purposes. That is not journalism.
It is not racism that is fascist, it a particular combination of anti-Semitism and racism, where someone says that "Jews" or perhaps a particular Jew (in this case, Soros) is trying to destroy Aryans/The White Race/Western Civilization by importing racially impure people, that is fascist.
When you "start a debate" and set as your starting terms a certain set of views, you are endorsing those views.
The posts I read were (probably) a representative sample. Obviously, when attempting to demonstrate that you are a fascist, I will not be using all your posts, only the ones where you promote, endorse, or defend fascism. Kind of like how if I were trying to demonstrate that you like cake, I would not include posts which are not about cake.

You said that Durga was trying to use her gender to get preferential treatment from the mods. Standard Gamergater nonsense really.
You made a transparently Islamophobic comment early in this thread.

CroakandDagger

#59 Post by CroakandDagger » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:17 am

phil_a_s wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am
God talking to fascists is exhausting.
Yes, talking to you is draining, but i'll persevere.
phil_a_s wrote:
Endorsing fascism is not a joke when a fascist does it.
I am not a fascist.
phil_a_s wrote:
The reason election results change when voting is restricted with, say, strict ID laws is that those laws depress political participation of people who have a right to vote, but don't have that particular form of ID.
Are you admitting that a certain party's voters tend not to have ID? I would have assumed those fringe demographics who are citizens but do not have it would be spread evenly across parties and not affect the result of an election.
phil_a_s wrote:
Tommy Robinson is not a journalist. He runs a fascist political party. He decided to attend attend and disrupt two trials for political purposes. That is not journalism.
Tommy Robinson is a journalist. He does not run a fascist political party. He reported on two trials without disrupting them. That is journalism.

phil_a_s wrote:
It is not racism that is fascist, it a particular combination of anti-Semitism and racism, where someone says that "Jews" or perhaps a particular Jew (in this case, Soros) is trying to destroy Aryans/The White Race/Western Civilization by importing racially impure people, that is fascist.
False. Fascism is a political belief centred around the militarisation of the state. That you don't even know what it is sort of undermines you trying to pin the label to me.

- oh, and commenting on a greedy corporatist banker's attempts to destroy cultures he personally dislikes is not anti-semitism.
phil_a_s wrote:
When you "start a debate" and set as your starting terms a certain set of views, you are endorsing those views.
False. It is possible to mention something and not agree with it.

For example: Some people claim Communism can feed its people in states where it is implemented.
phil_a_s wrote:
The posts I read were (probably) a representative sample. Obviously, when attempting to demonstrate that you are a fascist, I will not be using all your posts, only the ones where you promote, endorse, or defend fascism. Kind of like how if I were trying to demonstrate that you like cake, I would not include posts which are not about cake.
And yet you failed to find a single post where I promote, endorse or defend fascism. Funny that.
phil_a_s wrote:
You said that Durga was trying to use her gender to get preferential treatment from the mods.
False. I suggested that she bribed the staff and whined until she was given preferential treatment. I also suggested that the staff were more inclined to give her preferential treatment because of her gender.
phil_a_s wrote:
Standard Gamergater nonsense really.
False. corruption on a website where people play diplomacy has nothing to do with ethics in games journalism.
phil_a_s wrote:
You made a transparently Islamophobic comment early in this thread.
False. I condemned Peterlund's Islamophobia early in this thread.

eturnage
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#60 Post by eturnage » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:39 am

Ogion wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm
lol. Very poetic, but unfortunately complete claptrap. Typical of the mushyheaded nonsense that most religious people spew. And you wonder why people point and laugh?
I feel sorry for people who believe poetry is claptrap. Hmmm, can fruities surrounded by fruit flies have complicated empathetic feelings for ego maniacal dogmatist ?