[Android] Conspiracy App

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Enriador

[Android] Conspiracy App

#1 Post by Enriador » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:17 am

Ever heard of Conspiracy? It's an excellent app, a solid 9/10. Only problem is the huge number of newbies who never heard of Diplomacy before.

Let's make a private game over there? Post your character nicknames here so I can add you as contacts in-app and send the invites!

jwoelmer2

Re: [Android] Conspiracy App

#2 Post by jwoelmer2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:49 am

It's a fun app with lots of newbies. My only complaint is the lack of a concede option. It makes 2-way draws so much riskier. But then again, that's probably how the game is meant to be played.

Mercy

#3 Post by Mercy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Conspiracy is a wonderful app. My only complaints are that it uses PPSC scoring to determine ranking and that metagaming is allowed and even encouraged (you can invite friends in public games).

That last thing lead to an interesting experience when I played a live game sometime in the past.
The game I joined was created by a group of three friends who had decided beforehand that they would eliminate everyone else and then draw, but I didn't know this. I quickly noticed, though, that they were allied and that their unusual alliance was quite scary. So I created a chat with all the other players in the game, warning them for the triple alliance and suggesting that we should work together to stop them. One of the responses I got was along the lines of: 'I russian. i not speak good english. i not understand.'' Needless to say, I lost that game. Luckily, one of the drawers was kind enough to explain to me how the game should be played. 'I used to play solo like you and I always lost. But now that I only join games with my friends, I always win. It works great.'

It is clear that a lot of programming effort went into creating Conspiracy. That is why it is such a pity that the game is ruined by a few simple things. There is so much lost potential.

yavuzovic

#4 Post by yavuzovic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:47 am

It's on my wishlist but I didn't play it yet. Are there any difference between diplomacy and conspiracy?

Mercy

#5 Post by Mercy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 am

Yes, the difference is that Diplomacy is a Winner-Takes-All game, and Conspiracy isn't. Other than that, the rules are the same.

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Conspiracy is a lot like webDip would be if we had a lot more members, a lot more games, and far fewer mods. Huge numbers of players there have no idea what they're doing, and it's so poorly explained that you can't blame them. Metagaming is rife, CDs more common than not, and silent players are in the majority.

Which is damned lucky in a way because their set up for live games is far superior to our own. If the app was run properly they would leave us in their dust as the best place to play diplomacy. As it stands, it's a bit crap.

What worries me is that far more people are getting their first taste of diplomacy there than here and PlayDip combined, and the taste ain't great.

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Oh, I have come across a Conspiracy player in a game over on Playdip. He was really rather good. Of the 400,000 or so Conspiracy members, I'd say 390,000 were a waste of space. Their top players, though... I think they could hold their own against the best over here.

Enriador

#8 Post by Enriador » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 pm

@Mercy

I totally agree with your arguments. Conspiracy has the best "looks" and their developers are a really nice bunch (though complete ignorants about Diplomacy as a hobby), but the lack of a decent reliability system kills most of the fun.

Where did you get that information about scoring system? It's so obscure.

@yavuzovic

Conspiracy is the same thing as Diplomacy, it just has a different name.

@Octavious

Good points. Among a sea of noobs, I met some really good players. They are not always available, hence why I created this thread: to join those among us who enjoy Conspiracy but wish for a serious game where all 7 players will play their best.

JECE

#9 Post by JECE » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks for bringing this app up. I didn't know about it.

I knew about Droidippy by Oort Cloud, which apparently has now been replaced by Diplicity. I set up a game with webDip users on Droidippy years ago.

Has anyone tried Diplicity?

nesdunk14

#10 Post by nesdunk14 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:17 am

I've used Diplicity occasionally, but it suffers from similar problems, low reliability, poor play, and a strange rating system.

Mercy

#11 Post by Mercy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 am

Octavious wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:06 pm
Oh, I have come across a Conspiracy player in a game over on Playdip. He was really rather good. Of the 400,000 or so Conspiracy members, I'd say 390,000 were a waste of space. Their top players, though... I think they could hold their own against the best over here.
Definitely. I once played with another top 100 player on Conspiracy, and he was really rather good as well.
Enriador wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 pm
@Mercy

I totally agree with your arguments. Conspiracy has the best "looks" and their developers are a really nice bunch (though complete ignorants about Diplomacy as a hobby), but the lack of a decent reliability system kills most of the fun.

Where did you get that information about scoring system? It's so obscure.
I don't have much to complain about the reliability system that Conspiracy uses. If your reliability is low, then you can't join games with people with a high reliability. It is just that the developers of Conspiracy might reconsider their definition of what it means to have a 'high' reliability.

I got that information about the scoring system just by googling, but here you have it: http://badfrog.info/conspiracy/en/english_faq/
As a sidenote, the scoring system is even more terrible than PPSC here used to be. If you win, the amount of supply centers you own at the end of the game matters too; so if you win with 18 supply centers, you are considered to have a worse result than if you win with 20 supply centers. If everyone in the game you play in is of a way lower ranking than you are, and you win with not much more than 18 supply centers, then you could loose ranking.

Enriador

#12 Post by Enriador » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm

The reliability system does suck; it merely divides players with 60% reliability or more from those with 59% or less.

1) A player with 60% reliability (plays 6 moves out of 10) is a terribly unreliable player, yet they get the same status as a 100% reliable player such as myself.

2) In a single completed game you can get 80%+ reliability, which kills the point of the entire system anyway.

Never noticed the FAQ in the website, it's obscure too - they ought to improve it. Just now noticed I wasn't given credit for translating the app into Brazilian Portuguese. =(