Does reliability rating make a difference??

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Dugrath

Does reliability rating make a difference??

#1 Post by Dugrath » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Good Morning everyone,

I have a question, I came over from the conspiracy app to this we based version and do enjoy it quite a bit. My only issue at the present moment is, well everyone's a pouty child quitting the match because they are losing. We have had 4 civil disorders in a row with 1-2 rounds that actually went through. I mean it's really obnoxious and annoying to wait and wait and wait. It makes me never want to set delays for a game ever again either. I thought I was doing a courtesy for everyone with that.

Does it really get any better with reliability, or do people still quit because if their losing they don't want it to effect there score? That was perhaps something nice about the app system. If the person quit, the season went on without them. The country that quit was just set to auto defend. Not a great (game system) but it's like penalizing those who quit.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely, a frustrated Dugrath.

JeffRosenberg

Re: Does reliability rating make a difference??

#2 Post by JeffRosenberg » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm

YMMV, but I've found WebDip to be quite superior to other sites in that regard. My recent games have had few (but not zero) civil disorders.

For me, the system of having a power auto-defend when its player abandons it is far inferior -- it's what drove me to leave Backstabbr and come here. Admittedly, it may move the game along faster. But it radically increases the prospects of the neighbors of auto-defending powers, who know they can count on the exact moves that will be issued for that power.

In the particular game that led me to leave Backstabbr, I was Italy and both Austria and Turkey went into civil disorder. Unsurprisingly, I cleaned up, but it was a hollow victory as it required no skill whatsoever.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#3 Post by RoganJosh » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:55 pm

I would go for games with higher stakes if I were you. Maybe 20, 25, or 50 point bets. At least for gunboat games, those are usually ok.

If you have less than 100 points, then you'll be refunded the points if you lose the game, so no risk of running out of points.

Minister of Silly Walks

#4 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm

JeffRosenberg wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm
YMMV, but I've found WebDip to be quite superior to other sites in that regard. My recent games have had few (but not zero) civil disorders.

For me, the system of having a power auto-defend when its player abandons it is far inferior -- it's what drove me to leave Backstabbr and come here. Admittedly, it may move the game along faster. But it radically increases the prospects of the neighbors of auto-defending powers, who know they can count on the exact moves that will be issued for that power.

In the particular game that led me to leave Backstabbr, I was Italy and both Austria and Turkey went into civil disorder. Unsurprisingly, I cleaned up, but it was a hollow victory as it required no skill whatsoever.
This reminds me of an old (~1975) article about postal diplomacy: "Russia wins the most not because they are the strongest, but because they have the most neighbors from whose civil disorders they can profit".

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by Doug7878 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:18 pm

Yes, high reliability rating (89+ maybe) makes a difference if you can also require a minimum number of games played. To add this requirement, you would have to set up a private game and advertise it on the forum under New Games.

Dugrath

#6 Post by Dugrath » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:46 pm

I can understand the hollow victory feel, it wouldn't feel the same. As well as not being able to rely on your support if that's what you were planning initially. I didn't know backstabbr had that system as well. Truth be told I didn't play that long on the app, because I wanted the player base of here.

Good point on higher stakes, my first game (5) is in a pause still for cheating players, and my game I'm talking about I created with a 15 bet each.

The minimum number of games I feel is a good idea too, but then like me I've only started on here, but I take the game more serious because if I ruin it, it's ruined for everyone. I'll have to rely on reliability for awhile and hopefully that helps.

I appreciate the feedback.

AGuy27

#7 Post by AGuy27 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:25 pm

Doug7878 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:18 pm
Yes, high reliability rating (89+ maybe) makes a difference if you can also require a minimum number of games played. To add this requirement, you would have to set up a private game and advertise it on the forum under New Games.
89+ is far too high, you'd be surprised how easily a reliability rating can go from 90% to 25%.

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#8 Post by Doug7878 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:50 pm

@AGuy27

Many of us here feel that CDs ruin games. In fact, it's not that unusual that a Solo results from a single missed phase by a single player (usually later in the game).

As a result, many of us consider it a personal obligation to enter orders in every phase of every game we agree to play. I missed a few phases more than a year ago, but now my RR is fully recovered. If you stop missing phases, your RR will rise steadily.

Good luck.