Witcher vs Mandalorian

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Witcher vs Mandalorian

#1 Post by brainbomb » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Comparing the two series'.
Which was more engaging, which had better world building, writing, acting, and themes throughout. Which will last longer and which is more likely to be cancelled after a shorter amount of time.

brainbomb

Re: Witcher vs Mandalorian

#2 Post by brainbomb » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 pm

I feel like the Mandalorian is pretty overrated. Its okay. The final episode felt like forced writing to the extreme. The reliance on baby yoda to draw in viewers by cute memes is a sign there is not much beneath the mask. Pedro Pascal did exceptional and the scripts were very interesting. It gave the story breathing room to expand and explore. But star wars cant resist adding the force, lightsabers and the empire. So of course it has to establish a main villain moving forward who embodies all of this.
I think the Mandalorian has not been able to create a universe that is confident it can survive without going deeper into nostalgia, fan service and adding rehashed stuff from the original series into it. itll be a big mess of just adding random crap pretty soon.

The witcher was not familiar to me. I watched it all. The nudity was at times a bit excessive. The characters are not grey, mostly everyone in this story is fucked up. Theres alot of stuff that happens in episodes that feels weird, and maybe its source material. The episode where he gets taken by elves made no sense. And was really poorly executed. I felt the whole episode was just set up to give the bard an excuse to make the iconic witcher song.
Then the queen of cirna is totally morally confused. nothing she stands for makes a lick of sense.
The magi are evil and most of their members are perverted degenerates.
the bad guys in the story from nilfgaurd or milfguard are caricature evils who have zero relateable goals or interests. essentially no one is good aligned in this world of the Witcher. everyone is depraved, mutated, viscious, power hungry and crazy.
Overall it was decent, but far less engaging than game of thrones, darker and grittier than mandalorian but id say it probably will outlast mandalorian due to an abundance of source material to work from, and it isnt bound by having to live up to as much hype as mandalorian.
The lead characters drive both shows and I think long term Cavill will probably be able to keep people interested longer since he isnt stuck under a helmet.

Donny Dude

#3 Post by Donny Dude » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 pm

It did not help that the Witcher was not in order chronologically.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:03 am

yea why on earth did they think it was necessary to be jumping randomly like that. and 3 decades passed but absolutely no one got any older at all from yennifers ascension to present

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#5 Post by TrPrado » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18 am

I was fine with jumping around in the Witcher. They had story to convey about characters and considering how these events were always going to happen in a certain chronological order the other option was putting all or most of a character's story at the front of the story which would've felt very lopsided. The only thing it really suffered from in my opinion was the individual stories feeling rushed due to the relatively short season in terms of number of episodes given how much they had to cover. I do also hope there are no more Dutch angles in future seasons, but both shows have great promise.

brainbomb

#6 Post by brainbomb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:07 am

TOSS A COIN TO YOUR WITCHER

Donny Dude

#7 Post by Donny Dude » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:24 am

O' Valley of Plenty