Hello Everyone!

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Notarius

Hello Everyone!

#1 Post by Notarius » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Not sure if this post belong here but it seemed the most fitting.

Hello, I'm new to the game of Diplomacy. I've only heard of it recently, but I was immediately hooked by the game's premise!

I'm a 24 year old International Affairs student, originally from NY, living in DC. Before starting college I was an electrical engineer in the US Navy where I discovered the subject of International Affairs. Beforehand I only knew of Political Science which is was already interested in. My first introduction to International Affairs came from Henry Kissinger's World Order one evening in my ship's "library". After that I began using my time at sea to read anything I could about the subject.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning the game and engaging with you all. Cheers!

Crazy Anglican

Re: Hello Everyone!

#2 Post by Crazy Anglican » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi, welcome!

KalelChase
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by KalelChase » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Welcome, rumor has it that Kissinger and JFK played Dip together. Imagine what a game that would have been.

Hope to play a game with you sometime soon.

Kitsune

#4 Post by Kitsune » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:55 pm

Notarius wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 pm
Not sure if this post belong here but it seemed the most fitting.

Hello, I'm new to the game of Diplomacy. I've only heard of it recently, but I was immediately hooked by the game's premise!

I'm a 24 year old International Affairs student, originally from NY, living in DC. Before starting college I was an electrical engineer in the US Navy where I discovered the subject of International Affairs. Beforehand I only knew of Political Science which is was already interested in. My first introduction to International Affairs came from Henry Kissinger's World Order one evening in my ship's "library". After that I began using my time at sea to read anything I could about the subject.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning the game and engaging with you all. Cheers!
Welcome Notarius!

Great to have you here and look forward to playing with you :)

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#5 Post by CommanderByron » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am

*proceeds to build fleet* you said you were in the navy eh? Well this here ship *slaps it like a used car* needs herself a captain, and I’m betting you need yourself some coin.

*realizes is Austria in this game*

*disbands fleet*

*Notarius attempts to get help from VA but ends up homeless #BecauseAmerica*

Sorry bro. Really thought I needed a fleet.Welcome to the site.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:22 am

Welcome to WebDiplomacy, I would diplomatically suggest that after a few games of Classic Diplomacy (7 players, traditional map based on original board game) you try a few games of the 17 nations/players variant game because global Sea power is a really important weapon/defense, not that I would disparage the opportunities of naval strategy and tactics in Classic Diplomacy.
Save your valuable WebDiplomacy points and set up one or two or more classic games that are unranked at a time to get experience & wait until your more experienced before trying the grotesque grubby gunboat games (no messaging).. play a dozen unranked games before risking points.. two/three at the same time.
The help.pages are good.
Click on other players home page.. spy on their previous games using archives function & maps to see how they win with Austria from the fist move map through each move. See what opening moves they play with Russia etc..
Enjoy, we need young whippersnappers joining us.