Abuse leads to tragedy

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Vaporwave

Abuse leads to tragedy

#1 Post by Vaporwave » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Don't touch Coca-Cola!

I'm posting this as someone that wants to warn others, because the situation is so tragic I wouldn't wish this upon any of my enemies.

Coke has ruined my teeth and I'm only 21! My teeth hurt EVEN WITHOUT DECAY! Yes, you read that correctly, the erosion of my teeth is complete, don't even need a decay.

I've had extensive work done, root canal treatment, fillings, all of it hurt and I had some teeth extracted. Imagine the huge costs :(

I can't point to anything else in my life that I've done wrong besides drinking fizzy beverages, I ate like a normal being, but I've abused some stuff: I ate peanuts weekly, ridged chips every 2-3 days and Coca-Cola/Pepsi daily (about 2L each day), this started when I was about 7-8. I drank water once in a blue moon.

Look at me now! Never had tooth problems but this year it exploded, one tooth after another, I think even if I were to do drugs, my teeth wouldn't look so bad

Don't do this to your kids, at least limit that Coke/Pepsi once a week, I wish I could turn back time..and drink water and never touch soda :sick:

Senlac

Re: Abuse leads to tragedy

#2 Post by Senlac » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Yep, all sadly predictable. My teeth are far from great, but I’ve made it to 61 & still have most of them:-)
My mum limited soda to Christmas only! Even stricter than your suggestion & I’m sure it helped delay deterioration. I worked in a brewery, that also bottled soda. After seeing the crap that it’s made with I’m glad I have rarely consumed it. Good luck with the dental work, never a pleasant experience.

e.m.c^42

#3 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:56 pm

F in the thread for Vapor's teeth, may they be one day revived.

I don't think it's even possible for me to drink that much soda lol

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#4 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:26 am

It's regrettable that Vaporwave's parents didn't provide a greater influence in warning him of the dangers of drinking acidic fizzy drinks. I'm lucky in that when I was a very young blighter my dear old Dad showed me how Coca~Cola cleaned up old copper pennies by putting them in a glass of Coke.
Professional wine tasters have a similar occupational hazard, the acidity in wines, particularly (I think) red wines has a similar effect on teeth.
Linked to this is the way commercial interests fight effective labelling laws.
I suppose it is also a matter of whether we support virtually​ completely​ unregulated Capitalism and the "caveat emptor"/ "let the buyer beware" philosophy and place virtually no responsibility on the seller to disclose relevant information.
For example, regarding the sale of buildings, houses, if a seller knows that a house they are selling was used as a "meth production lab" & is contaminated with dangerous chemical residues, should they inform all potential purchasers of the probable existing hazards ?
Do we hold to ethical standards that put the welfare of others ahead of personal gain & seek profits in highly ethical ways, or do we seek to maximise profits with scant regard for the welfare of others ?

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by Hellenic Riot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:48 am

Hmmm. I developed sugar sensitivity when I was about 15 which got progressively worse due to the amount of it I consumed, which made it agonising to touch the stuff for years. On the bright side, that forced a lot of habits out of me, and while I've had to have a lot of fillings (and I no longer have said sugar sensitivity), my teeth did recover.

Of course now I once more indulge myself, but not to anywhere near the level I used to, and regular dental checkups & dental hygienist appointments have kept away anything more drastic. I think they really matter more than what you actually consume at the end of the day - because they do have the ability to stop problems ahead of time nowadays... If caught early enough. Much as I hate the dentist (not least because I react to the anaesthetic and therefore have had six fillings done without any anaesthetic whatsoever...), I really can't justify skipping out on it ever again.

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:15 am

Fortunately I was blessed with responsible parents who introduced me to alcohol at an early age, letting me dunk my dummy in my Nan's brandy, and eating the cherry from Mum's cocktail. As a result I never really got a taste for coke.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by Hellenic Riot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh I drink plenty of alcohol, it's just that I drink amazingly sweet fruit ciders, or cocktails, and therefore they're just as bad