JMO's interview in Kaner's Podcast

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

JMO's interview in Kaner's Podcast

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 pm

I've listened to the eighty odd minute podcast featuring JMO's interview. I found it interesting although the technical stuff was a bit soporific on an old fuddy duddy (me). The greatest mysteries remain unanswered. For example, what is the hidden meaning in the numbers that form JMO's player name. More esoteric than the Da Vinci code, more difficult to crack than the Enigma code, seemingly more indecipherable than Trumptoad's rantings and more inscrutable than the Chinese leadership. Those dozen Cray Supercomputers that Omnipotent Zultar is reputed to have assigned to the task of cracking JMO's mysterious numbers whir away impotently.

Secondly, JMO was not asked to explain just how, in Ancient Mediterranean a Dipbro or DipSister sets up to & successfully convoys an army through the eye of a needle to capture The Promised Land.

Setting these obvious inadequacies on the interviewers' parts aside I would compliment JMO on his calm, kind and generous responses and his passion for the Diplomacy caper & the WebDiplomacy site and community.
I invite others to offer their critiques of this podcast.

e.m.c^42

Re: JMO's interview in Kaner's Podcast

#2 Post by e.m.c^42 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm

His regional accent :D

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by flash2015 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:28 am

MajorMitchell wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 pm
Secondly, JMO was not asked to explain just how, in Ancient Mediterranean a Dipbro or DipSister sets up to & successfully convoys an army through the eye of a needle to capture The Promised Land.
Obviously because the "eye of the needle" is a myth...

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by flash2015 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 am

Wait, my name is not in gold anymore! I liked my name in gold...

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:06 am

I'm not so sure about that flash2015. The "it's a myth" line is, I suspect, clever disinformation, it's purpose is to deter those seeking the answers. So far I have found out that the Needle is in fact, Cleopatra's Needle in Alexandria and it's well known that Moses started out for the Promised Land from Egypt.
I'm in a race to solve the puzzle, bloomin' Maniac might find the solution and be promoted from Acolyte of Omnipotent Zultar to an Almighty Mod before me. Every time I get to face the Grand High Inquisitors for examination to qualify as a Novice Almighty Mod I fail on this question & I'm not competent with explaining the fabled "Unwritten Law of WebDiplomacy" either.

MajorMitchell

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:12 am

When I do capture the Promised Land I won't try Julius Caesar's "Subjugate & Conquer" approach, I think there's more monetisation potential with a "Subdivide and Concrete" policy.

kaner406

#7 Post by kaner406 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 am

Hahaha! Amby's gonna love the title of this thread! LOL

The Ambassador

#8 Post by The Ambassador » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:04 am

Asshole.

VillageIdiot

#9 Post by VillageIdiot » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 am

Haha, ouch! No wonder we only get WebDip related content once or twice a year.

MajorMitchell

#10 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:28 pm

I offer Amby an unreserved apology for not mentioning him in the title of the thread. The reason is that my clockwork brain couldn't recall his nickname accurately.

The Ambassador

#11 Post by The Ambassador » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 pm

No offence taken MM ;-)

Addressing VillageIdiot’s point around a focus on webDip only once every 6 or 12 months, a lot of that has to do with sites like webDip generally speaking have a steady platform. Plenty of Classic games & a small set of solid variants, but aside from technical, functional & interface improvements (which we have highlighted now with interviews with zultar, kestas & jmo), I can’t see what more we can do beyond that time period.

If there are lots of other webDip stuff going on you’d like to highlight please let Kaner or I know so we can cover it.

The reality is our efforts to get face to face going locally and the regular variant releases at playDip & vDip tend to get more of a focus as there is often new things happening, which of course tends to then reflect what we talk about.

Hope to hear lots more from webDip folks about how we can cover this site off better. Let us know via DiplomacyGames.com or Twitter @DiplomacyGames

foodcoats

#12 Post by foodcoats » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:50 am

It was a great podcast, thank you to jmo for being interviewed and Kaner and Amby for doing the cast. (I listen to podcasts incessantly and I'm very happy to have something new and interesting for my ears!)

It was really interesting to hear about the work being done behind the scenes by jmo, bo_sox, Squiggs et al. This site is fantastic already and this cast really hyped me up for GRs and dark modes. It's also really cool that the dev team does all this work... being a volunteer takes a lot of time and I am sure I'm not the only one who really appreciates it.

Question for jmo if he comes around here: does the adoption of a click-based interface imply the removal of the menu-based interface? (Mehopes no, because of how easy it is to use the menu system on mobile.) Also, does it imply the ability to submit invalid orders? I do find it neat that you can submit blatantly incorrect orders on PlayDip for example (or at least, I believe you could a few years ago) and then claim an oopsie-poopsie.