Pet peeves

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
yavuzovic

Re: Pet peeves

#21 Post by yavuzovic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Dancing in the darkness for motion sensor, this is really annoying.

e.m.c^42

#22 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Huh.

Cannot recall a single thing currently that bothers me enough to be aggravating on its own, rather than being thought of as a conversation stimulant.

Shared misery does wonders in connecting people :D

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#23 Post by flash2015 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:01 pm
The existence of Belgium
Where would I get good chocolate from without Belgium though?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#24 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:34 am

Au contraire mes amis. What is zere not to like about a good Philosophy Balzac when faced with the difficulties of life ?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#25 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 pm

One of my many dislikes is the over use & misuse of the word "Sorry". Far too often "Sorry" is misused instead of "Excuse me" &/or "Pardon me" imho. Now one extremely useful piece of advice I offer to younger chaps reading this is, be extremely judicious and careful in using "Sorry" in conversation with your partners, particularly spouses.
Take my Lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib Her Serene Imperiousness Indoors lying on a sofa eating cakes (Please do take her, far away.. boom.boom).. it has long been my policy to only say "Sorry" to my Beautiful Fire Breathing MemSahib a maximum of three times per annum, when I really need it. It's rather like blasphemy, when people hear a blighter swearing constantly to the extent that it would make a sailor blush, the individual blasphemous words lose impact. When a respectable spinster well regarded in her Church who has never been heard swear suddenly issues an emphatic blasphemy, the whole congregation takes notice.
So when a chap over uses "Sorry" with his spouse, uses it several times each day to said spouse, the word is devalued, the spouse attaches no extraordinary significance to it's use.
Now my Adorable Fire Breathing MemSahib so rarely hears me use the "Sorry" word towards her, that when I do use it in a domestic emergency, eg My Adorable Fire Breathing MemSahib finds in a Suit pocket an old receipt for a Tiffany Trinket I have purchased as a gift for My Superbly Wonderful Mistress, Princess Estelle & in consequence, My Lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib goes on the domestic warpath, at an opportune moment I will humble myself before her, express my guilt as a foolish old duffer with no sense, my unwavering love for my Lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib and then fire the big gun with my expressions of Sorrow from both barrels .. and in extremis, beg for forgiveness. It has never failed me yet.
But for trivial everyday rebukes from my Lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib, I will absolutely avoid using any expression of sorrow or regret.
For example. Sweetly expressed rebuke: "you left the door open and the dogs have tracked mud across the lounge room carpet".. my response might be: "Oh I wanted some fresh air, thought the dogs was at the vets & that damn carpet has long needed a steam clean which I will expedite pronto" & beat a hasty retreat.
Or, a child that I should have been supervising has made an unholy mess indoors, or turned my Adorable Fire Breathing MemSahib's favourite flower patch into a recreation of The Somme/Paschendaele whilst playing with the hose, when my Lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib draws my attention to the Brothelytic catastrophe in her sweet dulcet tones, I (from a safe distance & provided there is no handy Purdey about) sniff and use the "Didn't want to interfere in the young child's opportunity for self expression" excuse, then add that the servants or gardener can clean up the mess or that those Irish painters can simply repaint walls covered in crayon daubings, and of course, beat a hasty retreat.

But under no circumstances will I use expressions of sorrow for what are common place rebukes from my spouse over trivial matters. Deflect, dodge & retreat on all these occasions is my strong advice.

Save using expressions of sorrow and regret for those rare, genuine and diabolical circumstances when they are truly needed and when they must have impact and a powerful life saving effect.

There's also the need to on extremely rare occasions, about once every two to three years during the first decade of matrimonial bliss, then about once every five to eight years in successive decades, when a chap simply has to gird his loins and engage his spouse at "close quarters" and reduce said spouse to tears, make her cry copiously. Personally I would rather juggle aging, sweaty Dynamite blindfolded. So great care must be used when picking the place and time for such a deadly confrontation. There's also the critically important aftermath strategy, the forgiveness and reconciliation that must be well prepared for and carefully implemented.
Done well, it's a cracker of a strategy. Get it wrong and you're headed for the Divorce Courts or an imminent departure from this mortal, breathing world, in my case, either poisoned or torn to pieces by a volley of fire from a well handled Purdey. So it's not to be undertaken on a whim. The first time I used this strategy on my Lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib I survived and only sustained one broken and three cracked ribs. My Adorable Fire Breathing MemSahib had in those halcyon days a handy left fist & I provocatively mocked it's use during the first few blows & limited my physical response to attempts to tickle delightful breasts. A gentleman never hits or beats his spouse with any intention of causing pain or injury, or for any reason, or on any occasion. Laughter is so wonderfully provocative.
So the attending physician called me a damn fool for mocking and laughing at my Adorable Fire Breathing MemSahib to incite her wrath, but he didn't regard me as a spouse beating monsters, such a conclusion had/has no basis in fact.
One of my joys from playin' WebDiplomacy is it gives me an opportunity to indulge in dummy spits in a safe environment. I respect our Almighty Mods, but I don't fear them. I do love, respect and importantly, fear the unholy wrath of my Adorable, Beautiful Fire Breathing MemSahib

CLRJames

#26 Post by CLRJames » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Grammar pedants.

Octavious

#27 Post by Octavious » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am

CLRJames wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Grammar pedants.
Their awful, arent' they.

BobMcBob

#28 Post by BobMcBob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am

Octavious wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am
CLRJames wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Grammar pedants.
Their awful, arent' they.
This seems like as good a time as any to mention that I think I'dn't've should be considered a proper contraction.
Instead of "I would not have done that.", imagine how much time you could save by simply typing "I'dn't've done that.". I'mn't sure why people have a problem with it.

damo666

#29 Post by damo666 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 am

The use of 'of' instead of 'have'.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#30 Post by flash2015 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:59 pm

The way every business feels it is essential that they MUST have my mobile number, or any number at all for me to do business with them. In the few cases I have provided my number businesses have abused it to either send me automated calls/texts I never signed up for...or to cold call me "offers" that I will never, ever approve.

If they absolutely positively need to get hold of me they can send me an email as I have my email client on my phone. There is absolutely no reason a business should have my number unless I explicitly want to give it to them.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#31 Post by flash2015 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Also double parkers...

In the NYC region, given how little parking is available in front of apartment buildings or businesses, it is inevitable that sometimes parking illegally for a short period of time (e.g. to unload cargo, pickup/dropoff passengers etc.).

My annoyance is - if you have to park illegally, why is double parking the #$%$% default first choice? So many times I have seen a perfectly good driveway or fire hydrant or bus stop right next to the place where someone is double-parking. I don't understand the reasoning here - is it "if I am going to have to park illegally, I might as well block as much traffic as possible"??? I don't understand the reasoning here. It drives me nuts...

diplomat61

#32 Post by diplomat61 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am

BobMcBob wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am
This seems like as good a time as any to mention that I think I'dn't've should be considered a proper contraction.
Instead of "I would not have done that.", imagine how much time you could save by simply typing "I'dn't've done that.". I'mn't sure why people have a problem with it.
I am a lapsed grammar pedant; I don't mind how you mark-up your writing, as long as the meaning is clear and done consistently.

Thus, I must point out that a problem with I'dn't've could also be a contraction of "I could not have done that" or "I should not have done that".

diplomat61

#33 Post by diplomat61 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am

Another thing that gets my goat is people who use "acronym" as a synonym for abbreviation.

LASER and SCUBA are acronyms (these days nouns too), UK and USA are not; all are abbreviations.

mdrltc
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#34 Post by mdrltc » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 pm

People who use 'insure' when they meant 'ensure'.
People who ask you to to something and thank you in advance.

Octavious

#35 Post by Octavious » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm

diplomat61 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am
Another thing that gets my goat is people who use "acronym" as a synonym for abbreviation.

LASER and SCUBA are acronyms (these days nouns too), UK and USA are not; all are abbreviations.
Radar was an acronym by all accounts, yet lidar never was, being instead a portmanteau like electrocution. You can understand why people get confused.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#36 Post by StevenC. » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:34 pm

A pet peeve of mine, huh? Okay.

Enslaved moisture capsules infuriate me. That's right.

Enslaved moisture capsules. (or whatever they call them. Uh...water bottles?)

Yes, these "water bottles" may be good portable carriers of enslaved moisture but, in the summertime, they become more of a nuisance than a benefit when you fill them with cold water. Liberated moisture from the humid air immediately condenses onto the outside of the "bottle", leaving it an infuriatingly dripping mess. That's why if you're going to be a proponent of slavery (of moisture), at least use a vacuum-insulated "water bottle".

diplomat61

#37 Post by diplomat61 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm
diplomat61 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am

Radar was an acronym by all accounts, yet lidar never was, being instead a portmanteau like electrocution. You can understand why people get confused.
Wikipedia disagrees with you about Lidar. But, should any offender, present Lidar/Radar as their defence, I would be lenient because it shows an understanding of the concepts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar

diplomat61

#38 Post by diplomat61 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 pm

StevenC. wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:34 pm
A pet peeve of mine, huh? Okay.

Enslaved moisture capsules infuriate me. That's right.

Enslaved moisture capsules. (or whatever they call them. Uh...water bottles?)

Yes, these "water bottles" may be good portable carriers of enslaved moisture but, in the summertime, they become more of a nuisance than a benefit when you fill them with cold water. Liberated moisture from the humid air immediately condenses onto the outside of the "bottle", leaving it an infuriatingly dripping mess. That's why if you're going to be a proponent of slavery (of moisture), at least use a vacuum-insulated "water bottle".
Freedom for moisture!

bunp

#39 Post by bunp » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Open mics in the professional world or when gaming.

Daily I have to listen to mouth breathers, people eating, dogs barking, and children screaming.

Mute your mic if you aren't talking or better yet use push to talk.

Octavious

#40 Post by Octavious » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:05 pm

diplomat61 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Wikipedia disagrees with you about Lidar. But, should any offender, present Lidar/Radar as their defence, I would be lenient because it shows an understanding of the concepts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar
Nope, I don't think it does. Me and wiki don't always see eye to eye, but we seem to agree this time