Anonymous players and Invite codes !!!

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Scruffer

Anonymous players and Invite codes !!!

#1 Post by Scruffer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Hello all.
WHAT is the big deal ?
I really fail to see the point of creating games and then, not letting anybody in to play them.
Why anonymous ? I've nothing to hide...
Invite codes ? If you really need to filtre people, why not just make your own personal game site ?
Can somebody PLEASE explain why people act this way on what - or so I thought - is an open and welcoming site.
I'm very dissapointed.

Ezio

Re: Anonymous players and Invite codes !!!

#2 Post by Ezio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm

It's a lot easier to setup a game with invite code than it is to make my personal game site if I just wanna play diplomacy with friends.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:09 pm

All games with invite codes are private games for friends, as Ezio says. We encourage private games between friends. There are a lot of public games as well though. What type of game are you looking for?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by Squigs44 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 pm

First off - private games. I can think of two reasons for private games. First, when you are playing with people you know in real life. If you have a group of seven people you know in real life and you want to play together, this is helpful to make sure some random person doesn't join the game before all your friends. Second, if you want to play a specific kind of game (like the school of war games, or I played in a army build only game), you can make a private game, advertise it on the forum, and give the password to those that agree to play by those rules. Basically if you have a specific group of people and don't want some rando joining your game, a password is the way to go.

Second - anonymous games. A lot of people play multiple games on this site, and prefer not to have their previous games with players influence their future games. Playing anonymously makes sure that you get a clean slate everygame and you don't have to worry about your reputation for stabbing people coming back to haunt you. It's also useful for tournament play, so that people don't try to eliminate someone just because they are ahead on points, or ally someone who is lower on points. Basically anonymity makes sure that the game stays within the game, and people aren't acting based on previous games and results.

Yigg

#5 Post by Yigg » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Am I the only one who read the post from Scruffer in a Seinfeld voice?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#6 Post by Squigs44 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 pm

I should add - just because the option exists doesn't mean you have to create or join games with those options. Less than a quarter of games on webDip are private and there are slightly more non Anon games over Anon games, so finding public non Anon games (or creating one and finding players to join) is not difficult.

Click here for a list of public non Anon games that you can join right now.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#7 Post by Szpoti » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:29 pm

I've begun playing only anon games after I had been explicitly ganged up by the other players only because I was a mod, or - another time, because I had 'a lot' of points. Anonymity liberates you from this sort of inconvenience.
Anon games also allow for playing with the same group of people without a risk of committing meta-gaming. And if you want this group to retain its integrity, you password-protect it.
As Squigs44 said, the site offers such an option, and players are free to decide. And whilst they may have millions reasons to create an anon private game, they certainly don't do it because they are snobbish and obnoxious, or have anything to hide.

Carl Tuckerson

#8 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 pm

I play anonymous games because non-anonymous gunboat games sound rife for exploitation. Though, it would be somewhat interesting I think...

I like invite-only games cuz I'm a snob

Claesar

#9 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 pm
I play anonymous games because non-anonymous gunboat games sound rife for exploitation.
I believe non-anonymous Gunboats aren't even possible anymore. If you try to create one, it'll just become anonymous instead. And rightly so.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#10 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 pm
I played in a army build only game
That sounds fascinating. How did it go?