A Call to e.m.c

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Percy Williams

Re: A Call to e.m.c

#21 Post by Percy Williams » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:29 am

Well done.

Waaaait. Is this a joke about mafia players and hammering?
Blink once for yes, twice for no.

Claesar

#22 Post by Claesar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:35 am

No, it's obviously about the banhammer.. And it's a work of art.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#23 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:18 am

Ideas on a Part II and Part III are forming in my head. I wonder what webdippers will be featured in the next vignettes from New Congo!

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#24 Post by TrPrado » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:18 am
Ideas on a Part II and Part III are forming in my head. I wonder what webdippers will be featured in the next vignettes from New Congo!
Oh me! Pick me!

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#25 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 pm

TrPrado wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Oh me! Pick me!
Nah. I want the story to have a likeable hero this time =P

Claesar

#26 Post by Claesar » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 pm

Dargo doesn't experience many adventures in the retirement home though.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#27 Post by dargorygel » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I have the wildest adventures there... We played hockey with bed pans last night

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#28 Post by TrPrado » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Who said anything about being the hero?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#29 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:18 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:06 pm
TrPrado wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Oh me! Pick me!
Nah. I want the story to have a likeable hero this time =P
Harsh.

Carl Tuckerson

#30 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:32 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
I'd like to audition for a gig as a safari guide. My credentials are that my entire wardrobe consists of khaki button down short sleeve shirts, white tanks, khaki shorts and boots; I've been wrestling alligators in the swamps of the Deep South since I was a boy; and I recently moved to Oklahoma specifically to hunt down a tornado and strangle it with my bare hands, and since arriving the tornado activity has been down 30%, presumably out of sheer fear of my presence.
Also, I have a big ego but find humor at my expense really funny, so I'm basically the perfect heel.
Hire me.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#31 Post by TrPrado » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:57 am

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:32 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
I'd like to audition for a gig as a safari guide. My credentials are that my entire wardrobe consists of khaki button down short sleeve shirts, white tanks, khaki shorts and boots; I've been wrestling alligators in the swamps of the Deep South since I was a boy; and I recently moved to Oklahoma specifically to hunt down a tornado and strangle it with my bare hands, and since arriving the tornado activity has been down 30%, presumably out of sheer fear of my presence.
Also, I have a big ego but find humor at my expense really funny, so I'm basically the perfect heel.
Hire me.
Tornados are up from last year don’t be fooled

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#32 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 am

TrPrado wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:57 am
But what about the divergence from the historic average? That's really all we care about on matters of climate.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#33 Post by dargorygel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 am
TrPrado wrote:
But what about the divergence from the historic average? That's really all we care about on matters of climate.
And are they really down? Or are they disguised? Maybe the press has been bought off by the Tornado Union, and Tornado Events are being downplayed or ignored...

Percy Williams

#34 Post by Percy Williams » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:14 pm
Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 am
TrPrado wrote:
And are they really down? Or are they disguised? Maybe the press has been bought off by the Tornado Union, and Tornado Events are being downplayed or ignored...
Well this blows! How am I supposed to know how many or even what tornadoes are?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#35 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 am

Tales of New Congo - Episode 2 is officially dropping this weekend. Tell your neighbors and relatives.

e.m.c^42

go Tombomb, go! Bless our eyes with glory and charming sin

#36 Post by e.m.c^42 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:55 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 am
Tales of New Congo - Episode 2 is officially dropping this weekend. Tell your neighbors and relatives.
:hyped:

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#37 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Tales of New Congo

2: Real Police Work

“Jesus Christ…”

Officer Bo pulled out a small handheld tape recorder and looked down at the carnage at his feet.

“Three males. Deceased. Appears to be blunt force trauma to the head. No sign of a weapon, no footsteps. Moving in for closer inspection.”

Bo pulled out a camera and snapped several pictures of the corpses and the immediate vicinity. The flash of the bulb illuminating puddles of blood, rippling from the steady rain coming down. The rain flowed into a nearby sewer, wiping away evidence by the second. Bo reached into the first victims pocket searching for contents but found nothing. Nothing on the other two bodies either. He looked around, taking in the bleak surroundings. He knew that unless there was a witness, the chances of closing this case were slim. Probably just a robbery gone wrong, meaning no motive and no witnesses. He wished he could toss the bodies in the river himself and save himself the paperwork. Paperwork was all this job was anymore. He joined the force wanting to make a difference, wanting to help people. Instead, he spent more time signing forms than closing cases.

“Three more years until my pension” he thought, turning away from the bodies. He handed the camera to another officer on the scene.

“Finish gathering evidence. Get what you can, and I’ll prepare the reports tomorrow.”

“Where are you going?” the office said.

“The bar,” replied Bo. Though by the bar, he meant Foxy’s strip club. Cheap drinks, but more importantly, there was a much better chance of him stumbling into some actual police work there each night compared to sitting at his desk filing papers. Plus, the views weren’t bad either.

Just as he was walking away, he saw it. Out of the corner of his eye, a small pencil laying half covered in mud next to one of the bodies. He walked back over, reached down and picked up the pencil. No need to use gloves with this rain. He didn’t know what he was expecting to find, if anything. It was likely pure boredom that was propelling him at this point. Etched in the side of the pencil was New Congo Prep Academy. A dark green oblong eraser capped the pencil, covering the standard eraser end. Probably nothing he thought. He was wrong…

------

The next day Bo pulled his police cruiser into the small school parking lot. It was filled with old exhausted cars, several parking spaces unusable with potholes which littered the lot. Bo stepped out of his cruiser and walked into the school. It was relatively small, with only a couple of classrooms and a recreation area. Bo walked into the first classroom, faces turning abruptly at the interruption.

“Hello children,” said Bo, “I am with the New Congo Police Department. Don’t get worried now, everything is just fine, I’m here to talk to you about keeping yourself safe. We are going to go through what to do when strangers approach you, and how to handle emergencies that may happen on the playground. The key is being prepared.” He smiled warmly at the eager eyes looking back at him.

“First though, I need everyone to sign this sheet so that I know you were here for our safety training. Please sign and pass it along.”

Bo began talking. His mouth was speaking, but his eyes and ears where focused elsewhere – he was not listening to what he was saying. It was easy though; he had given this talk many times before. This was about as close to real police work as the mountain of paperwork sitting on his desk. Just three more years. His eyes focused back in, watching each child sign the form and pass it along. That is when he saw it – a nondescript boy, messy hair, a little large for his age, but dressed nicely signed the form with a pencil – capped with a dark green eraser. Bingo.

Bo finished relaying his useless, never to applied information to the kids, and the children clapped unenthusiastically when he was finished. The bell rang and the children began packing up their belongings and filed out of the classroom. As this boy was leaving, Bo put his hand gently on the child’s shoulder, looked down at him and said, “Do you mind waiting here for a second? You are not in any trouble son.”

“Uhh. Ok.” The boy looked scared.

“What is your name son?”

“Alex,” the boy replied.

“Ok. Alex. Do you live around here with your parents?”

“Yes. I live with my mom. We live over on Jessop street.”

“Ok. Were you at home last night with your mom?”

“Yes. I was doing my math homework after school.” Alex replied.

“Ok. Good. And if I asked your mom, would she say the same thing?”

“Yes. She sure would. She helps me with my homework sometimes. Am I in trouble?”

“No, no… not at all,” answered Bo.

“Good. I’ve got to go now, or I will miss the bus,” said the boy. And Bo couldn’t help but notice the faintest of smiles forming on his lips.

“Ok. Thanks for your help.”

Bo’s intuition said there was more to this situation that appeared, but he could not keep questioning a kid over a pencil. And certainly, he could not ask the kid about a triple homicide. He resigned himself to the fact that he would stop by tomorrow and confirm with the mother that her son was home all night. Then he could share some more of the details with her to see if there was any fire behind this faintest trace of smoke. Another solid day of chasing leads he thought, shaking his head. He started the car and headed to Foxy’s for the second night in a row.

Several hours, and several whiskeys later, Bo stepped out of the bar, the cool night air welcome on his flush face. He checked his watch, 12:35 am. He fumbled in his pocket for his keys while he walked, but it proved too difficult in his current state. He stopped, looked down, and managed to wrestle them from the black hole that was his front right pocket. Feeling accomplished, he approached his car, but realized something wasn’t quite right. The car leaned forward and looked askew. Bo’s eyes finally angled down and he saw the flat front left tire. Shit he thought. He’d changed many tires in his life, but it wasn’t the most enjoyable thing. He took out his keys and inserted them into the trunk to search for the spare. He heard foosteps. Sudden footsteps. He tried to turn, but it was too late. He felt a crush against the back of his head, and the world went black.

Bo woke up, his mind fuzzy, and tried to wipe his eyes. That is when he noticed he couldn’t move his arms. He tried again frantically, but realized they were bound behind his body. His eyes searched around, and he became aware he was sitting in the back seat of his cruiser. He looked outside – Foxy’s parking lot was not in view. Instead it was just the blackness of an alleyway. Nondescript brick walls and a dumpster were the only things that he could see.

“Ello friend.” The voice came from the front passenger seat.

“Oh. Sleepy bugger is awake eh?” This one from the front seat.

“Who are you? What do you want?” asked Bo.

“You can call me Georgie. This is my pal Ozzie. And we want to create a better world.”

The voices were high pitched, but Bo couldn’t get a look at their faces. He jumped suddenly as the door directly next to him suddenly opened, and a small framed body entered the car.

“Ello copper.” The voice was familiar, and so was the face. It was Alex from the school.

“I see here you’ve met Ozzie and Georgie. You see, we’re going to make this city great. We’ve been oppressed for far too long. Rules, chores, teachers, coppers. All fucking jokes.” His tone went from playful to serious in seconds. An anger emanated from his gaze.

“You listen now copper. We are the Churchie Boys. And we gonna fix this place. And you gonna stay out of our way or you will go wee- wee-wee all the way into the ground pig. Ya comply?"

Before Bo could answer, Alex reached his hand forward and took something from Ozzie in the front seat. He opened his palm and showed it to Bo. It was an egg. Bo’s face scrunched in confusion as he tried to understand this kid in front of him. Suddenly Alex’s hand flashed forward and slapped Bo in the forehead. The cold liquid of the egg ran down Bo’s face, he closed his eyes to protect them. The Churchie boys in the front erupted in gleeful laughter. Alex picked up the radio from the front seat and stretched the cord to the back.

“Piggy number 1 calling home base. We’ve got a loose piggy on the corner of 4th and Jefferson. Looks like he’s been eating garbage and got egg all over his face. Sad creature. Needs to get cleaned up. Please send the piggy catchers. Churchie Boys forever!”

Another eruption of laughter and just like that the boys were gone. Bo sat in the back seat and waited. He had prayed for real police work every day for years, and now he sat bound and embarrassed by a bunch of unstable kids. Unstable, but dangerous. He sat and waited, hoping he knew the officer who was going to pick him up.

-----

Bo sat at his desk. It had been a week since the officers found him bound in his own police cruiser with egg all over his face. That was less embarrassing than filing the report entailing that it had been a bunch of kids who had done it. He shook his head as he signed the forms in front of him. A week with no leads. No leads on the murders, and no leads on his assault. Nobody had heard of these Churchie Boys. He checked his watch. 11:30. Two and half hours closer to his pension that when he came in this morning. I can’t keep doing this, he thought. He picked up the phone and dialed a number he had not used in quite some time. He hoped he was not going to regret this.

“Yes?” the voice on the other end answered.

“The Churchie Boys. Are you familiar with them?”

“Yes. Minor gang. Kids. Burglarize, vandalize, that sort of thing. The rot of today’s youth.”

“They do more than that,” Bo replied, “They killed three people last week. And then they assaulted a police officer.”

“Well that is different. We do not tolerate that kind of behavior here.”

“Listen,” bo said, “Just tell me where to find them and I can bring them in. I’ve got support at the station and can break them in interrogation. I need this. I want this for my city. Don’t do anything dumb, we can handle this one.”

“They hang out at 1901 Melbourne Ave.”

“Thank you.” Bo hung up the phone and made a couple more calls. He would have several officers with him this time. Bring them in and make them break. Real police work. He could feel his pulse quickening at the thought of it. Tomorrow would be a good day. He would be the one to bring those Churchie Boys to justice.

-----

Bo sat in the passenger seat of the cruiser as it sped west, part of a small convoy of three vehicles. He was wide awake, fidgety even, despite being unable to sleep last night. For the tenth time in the past hour, he checked his gear. Gun loaded. Bullet proof vest secure. Radio on. These Chuchie Boys wouldn’t know what hit them until after they were all in handcuffs. He smiled as the car continued west.

Suddenly the radio cracked on, and a voice filled the cruiser. Reported fire. Large. Melbourne Ave between 8th and 9th. Please respond.

“Isn’t that where we are going?” Bo asked the officer driving. He did not need to wait for an answer. He saw the smoke as they turned the corner. It billowed into the sky, black as tar. The car sped ahead, sirens now permeating the humid air. Shit! Shit! Shit! He could see the flames now, dancing out the second story windows of the brick building. Above the door was the address: 1901 Melbourne.

Bo opened the door before the car even made a complete stop and hopped out onto the street. The blaze was completely out of control and a crowd was now watching, mouths agape. Bo’s eyes searched the surrounding for Alex, Georgie, or Ozzie but did not see any of them. What he did see, however, did not surprise him.

About a quarter mile north of the fire, a small statured man walked slowly away from the fire. He was easy to spot because most people were congregating towards the fire to gawk. The man glided along the sidewalk, dressed in a three-piece suit. He stopped at a black luxury sedan, reached into his inside jacket pocket and pulled out a cigarette and lit it. He turned back toward the fire, locked eyes with Bo and smiled. Then he stepped into the sedan and drove away.

I never should have called him, Bo thought. I could have found this place myself. A fellow officer approached Bo and turned to the fire and watched.

“What a mess,” the man said, “Imagine the paperwork we are going to have to do for this one.”

THE END.

e.m.c^42

#38 Post by e.m.c^42 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 pm

did you just burn those kids alive lol

will we ever find out who our mysterious suit man is?
shall Prado and his crabs ever show up in Foxy's club?
does bo escape his paperwork hell?

Find out in the next part of Tombomb's glorious serial, Tales of the Congo: III, published exclusively at webDipForums.

(i've heard a rumour, the more +1's he receives, the faster the writing occurs :D)

go feed tombomb as a dutiful citizen ought to

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#39 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 pm

I think I’ve found my agent!

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#40 Post by TrPrado » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 am

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 pm
did you just burn those kids alive lol

will we ever find out who our mysterious suit man is?
shall Prado and his crabs ever show up in Foxy's club?
does bo escape his paperwork hell?

Find out in the next part of Tombomb's glorious serial, Tales of the Congo: III, published exclusively at webDipForums.

(i've heard a rumour, the more +1's he receives, the faster the writing occurs :D)

go feed tombomb as a dutiful citizen ought to
You see the best part is I immediately knew who bo was calling and burst out laughing.